The first TotE review...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

The first TotE review...

Unread postby Metathron » 18 Oct 2007, 00:19

...at IGN: http://pc.ign.com/articles/828/828077p1.html

The game got a rating of 7.9 overall, and the biggest criticism seems to be not giving the player the chance to dig in the orc campaign first.

They also made a strange remark in the gameplay part of their final grade:
7.5 Gameplay
We like the new Rage mechanic and how it forces the Orcs to play more aggressively. Would love to see more automation like the caravans of the previous game.
:|
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Oct 2007, 01:22

He means he'd be happy with less micromanagement, but I fail to see which other area of the game could be automated.

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 18 Oct 2007, 02:02

I posted my reply to the author, stating that there are caravans in the game. :mad: Dunno what he's been taking. ;|
I THINK SO THEREFORE I AM

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 18 Oct 2007, 03:58

Angelspit wrote:He means he'd be happy with less micromanagement, but I fail to see which other area of the game could be automated.
Oooh, I know this one, flaggable windmills could be put in!

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 Oct 2007, 05:26

"Those who enjoyed the original game can supplement their experience if they're willing to pay the price just for one extra faction and a new campaign."
That's a strange conclusion for a guy who, in his actual review, lists new things for over a page.
ZZZzzzz....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Oct 2007, 11:39

That's a strange comment seeing how a new faction in an expansion is plenty... i mean the max i ever heard of is 2 extra factions, and that's very rare.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 18 Oct 2007, 13:41

I think sometimes these reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. I've read that game reviewers are usually under tight deadlines and have to review a lot of games per week. My guess is this guy only played it a couple of hours - tops - before moving on to his next review.

NOTE: I haven't played Tribes yet myself, so I cannot comment on the specifics of the review.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Oct 2007, 17:03

Reviewers is just like us, like an all day member of a greater community. I really dont take reviewers to seriously, since they:

1: Are not gonna ruin my own hopes for a game I yet havent tried but want to play.

2: Most of them are bad reviewers, seriously...

3: Hype, overrating and plenty marketing noise about a particular game are of course factors that influence reviewers..just..like..that. Making it hard for reviewers to be neutral, which after I have learned a golden rule, no matter if it is a game, film or music reviewer.

And that guy..that guy who reviewed TotE are nitpicking about getting to play the Orc faction sonner in-game..Lame, man I think its a good bait to save the newest for the last, keeping the player interested in other parts of the game before he/she get to the part they really want..to play the Orc faction to the fullest :)

And indeed he seems not to be aware of the caravan and how nice it actually is, looking away from the caravan moments the A.I have and caravan blocking.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Oct 2007, 17:30

PhoenixReborn wrote:Oooh, I know this one, flaggable windmills could be put in!
I don't mind visiting windmills on a weekly basis (or whenever I need the bonus). Sometimes it gives me secondary heroes something to do until the next hero chain.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Oct 2007, 17:44

Pros and cons with everything.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 19 Oct 2007, 00:45

I guess this is as good a place to post this question than anything.

Should I buy Tribes of the East? I've not actually bought Hammers of Fate, actually, I didn't find Heroes 5 fun enough to persist with. Judging from the reviews the Orcs are going to be pretty boring to play, but I don't know if I actually have the patience to play through all those missions again (especially if it's still painfully slow).

Opinions?
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 19 Oct 2007, 10:33

Well it`s better than HoF or original game, but how much? Hard to say.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 19 Oct 2007, 11:28

Banedon: that's a toughie.

I don't think you'll find yourself playing much of any expansion if the original HOMMV didn't do it for you. The core game, expectedly, remains basically the same, for better or for worse; the factions only add more pizzazz. What's worse, most of the more glaring problems like performance and AI haven't been solved, and it's safe to say they will never be.

More importantly, and even if you get past the annoyances, in my book V doesn't have a fraction of the staying power of old versions like II or III. Then again, part of that could be series burnout and not entirely attributable to the game's many flaws or the developers' incompetence, so take that with a grain of salt.

Having said all that, the new races do add variety and colorfulness to the proceedings. They may revitalize the game for you, if only for a while. If your beef is with the silly puzzle-based campaigns or the moronic AI or the lousy performance, I'm afraid you'd be best skipping it altogether.

If you have a powerful rig and have time to smoke off until something more interesting comes by (Disciples 3, wink, wink), V still is a decent neutral-stack-fighting game.

Oh, and the music rocks.

Khel

Return to “Heroes V-VI”