100 Questions About the World of Might and Magic

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 28 Sep 2007, 15:39

Is someone wants the movie, it can be d/l here
Thanks for the intro. I guess it was created for the AB with the Forge, due to its general irrelevance.
As Heroes I and II is in Enroth, he problably isn't loyal to Deyja, but he may have been allied with the Necromancer Guild of Enroth.
Though he was honourably fighting for Morglin and later for Roland against Lord Corlagon (that's right) in the penultimate good mission. I'd like to know when he started his affiliation with Deyja, since there's no hints about such allegiances in any games pre-dating RoE. Although, as the Necromancers' Guild is one worldwide brotherhood (in Enroth, Jadame and Antagarich), I can feasibly believe that he served them as a really undercover agent even before the Wars. I'd just like confirmation.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 28 Sep 2007, 19:30

It will propblably be tough to find any confirmation of that, because not much is said about him.
Although I think, that if he was a Necromancer when Archibald sought the throne, he wouldn't have fougt against him.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Sep 2007, 19:44

Anybody else found it stupid that in Heroes 2, they removed Lord Haart from the heroes roster, yet they actually needed him for the official campaign and ended up using Sir Gallant's portrait. Duh.

I liked his portrait in H1, they should have kept him and ditch, I dunno, Ector or something.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 28 Sep 2007, 19:49

I'm not really expecting confirmation since the developers are long gone, I'm just pointing out the plothole on the off chance that someone will ever want to use the old Might and Magic universe in future stories or campaigns.

Though Archibald dabbled in Necromancy, he was a Warlock in Heroes II, so I doubt he was much of an accomplished Necromancer until he went into hiding after the Mandate of Heaven. Archibald had obvious allegiances with the Necromancers' Guild, but if Lord Haart was really working as a spy, I'd say he'd have kept up the charade even throughout the Succession Wars.

However, Adrienne points out tales of his former bravery and ultimate downfall after burning him to death in Armageddon's Blade. I suppose this is an indication that he actually was an honest Knight at some stage. A hard one to call.

And yes, I hated the fact that they removed Lord Haart's portrait for Heroes II. Using Gallant as a placeholder was a bad mistake. They made a specific portrait for that one-shot hero, Lord Halton... why couldn't they do the same for Haart?

HAART'S PROGRESSION THROUGH THE SERIES:

Oh, and another request: could anybody give me... eh, all of the information on the 'Creators' from the older games that they can find? I'd be eternally grateful, thanks.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Sep 2007, 22:38

Since we're talking about Lord Haart...

Here is how you can revert Sir Mullich back to Lord Haart (allowing 16 normal, selectable heroes for Castle like in all original restoration of erathia maps)
viewtopic.php?t=7105

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Oct 2007, 01:10

Okay, more questions:

--How did Sheltem escape from Corak prior to MM1?

--Who was the steel-haired green-eyed lady in Gelu’s dream?

--What do Mogreds look like?

--Which faction of elves did the Dark Elves of Jadame break off of, and when?

--For that matter, when did the Wood Elves break off from the Snow Elves?

--Who killed Mayor Alain’s daughter? And why?

--What happened in the war between the Minotaurs and the Vori Frost Giants? (We know the Minos won and their herdleader died, but why were they there in the first place?)

--What was Morglin’s wife’s name?

--What years were Roland and Archibald born, and how old was Morglin when he died?

--What were the canon choices the Hero of Jadame made for the alliance?

--Did Archibald ever find the secret of immortality?

--Canonically, who won the last map of Winds of War?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Oct 2007, 06:50

Corlagon wrote:The Spinward Rim... sounds mysterious...
Not too much. I think it's region of galaxy - Ancients homeplanets lies near center of galaxy (that's my theory, not fact) and all vistited worlds in MM series lies on the edge of galaxy. See below picture - this is how I imaging galaxy of MM series (map is of course from WH40K universe)

Kareeah Indaga wrote:How did Sheltem escape from Corak prior to MM1?
From Sheltem's log in MM5:
Log Entry XL70l: I decided that the best way to prevent the reception of orders from the agents was to deactivate my auditory sensors temporarily. Since the agents have the means to restore the sensors, It became imperative to silence the agents. I imprisoned the agents at 0943.15 and 0943.25 respectively. Both were shouting words that I could not hear while I activated the brig statsis field. Perhaps they were commands...

It matters not. Once the agents were in stasis, I used the ship's command level computers to remove the obedience directives from my mind. To properly complete the self sufficiency experiments, I directed the computer to permit emotional responses within myself ...and tasted victory.

Log Entry XL70J: The nav computer tells me that I don't have enough fuel to get back to Terra. I will be forced to land on VARN 4 of the CRON vehicle in a few hours. With luck I will be able to refuel and return to Terra within a few days.

