TotE Is Out

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

TotE Is Out

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Oct 2007, 10:53

Dragonfire (from Denmark) just announced in <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=7310">the forums</a> that a copy of the latest expansion has arrived by mail.

Those of you who downloaded the demo when it was released have probably gotten the gist of it by now, and consensus here on CH is that it meets with expectations - a thoroughly good expansion to a game that was considered the most revolutionary in the series upon its release. Make of that what you will.

The Tribes of the East expansion is likely to arrive in your homes rapidly over the next few days if you pre-ordered it, and to hit the shelves in stores as soon as the factories can stamp them out. Make sure you play it thoroughly, and don't forget to post your impressions in our <a href="/viewforum.php?f=2">forums</a>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1192013610
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Oct 2007, 11:26

a thoroughly good expansion to a game that was considered the most revolutionary in the series upon its release. Make of that what you will.
Yeah, and I make of that that it's bull-honky. Heroes IV was the most revolutionary game for better or for worse.

But it's good that the game is out. Judging by the demo, it's going to be the best HoMM V product, and with sensible additions and improvements -- first and foremost the choice in creature upgrades -- it may well manage to draw me as deeply and devoutly into the game as the previous four installments have done.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

TotE Is Out

Unread postby aaelgr » 10 Oct 2007, 12:03

It has to be relesaed at the same time as a postal strike...
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

evilp
Boy Scout
Boy Scout

TotE Is Out

Unread postby evilp » 10 Oct 2007, 12:21

Nice..wait for gold edition

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

TotE Is Out

Unread postby MistWeaver » 10 Oct 2007, 12:38

> to a game that was considered the most revolutionary

> in the series upon its release

Err.. what ?!

ps: considered by whom ?
Edited on Wed, Oct 10 2007, 08:44 by MistWeaver

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Oct 2007, 13:31

it was revolutionary in the sense of replacing one bad leader with a worse one... using torches to burn up half the country for no reason except that it's cool... or hot, whatever.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

TotE Is Out

Unread postby Moragauth » 10 Oct 2007, 13:34

It does have some interesting new features though...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Oct 2007, 13:47

3D and the new initiative system... the rest are expanded (in some cases) old features.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 10 Oct 2007, 14:19

Like the Duel Modes plus Editor, for example?
ZZZzzzz....

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

TotE Is Out

Unread postby MistWeaver » 10 Oct 2007, 14:30

>Like the Duel Modes plus Editor, for example?

Yes. For example:

viewtopic.php?t=7192

Nival just made it easier.

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Tribes of the East is Out

Unread postby michiganjf » 10 Oct 2007, 14:31

.... and the expanded progressive skills system with ultimate and native skills... and more sensible faction-specific creatures... and faction military posts... and more inventive random week events... and far more interesting environment possibilities for map-makers, with topography and the coolest 3-D... and more thoughtful mixed neutral stacks... etc... I would say H5 and expansions definitely represent the most revolutionary advance in the series! All the changes have made for the most customizable gameplay yet, allowing truly varied strategic approaches to victory. I LOVE THIS GAME!

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby michiganjf » 10 Oct 2007, 14:40

Oh... and the elimination of Mega-Mover Uber Heroes (Town Portal and Dimension Door with max movement skills and arties). This change alone forces true strategy instead of just bouncing around one unbeatable hero who can resupply huge armies and defend any fortress on any turn.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Oct 2007, 15:11

For those in the United States like me the game will come to stores on the 16th of October. Next week :(

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 10 Oct 2007, 15:31

@michiganjf: You forgot about dragons, that number of dragon-like beasts was never seen before in HoMM... Truly unique and revolutional.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 10 Oct 2007, 15:35

PhoenixReborn wrote:For those in the United States like me the game will come to stores on the 16th of October. Next week :(
Don't worry. Orange Box and Mask of the Betrayer come out today.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: TotE Is Out

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 10 Oct 2007, 15:37

MistWeaver wrote:>Like the Duel Modes plus Editor, for example?

Yes. For example:

viewtopic.php?t=7192

Nival just made it easier.
Is this an example of your ill-will against Nival in general and H 5 specifically? That post is from LAST MONTH. If it proves anything at all than the fact that people try to emulate the new things of H 5 for the old Heroes games, but not the other way round.
Pathetic, MistWeaver.
ZZZzzzz....

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Oct 2007, 15:40

Omega Destroyer I love your sig. My favorite game! What's your favorite level?

Kalah you've unleashed a monster of a thread with your words! Shouldn't this be about who gets the game when?

But argue on, I don't care.

Edit: and by the way if anyone actually read the linked thread it's about undeadhalforc doing some testing of a mod, and has nothing to do with "duels" per se.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 10 Oct 2007, 15:53

JJ, I was playing such duels with AI and my friends, from the time I get myself familiar with Heroes2 editor, and that was like 10 years before Nival "invented" duels in HoMM. And I think many ppl actualy did it, either for fun or for testing balance, whatever. And that thread link is just an example. So sit down and stop being mean. I guess you are here to cover bad sides of H5, not to insult users.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 10 Oct 2007, 15:56

Now, do you realy think that no one did duel-like maps (with just two preset heroes) before H5 came out ?!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tribes of the East is Out

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Oct 2007, 16:04

MistWeaver wrote:Now, do you realy think that no one did duel-like maps (with just two preset heroes) before H5 came out ?!
I personally don't do that. I don't even like doing it in heroes 5. What's the point?

It's more fun to play an actual game where there are many more factors to take into account.

But sure people probably do/did it.

____

Why should heroes 5 be innovative? That's the crux of the argument here.

I mean on the ubi forum SirCharles/Chuckles suggested that Nival would get the chance to be innovative with Heroes 6 (which they didn't have with 5) and everyone is going crazy with saying how horrible it will be. So what do people want? Innovation or not?

I don't mind the suggestion of another developer for the game but it has to be someone who can actually do it and who actually will do it. Saying Blizzard would be perfect is nice but they already have projects right?

Return to “News”