Is this normal? (Two questions in H4)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Elwin
Peasant
Peasant

Is this normal? (Two questions in H4)

Unread postby Elwin » 28 Oct 2007, 13:08

1. I never seem to get a very high score. The highest that I got for a scenario was 730 and that was like double the score that I received for any other scenario. I usually perform well in the Nature Campaign with an average of about 2000+ score points each time but let me ask is it even possible to receive the score of a Megadragon and that if you're just playing the original H4 if you get a score that is high enough for a Megadragon would you just get a Black Dragon instead? Because the Megadragons weren't introduced at that time.

2. Does anybody think that the original H4 campaigns are just too easy? Armies are just a waste of time. I NEVER use armies, and I just use one hero to travel through the entire campaign by themselves. It's actually easier than using an army with just heroes because having every unit move is a waste of time and who cares about armies when you have a set-up of either A.) Dragon Strength + Disintegration (Elwin) or B.) Hypnotize + Guardian Angel (Emilia). Does anybody else do this, I mean for the whole CAMPAIGN which means that you NEVER recruited?
In the diameter of the Universe, we are but a single flame. To say that we're insignificant is to give us....too little credit. But if the universe chooses you to be part of its plans, then you better let go because it makes it more fun when you don't know what's about to happen next!

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 28 Oct 2007, 14:26

1. I never really paid attention to this, but I recall pepak wrote an article on it somewhere. You might ask him (and read this page: https://www.celestialheavens.com/167).

2. That's what I think - after the first mission. Just try Emilia's, or Tanni's, or Waerjak's campaign on Champion difficulty...
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Is this normal? (Two questions in H4)

Unread postby pepak » 28 Oct 2007, 16:55

Elwin wrote:1. I never seem to get a very high score.
Look at the page Banedon supplied. It lists all factors which influence the score. After that, it is just the matter of maximizing your score. You need to check a map carefully and decide, what is reachable (and/or worthwhile) and focusing on that. For example, it makes little sense to try to get the 250 point bonus for extremely fast completion because it is simply not possible to walk across most maps in such a limited time, but if you happen to play a map where it is possible, it is definitely worth it to try. For example, in the first H4 campaign (Lysander), the fourth (I think) map is just barely achievable in 7 days, providing you with a huge bonus.

Why don't you go to http://heroes.pepak.net/rtb/ - you'll find all maps from Round Table Battles I joined, with a ton of savegames tracking almost every step (I tend to create 50+ savegames per game turn).
2. Does anybody think that the original H4 campaigns are just too easy?
With the exception of the first map of some campaigns (Might, Chaos), you are correct. If you want challenge, go with user-made maps, e.g. A Wind of Thorns.
Does anybody else do this, I mean for the whole CAMPAIGN which means that you NEVER recruited?
Pretty much, yes. I do recruit quite often, but that's for movement optimalization purposes, not for battles.

Elwin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Elwin » 28 Oct 2007, 18:26

That's simply how ironic it is. In the last scenario of the Elwin and Shaera campaign, Elwin mentioned that the way he organized troops was ameuturish at the least and that Harke was a great tactician, but when I actually fought Harke with my one-man Elwin I stalled him and kep casting Dragon Strength / Disintegration on his troops. Finally Harke ran out of arrows and he walked over to me, hit me for low 10-30 damages, then I killed him in one hit by retaliation.
In the diameter of the Universe, we are but a single flame. To say that we're insignificant is to give us....too little credit. But if the universe chooses you to be part of its plans, then you better let go because it makes it more fun when you don't know what's about to happen next!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”