100 Questions About the World of Might and Magic

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ethermancer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ethermancer » 01 Oct 2007, 18:09

UndeadHalfOrc wrote: You're incorrect.

Archibald was a WARLOCK on both final maps.
I remember him learning necromancy eventually, which Warlocks could get in H2.

Roland was a Wizard in the final maps, but in one of Roland's campaign map, (where he's stuck in the leftmost part of the map, controlled by the computer, never moving) he was a Knight.

NWC's way of showcasing the new towns was in the first map of each campaign, you're forced with Necro/Wizard, unlike most of the following maps where you get to choose between 3 alignments.
Oops! Sorry about that. It's been a long time.
Would you kindly pick up that short-wave radio?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Oct 2007, 21:42

Corlagon wrote:
--Who was the steel-haired green-eyed lady in Gelu’s dream?
Armageddon's Blade, believe it or not. That text event is called "Seduced by the Blade" in the map editor so naturally it's referring to the Blade's soul, which is influencing Gelu.
:rofl: I had a ridiculous thought: someone should write a pairing fic about this. Preferrably someone who isn't me.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 01 Oct 2007, 23:12

Time for anoher question:

-How did Lord Marham come to rule Tatalia, and why are the Barbarians and Beastmasters not mentioned in MM7?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Oct 2007, 23:32

Secret_Holder wrote:Time for anoher question:

-How did Lord Marham come to rule Tatalia, and why are the Barbarians and Beastmasters not mentioned in MM7?
He didn't. Compare the RoE map and the MM7 map and you'll see that Tidewater is on the lower half of the Tatalian peninsula--the tiny strip of Erathia between Tatalia proper and Krewlod. Lord Markham is an Erathian lord. (And if all her nobles were as self-centered and foolish as he was, I can see why Catherine was willing to give up her father's throne in AB...)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Oct 2007, 10:47

Corlagon wrote:I meant the name, not the geographic location...
I see - well, they had name it somehow and Outer Rim or Quadrant is too similar to another universe from another sci-fi series. ;)
Oh, and another request: could anybody give me... eh, all of the information on the 'Creators' from the older games that they can find? I'd be eternally grateful, thanks.
Did you read MM History question threat and my post about them (or Pol's copy of this text)? ;)

BTW - can somebody update first post with questions with no answers? Not all questions aked in this threat were without answer. Besides it is easier to read one master post then search all question in this topic.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 02 Oct 2007, 12:29

Are any of the side games(crusaders and so on) canonical?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 02 Oct 2007, 14:58

Thanks to everyone who contributed their wisdom and lore.
You're quite welcome. Wisdom is a strong word though. :)
Did you read MM History question threat and my post about them (or Pol's copy of this text)?
No, I haven't read all of those, and they seem to have what I need... thanks very much.
Are any of the side games(crusaders and so on) canonical?
Almost all the games are canonical, though Crusaders and Warriors are set in Ardon, which is another world in the same universe. (Crusaders also features an object called the Great Geothermal Generator, which the nearby Yetis claim only the Ancients can access, and a location called the Kreegan Gate) Legends isn't really canonical, since it doesn't have much of a story. Heroes Chronicles are. Heroes I had a bit of a strange and slightly unrelated plot, since it was made before the geography and timeline of Enroth was properly fleshed out and designed, so I'd overlook it.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 02 Oct 2007, 18:11

Legends isn't really canonical, since it doesn't have much of a story.
But if it doesn`t contradict anything then it fine, No?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 02 Oct 2007, 19:24

I suppose not, though it hasn't much relevance here, and since Legends of Might and Magic was based in dungeon-like environments and the like, we'd have to come up with ideas for where the dungeons were geographically...

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 03 Oct 2007, 19:07

In the Heroes II evil campaign, you can hire a hero called Brother Brax.
Archibald tells us he is one of the best practioners in the Necromacers Guild. Is there any backstory on him?

It isn't difficult to see where his appearance is ripped off from ;)

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Oct 2007, 19:41

Secret_Holder wrote:In the Heroes II evil campaign, you can hire a hero called Brother Brax.
Archibald tells us he is one of the best practioners in the Necromacers Guild. Is there any backstory on him?

It isn't difficult to see where his appearance is ripped off from ;)
Oh? I must have failed my roll, since I don't recognize his appearance.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 03 Oct 2007, 19:49

Well, I would say that that's definetely influenced by Emperor Palpatine´s appearance ;)

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Oct 2007, 19:51

Secret_Holder wrote:Well, I would say that that's definetely influenced by Emperor Palpatine´s appearance ;)
Ah. The only possibility that I remembered was Desaad, the DC Comics character.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 03 Oct 2007, 19:53

Palpatine wasn't green :D

I don't think Brax himself has a storyline background, he's just another hero like all the rest of them. Roland's side can also get a Sorceress called Sister Eliza, who also lacks any history. They're just bonus heroes who act as rewards for saving the Sorceresses of Noraston / Necromancers' Guild, respectively.

New questions relating to the cliffhanger-laden expansion pack for Heroes II:

- In The Price of Loyalty...

- where were the campaigns set? Enroth in the distant past?

- which side canonically claimed victory at the end of 'The Voyage Home'? Drakonia or Lord Alberon?

- what happened to Viscount Kraeger after his capture and return to the Empire? Was he killed or imprisoned?

- who do we play as in 'The Price of Loyalty' campaign? Who is Kraeger's childhood friend who leads armies against him in the name of the Empire?

