What was the Forge incident?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Oct 2007, 17:48

UndeadHalfOrc wrote: Image
Those are so fake... :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Oct 2007, 18:58

ThunderTitan wrote:… Those are so fake... :devious:
Hahaha … They do look rather like implants. Maybe Bush should send a few of them to Iraq and see how those Muslim boys react. :rofl:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 07 Oct 2007, 19:04

Wow. You're just saying all kinds of interesting stuff in this thread Hodge.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Oct 2007, 20:07

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Wow. You're just saying all kinds of interesting stuff in this thread Hodge.
Thanks, but since the "Forge Incident"is such an interesting subject, it's only logical that everyone's posts (not just mine) should be interesting. :D

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 07 Oct 2007, 20:42

Fair enough.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 07 Oct 2007, 21:11

If you didn't deny it, you wouldn't have argued against me. I've never tried to say anything else in this thread other than that it would have shocked HoMM players and thus NWC should have dropped hints about the Sci-Fi background earlier in the series. It's pretty hard to argue against someone without arguing against what they're saying.
I was only making a couple of points in what I assumed was a friendly discussion. I didn't argue against you, just tried to make sure you understood the reasons behind the Forge's creation. There aren't any opponents here, and I was just answering your posts, not squabbling. Sorry that you took it the wrong way. No hard feelings. :tired:
Anyway, I would like to thank the previous three posters
You're welcome. :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Oct 2007, 22:36

HodgePodge wrote:They do look rather like implants. Maybe Bush should send a few of them to Iraq and see how those Muslim boys react. :rofl:
Something would definitely blow up...

Also, while i still remember, did the Forge strike anyone as rather low tech for a place made with interstellar level tech?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 08 Oct 2007, 00:03

ThunderTitan wrote:Something would definitely blow up...
Like what were you thinking of, TT? Image
ThunderTitan wrote: Also, while i still remember, did the Forge strike anyone as rather low tech for a place made with interstellar level tech?
Yeah, the Forge struck me as a town with copied creatures from different alignments … if some say that the Conflux was 'unoriginal' … I'd have to also say the same about the Forge. Nagas, Ogres, Orcs, Zombies, etc. with chainsaws, tanks, blasters, or nipples didn't make the Forge an original concept either. :disagree:

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 08 Oct 2007, 01:39

ThunderTitan wrote:Also, while i still remember, did the Forge strike anyone as rather low tech for a place made with interstellar level tech?
I presume Kastore and company didn't have as much experience with the tech as the Ancients. Or alternatively they wanted it somewhat surpressed so none of their followers could do to them what they did to Archibald.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 08 Oct 2007, 02:03

I must say I' really unhappy about the forge not being included. It would have really tied MM and HoMM together perfectly.
But about thos creatures, I find it weird that they weren't going to include Blastermen like Tolberti and Robert the Wise.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Oct 2007, 02:12

Kareeah Indaga wrote: I presume Kastore and company didn't have as much experience with the tech as the Ancients. Or alternatively they wanted it somewhat suppressed so none of their followers could do to them what they did to Archibald.
Still, why use 19th century saw blades on the Zombies... they should at least be laser saw blades.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 08 Oct 2007, 02:33

Personally, what I hated most about the Forge (the way we were going to originally get it) is how the developers stressed that although hi-tech, the units would be balanced and not any stronger than their equivalent counterparts in other towns. So, a orc with a laser gun would be about as good as a regular axe-throwing one­. LAME. I'd rather if they would have made ultra-powerful, on purpose.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Oct 2007, 15:12

Actually I think that was the direction they were taking. Overpowered units, slow growth rate. We never did see any stat tables anyway.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 08 Oct 2007, 15:16

Overpowered units with slow growth rates? Sounds like the modern day Dungeon.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Oct 2007, 15:22

I mean really overpowered, not just strong yet reasonably beatable. Also I once heard that some of the units below level 7 would have cost resources apart from gold.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Oct 2007, 11:35

Well, reading this is nice. But i presume that the town was made, or at least a big part of it. What happen't to that work? Did it just go down the drain or are they still around somewhere?? Maybe the WOG team can do something with it...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 09 Oct 2007, 13:59

darknessfood wrote:Well, reading this is nice. But i presume that the town was made, or at least a big part of it. What happen't to that work? Did it just go down the drain or are they still around somewhere?? Maybe the WOG team can do something with it...
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... enumber=35

There is a 35 page thread in the WOG forum at AOH. The page I linked to has some good pictures and info.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Oct 2007, 21:24

PhoenixReborn wrote:
darknessfood wrote:Well, reading this is nice. But i presume that the town was made, or at least a big part of it. What happen't to that work? Did it just go down the drain or are they still around somewhere?? Maybe the WOG team can do something with it...
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... enumber=35

There is a 35 page thread in the WOG forum at AOH. The page I linked to has some good pictures and info.
Thanks for the link PR :). And looking at the creatures, they look okay, and the town looks awesome. Too bad it wasn't finished, yet...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Oct 2007, 21:44

I think the creatures look abysmal. I mean tackarama! Those seem to have been done by someone with no arms and right foot.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 13 Oct 2007, 03:39

The forge being cut is one factor of the begining of the end for NWC and 3do, the others include the heroes chronicles that nobody bought and are impossible to find.

I wonder when the fan project will be done, the last update was last year, although I bet he get's the help of the WOG team once their done on the latest update.

Admittedly if I saw robots in heroes my 8-year-old self would have been freaked out, but now (and definitley after playing M&M7) I would rather have the forge then the redicuously overpowered and unoriginal conflux.

The storyline potential of the forge is quite large. Perhaps in parts of the campaign you controlled kastore and friends like you control sandro or xeron in SOD or the new AB campagin respectively.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”