Baldur's Gate

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Oct 2007, 13:27

Irenicus is a cake walk compared to the Demogorgon .... he is insane, you need to be on top of things to take the b@stard out, no doubt about, but I have done it before .... took a while :D and a Dragons Breath helped
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 23 Oct 2007, 14:11

The first time I defeated Demogorgon, he killed off 4 of my party before I could cut him down to ½ hp. With only my halfling swashbuckler and the ToB fighter who must not be named, I took him down. It was kind of strange, but those two had no problems with him whatsoever. Took some time, though.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 23 Oct 2007, 14:27

Carsomyr really helps out in the Demogorgon fight and pretty much every other fight too.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Oct 2007, 14:58

Yep :D As for Irenicus solo it took a few dragon breath spells and a horrid wilting or two. Fun but it felt so wrong considering that it's a difficult endgame battle otherwise :) It was very challenging the first couple of times I tried with a full party.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Oct 2007, 18:41

*leaving two characters on the walls of Saradush, shooting at fire giants, while I go to the supermarket*
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Oct 2007, 20:30

Heheee.... these guys sure had fun making this game. Here's a converation I just had in Saradush. Keep in mind the protagonist is female...

Kiser: "Interlopers in my abode? Perhaps you have mistaken this edifice for an establishment of commerce. I assure you, you are mistaken. If you vacate these premises forthwith I shall exonarate you for the transgression of your intrusion."
Me: "I need to ask you a few questions, Kiser."
Kiser: "I am at a distinct disadvantage. You have the privilege of knowing my appellation, yet your own moniker remains something of an enigma."
Me: "Why are you using so many big words? Are you trying to make me feel stupid?"
Kiser: "My utilization of complex locution is more a reflection of my own superincumbent mental acuity than an aspersion on your circumscribed lexicon."
Me: "Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."
Kiser: "Uh... ahem... well, how can I help you?"

:D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Oct 2007, 22:00

I still remember that one :D You get it even if you are male.
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Oct 2007, 17:59

Indeed, but it was much funnier as a woman. :)

The game doesn't play quite as well as a woman, actually. Clearly more work put into it being male; I suspect they did that first and then added the possibility of playing as female later. The dialogues are my primary concern. Some of them lack spell checking; I am referred to as a "he" and "a man" on a couple of occasions, although all titulations are "My Lady" and the like. So I'm guessing the creators set up the phrases "My Lady" etc. to be activated in all text if I'm female, the same way they insert the name you choose in all text - whilst the dialogue text had to be checked manually.

The romances are strange. I'm running without mods right now, so lesbian romances shouldn't be possible. The one with Anomen worked (although I told him to sod off), but now that I'm in ToB Viccy and Jaheira both refer to their love for me in conversation. I suppose it could be (and probably is) a matter if friendship, and that it's just my dirty mind playing tricks on me, but I keep finding these references a little... on the edge. Jaheira keeps saying she doesn't want to "lose me", and on one occasion she said I was "the one she loved". I'm going crazy here...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 24 Oct 2007, 21:30

Probably a bug, I doubt it was intended to be this way. As for Anomen I was curious to see his romance :ill: Ugh, he's a worse person than he shows on the outside. What to expect from a person that goes chaotic and can attack you if he fails his knighthood test?
Also I had that bug where the guy that informs you of your sister's death spawned in Underdark and then disappeared before telling me anything. Thankfully after a reload he did not appear and I saw him on the surface.

Anomen's decision with that merchant is just ironic. If he kills him he is innocent and if not then he's guilty.
- Metathron

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Oct 2007, 04:44

I'm downloading EasyTutu at the moment. It sounds promising.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Oct 2007, 23:41

Ususally I just skip over the whole story bit since I've seen it before, but since it's been a while, I thought I'd have the full dialogue with some of the characters. When talking to Cyric, the reigning God of Murder, he said he couldn't step in personally because the other gods would intervene. Also, he said, "Ao the Overfather has an interest as well" and that he wanted the whole Bhaalspawn thing to play itself out without godly intervention.

This is in fact a direct parallel to The Iliad. Zevs refused the other gods to continue their meddling in the war. Strange that I didn't notice this until now.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Oct 2007, 14:06

The old "I can only give vague hints and not intervene directly (even though my direct intervention could solve the whole thing with little to no fuss)"-routine is fairly common :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 26 Oct 2007, 20:30

Ethric wrote:The old "I can only give vague hints and not intervene directly (even though my direct intervention could solve the whole thing with little to no fuss)"-routine is fairly common :)
Exactly. I think Elminster could singlehandedly solve the crisis and beat Sarevok. Maybe he's too busy.
Thundermaps

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Oct 2007, 20:42

Well, it could upset the precious "balance" if he intervened personally, perhaps. He did say that what course I would take would be my choice alone.

Man, next round I'll try starting up BG1 again, as a chaotic neutral dwarf... :D

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 26 Oct 2007, 20:57

Kalah wrote:Well, it could upset the precious "balance" if he intervened personally, perhaps. He did say that what course I would take would be my choice alone.

Man, next round I'll try starting up BG1 again, as a chaotic neutral dwarf... :D
Balance preservation be damned. It's just another thing that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

If you do start again, I recommend using that Easytutu I mentioned. It lets you use superior graphics of Baldur's Gate 2 and all the skill classes of the latter (like Sorcerer which I'm playing at the moment).

Pretty impressive speedrun (only 30 minutes).
Thundermaps

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Oct 2007, 21:58

Humakt wrote: Balance preservation be damned. It's just another thing that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
I blame Star Trek.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Oct 2007, 22:00

Confirmed. Definite bug in ToB. The protagonist is female, yet the romance completed itself. Everything but the sex, that is... (drat). Also, in the end text, it said nothing could separate the two, and J was almost always "with him". So, I'm a guy again, basically.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Oct 2007, 01:02

at least it's not a game breaker
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2007, 19:51

Managed to get BG1 to work without the chopping. It's slower than BG2, and if I tire of it, I guess I can try that EasyTutu again - even if the voices were all screwed up.

Currently playing a Chaotic Neutral dwarf... moahahahaa

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Oct 2007, 19:19

I got to Nashkel mines when it started getting choppy again, so I started again with the EasyTutu. The graphics engine is so much quicker that the game will go much quicker. Also, I could start with different/better stats:

Class: Wizard Slayer
Skills:
War Hammer **
Two Weapons **
Stats:
Str: 18/79
Dex: 17
Con: 19
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

I'm gonna crush every skull between Amn and Faerun... moahahahaaa!

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”