What was the Forge incident?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Oct 2007, 18:59

Deadguy118 wrote:The forge being cut is one factor of the beginning of the end for NWC and 3do, the others include the heroes chronicles that nobody bought and are impossible to find.
Let's just forget about all the other crappy games 3DO published that no one heard about.... if M&M was the only game 3DO published #3's sales would have kept them out of the crapper...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 13 Oct 2007, 21:28

The forge being cut is one factor of the begining of the end for NWC and 3do, the others include the heroes chronicles that nobody bought and are impossible to find.
Another BS about 3do bankruptcy. Now with forge.. jeez. Again and again - ALL. HoMM. games. were. successful. And chronicles too, because they needed tiny budget for production.
The most possible (and the only one I see) reason of 3do bankruptcy - are debts from unsuccessful 3do game console production.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 14 Oct 2007, 02:55

MistWeaver wrote:The most possible (and the only one I see) reason of 3do bankruptcy - are debts from unsuccessful 3do game console production.
When did 3DO stop making the 3DO? 1996, was it?

I highly doubt 3DO was doomed to die for the entirety of its software-making lifespan. ;)

Something tells me that you meant to say "debts from unsuccessful console games produced by 3DO." The way you phrased it refers to the 3DO game console.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 14 Oct 2007, 12:42

ThunderTitan wrote:. But i've always found HoMM expansions lacking in inspiration... even the art seemed crappier.
Is that also your opinion of H2: PoL?

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 14 Oct 2007, 17:04

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:. But i've always found HoMM expansions lacking in inspiration... even the art seemed crappier.
Is that also your opinion of H2: PoL?
PoL's art may not be crappier as a standalone, but everything certainly looks out of place. It's all a different style than in H2.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 14 Oct 2007, 18:25

Well, the only new art anyway were the artifacts and hero portraits.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Oct 2007, 19:38

You know i was never sure what exactly PoL added besides the campaigns... (i did get it only after H4).

But i was refering more to H3's and H4's expansions, PoL's art isn't as gratingly off... (but to be fair in H4 exp i just didn't like the new creatures, so they might not really look that out of place).
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 14 Oct 2007, 20:41

Darmani wrote: When did 3DO stop making the 3DO? 1996, was it?
So you think "stop making" is enough ? And how about millions already spent on production ?
Darmani wrote: Something tells me that you meant to say "debts from unsuccessful console games produced by 3DO."
Yeah .. and 700$ price has nothing to do with it

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Oct 2007, 20:56

MistWeaver wrote:
Darmani wrote: When did 3DO stop making the 3DO? 1996, was it?
So you think "stop making" is enough ? And how about millions already spent on production ?
Darmani wrote: Something tells me that you meant to say "debts from unsuccessful console games produced by 3DO."
Yeah .. and 700$ price has nothing to do with it
Yeah, the price was a big deal for costumers and the future then wasn't sure because there were no great releases. Only big release was the anouncement of the playstation, 3do banned the project after that... Too bad they showed no balls...

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 15 Oct 2007, 00:33

Yes, I know the 3DO probably had a lot of debt left over from the 3DO, but I somehow doubt that they were doomed to bankruptcy over their entire lifespan of making games. They had quite a few profitable blockbusters over that period that could easily overcome millions in debt.

Besides, you make the assumption that 3DO was initially debt-financed. I know that they later also had equity financing - they were publicly traded, and chances are Trip Hawkins injected a good deal of cash into the company at founding.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 15 Oct 2007, 02:22

Darmani wrote:Yes, I know the 3DO probably had a lot of debt left over from the 3DO, but I somehow doubt that they were doomed to bankruptcy over their entire lifespan of making games. They had quite a few profitable blockbusters over that period that could easily overcome millions in debt.

Besides, you make the assumption that 3DO was initially debt-financed. I know that they later also had equity financing - they were publicly traded, and chances are Trip Hawkins injected a good deal of cash into the company at founding.
We cant really argue about that thing because we dont know any numbers. On other hand I highly doubt that they had some kind of extremely unsuccessful PC game project that could overrun all those blockbusters, you mentioned.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 15 Oct 2007, 21:32

MistWeaver wrote:
Darmani wrote:Yes, I know the 3DO probably had a lot of debt left over from the 3DO, but I somehow doubt that they were doomed to bankruptcy over their entire lifespan of making games. They had quite a few profitable blockbusters over that period that could easily overcome millions in debt.

We cant really argue about that thing because we dont know any numbers. On other hand I highly doubt that they had some kind of extremely unsuccessful PC game project that could overrun all those blockbusters, you mentioned.
Well spoken!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2007, 15:30

Am i crazy, coz i remember seeing a huge list of games that 3DO was publishing, most of which i never heard off before...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 16 Oct 2007, 15:40

ThunderTitan wrote:Am i crazy, coz i remember seeing a huge list of games that 3DO was publishing, most of which i never heard off before...
3DO did have lots of games, most of which weren't big sellers. Like that baseball game and the Army Men game and a number of others which aren't very memorial. Maybe they should have concentrated on their two jewels … Heroes of Might & Magic and Might & Magic.

Oh, and yes TT, you are crazy! :D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Oct 2007, 15:44

HodgePodge wrote:Like that baseball game and the Army Men game and a number of others which aren't very memorial.
Actually, I think those games sold quite well. The High Heat series was even the best baseball game for a while, before EA managed to catch up.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Oct 2007, 15:51

HodgePodge wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Am i crazy, coz i remember seeing a huge list of games that 3DO was publishing, most of which i never heard off before...
3DO did have lots of games, most of which weren't big sellers. Like that baseball game and the Army Men game and a number of others which aren't very memorial. Maybe they should have concentrated on their two jewels … Heroes of Might & Magic and Might & Magic.

Oh, and yes TT, you are crazy! :D
Well no offence Hodge, but the army men game. I dunno but army men was like the sportgames for EA, every year the same crap. It was so bad that gamers started a message board against 3do: here. That wasn't because of the great games or console. Games they made were lame, but not the (Heroes of) Might and Magic games...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2007, 16:12

Actually i'm sure they where even more unknown games... coz Army Men i did recognize... and i remember being shocked at how many i haven't even heard of.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Oct 2007, 22:53

ThunderTitan wrote:Actually i'm sure they where even more unknown games... coz Army Men i did recognize... and i remember being shocked at how many i haven't even heard of.
Nuff said, if even the big T didn't hear it, it's not okay :proud: hahaha

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Oct 2007, 13:47

seeing how over here price and availability don't really get in the way of playing games the only reason a game isn't played is suckyness... :devious:

Morglin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: What was the Forge incident?

Unread postby Morglin » 10 Aug 2018, 04:41

I didn't find a better topic. Don't you think that the black horse of Conflux might hero looks strange and mechanically compared to other horses? Could it be a graphics used for the Forge horse?

All heroes from the sprite-resource.com:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/resou ... /41247.png

Return to “Heroes I-IV”