- for that matter, who is this Emperor? The Colonial Governor?

- who is the current Ascendant of the Fount of Wizardry?

- where were / are the kingdoms of Jarkonas and Harondale?

- who is Ibn Fadlan? I know he's the Undead King, but did he have any original motives for enslaving Kraeger and attacking the Empire?

- can we assume that the campaigns (apart from Descendants of course) take place at the same time?

- Obligatory foolish question: if the Shrouded Archipelago spends most of its time beneath the ocean, how do the books in the Library of Chronos remain intact...?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 03 Oct 2007, 19:57

I'm pretty sure most people will agree that all the H2 POL campaigns have absolutely nothing to do with the Ironfist/Enroth/Erathia story arc, or game world.

Cool campaigns, though. The last map for "Wizard's Isle" was EPIC.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 03 Oct 2007, 20:02

I like the stories and couldn't find much in them to contradict the Ironfist ones, so I tried to link them with Enroth in the timeline I made. The history of Enroth as a continent is pretty empty until the Strategic Quest, so throwing those stories into the mix would fill the gap too. Link to the timeline's somewhere around here...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Oct 2007, 20:15

Corlagon wrote:- where were the campaigns set? Enroth in the distant past?
Somewhere in the world, somewhere in the dark... :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Corlagon wrote:- what happened to Viscount Kraeger after his capture and return to the Empire? Was he killed or imprisoned?
You claim that Viscount Kraeger - a former friend and compatriot of yours - did not act of his own will in this uprising, but was held under the magical influence of the necromancers. Be that as it may, he has been seen by the people of our lands to raise arms against the Empire. Such an act cannot go unpunished. You may rejoice however, for the Emperor has chosen to grant you all lands and titles that Kraeger possessed, in return for your great service and obedience.

Such is the price of loyalty.
I'm pretty sure that he was executed for his "crimes".
Corlagon wrote:- who do we play as in 'The Price of Loyalty' campaign? Who is Kraeger's childhood friend who leads armies against him in the name of the Empire?
"Same" person like in H2 or H3 - unnamed general. And I don't think that we ever will knows their names.
Corlagon wrote:- for that matter, who is this Emperor? The Colonial Governor?
I'm pretty sure that no, Padish wasn't in "lore" at that days. Besides IIRC he was overthrowed by rebels 12 years after Silence and first necromacer showed many years after Silence.
Corlagon wrote:- Obligatory foolish question: if the Shrouded Archipelago spends most of its time beneath the ocean, how do the books in the Library of Chronos remain intact...?
Magic
Maybe Protection from Water spell?
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:I'm pretty sure most people will agree that all the H2 POL campaigns have absolutely nothing to do with the Ironfist/Enroth/Erathia story arc, or game world.
I agree... but on the other hand:
Harondale - Harmondale and Herondale's lost shield (MM8)
Ethania - Erathia
Lord Alberon and his kingdom raided by pirates - lord Albert Newton and Mist raided by Regnans

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 03 Oct 2007, 20:25

Thanks. I guessed most of those anyway but meh, a second opinion's nice.

Oh and one thing:
I'm pretty sure that no, Padish wasn't in "lore" at that days. Besides IIRC he was overthrowed by rebels 12 years after Silence and first necromacer showed many years after Silence.
I didn't mean Padish. Probably a future predecessor until the Government died out altogether, unless it was disbanded directly after the Day of Fire. Which is unlikely.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Oct 2007, 20:42

Governorship was overthrow in first age after the Silence (description of Astral Shield in MM6).

BTW - why in most timelines of MM History Day of Fire is ca. 10 before Silence? For me this is too long for "silence" of Ancients, espesially when we found note from chief engineer beneath Oracle.
The Silence wrote:Blinded by grief and rage, Alan activated the Ancient weapon. The wrath of heaven poured out of the artifact, instantly slaying both armies to a man and filling the land with poison. Fire rained onto the town of Aliant, burned the green fields of Vissias, and wrought ruin for hundreds of miles around. Uninhabitable for centuries, the formerly lush lands of Vissias and Aliant became the vast desert known now as Dragonsand.

The Colonial Government pled with the Ancients for help, but there was no answer. Some say that the Ancients were appalled by the destruction that we wrought upon ourselves and would not speak to us until we became more civilized. Others are not so sure the events are connected, refusing to believe the Ancients would abandon their children so casually. In any even, without their guiding voice, most of the great magic slowly stopped working and the Heavenly Forge that created these powerful artifacts began to break down.

The legends are unclear on the exact date of the Day of Fire, but they are clear on one thing—the date of the awful Silence that followed soon after. A new calendar was formed to mark the dark occasion—a constant reminder of what happened 1,168 years ago.
and question:
- Was this weapon some sort of thermonuclear device (fire shcockwave, poisoning land, desert, mutated lizards=dragons :D - just kidding ;))?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 03 Oct 2007, 20:51

a constant reminder of what happened 1,168 years ago.
Hmm. Strange. Might and Magic VII happened in 1168, so that would place the Day of Fire on the eve of the Silence at 1 B.S. I suppose someone must have screwed up. I'll correct that in my timeline.

Oh, another quick question - what would you guys say to the creation of another Heroes Chronicles episode which takes place after Waerjak and Tarnum's campaign, featuring the Fiery Moon, Escaton and the Vori Elves? Just wondering...

Return to “Might and Magic”