Log Entry XL70K: Tha landing was uneventful, but there is no fuel on this VARN for the ship. It seems that I am trapped here until the CRON reaches Terra on its own. CRON's ETA is several years, and WORDS CANNOT EXPRES HOW ANGRY THAT MAKES ME! I will punish the Ancients for their crimes someday. Punish them severely.
Kareeah Indaga wrote:What were the canon choices the Hero of Jadame made for the alliance?
I don't know but there are some "clues" about it. When you allied with necromacers, town shops in Murmurwoods are closed. Same when you allied with dragons (shops in dragonhunter camp). But when you allied with clerics of light shop in Twilight are opened - same when you allied with dragonhunters (in fact - there are no shops in dragon caves). So it could sugest that clerics and dragonhunters are "canonically" choice - but I always prefer dragons in alliance. ;)
Kareeah Indaga wrote:Did Archibald ever find the secret of immortality?
Besides Ritual of Endless Night? I think he didn't find it.
Kareeah Indaga wrote:Canonically, who won the last map of Winds of War?
I remember that somewhere I read about it but I'm not sure if it was canonically or who it was (maybe Mysterio?).

My question - is Archibald a warlock or necromacer? I think that he is warlock (he wants power and knowledge not to turn anybody living into undead under his command) - in H2 warlocks also can learn necromacy.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 01 Oct 2007, 13:52

Besides Ritual of Endless Night? I think he didn't find it.
Did Archie become a lich?

Ethermancer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ethermancer » 01 Oct 2007, 14:15

Avonu wrote: My question - is Archibald a warlock or necromacer? I think that he is warlock (he wants power and knowledge not to turn anybody living into undead under his command) - in H2 warlocks also can learn necromacy.
Hm, well he did show up as a hero -- either under your command (evil) or as your final opponent (good) -- in the last map of the Heroes 2 campaign. If memory serves, he was a Necromancer. (edit: No he wasn't. He was a Warlock. Thanks Undead Half-Orc.)

On the other hand, Roland was a Wizard in those maps, which sounds like a simple case of NWC showcasing their new towns. So this may not be a good gauge; after all, didn't Roland become a Knight in H3?
Last edited by Ethermancer on 01 Oct 2007, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Would you kindly pick up that short-wave radio?

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 01 Oct 2007, 14:25

--What years were Roland and Archibald born, and how old was Morglin when he died?
According to http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... genumber=1, Archibald was born 1124 A.S. or 1118 A.S. and Roland was born 1126 A.S
Morglin was born 1075 A.S. and died 1148 A.S., wich wuld make him 73 years old at the time of his death.
But these dates are of course debatable.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 01 Oct 2007, 15:07

Ethermancer wrote:
Avonu wrote: My question - is Archibald a warlock or necromacer? I think that he is warlock (he wants power and knowledge not to turn anybody living into undead under his command) - in H2 warlocks also can learn necromacy.
Hm, well he did show up as a hero -- either under your command (evil) or as your final opponent (good) -- in the last map of the Heroes 2 campaign. If memory serves, he was a Necromancer.

On the other hand, Roland was a Wizard in those maps, which sounds like a simple case of NWC showcasing their new towns. So this may not be a good gauge; after all, didn't Roland become a Knight in H3?
You're incorrect.

Archibald was a WARLOCK on both final maps.
I remember him learning necromancy eventually, which Warlocks could get in H2.

Roland was a Wizard in the final maps, but in one of Roland's campaign map, (where he's stuck in the leftmost part of the map, controlled by the computer, never moving) he was a Knight.

NWC's way of showcasing the new towns was in the first map of each campaign, you're forced with Necro/Wizard, unlike most of the following maps where you get to choose between 3 alignments.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Oct 2007, 15:14

--Who was the steel-haired green-eyed lady in Gelu’s dream?
Armageddon's Blade, believe it or not. That text event is called "Seduced by the Blade" in the map editor so naturally it's referring to the Blade's soul, which is influencing Gelu.
--Which faction of elves did the Dark Elves of Jadame break off of, and when?
I'm guessing Snow Elves, though Wood Elves is obviously possible too. It probably occured soon after the Wood Elves began populating Antagarich, since there's a lot of Dark Elven myth and legend.
--For that matter, when did the Wood Elves break off from the Snow Elves?
In making my timeline, I took a reasonable guess at this: 170 A.S. It's not based on anything canonical, though I was originally going to create a campaign featuring the Vori Elves throughout history.
According to http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... genumber=1, Archibald was born 1124 A.S. or 1118 A.S. and Roland was born 1126 A.S
Morglin was born 1075 A.S. and died 1148 A.S., wich wuld make him 73 years old at the time of his death.
But these dates are of course debatable.
That's mine! Yes, I took reasonable estimates at all three. I made Archibald older than Roland. I don't think they're twins, and of course it could go either way. I wouldn't say they were any older than 25 during the Succession Wars.
--Did Archibald ever find the secret of immortality?
Was he looking for it? I didn't know!
--Canonically, who won the last map of Winds of War?
Mysterio the Magnificent, according to LotA.
Not too much. I think it's region of galaxy - Ancients homeplanets lies near center of galaxy (that's my theory, not fact) and all vistited worlds in MM series lies on the edge of galaxy. See below picture - this is how I imaging galaxy of MM series (map is of course from WH40K universe)
I meant the name, not the geographic location...
My question - is Archibald a warlock or necromacer? I think that he is warlock (he wants power and knowledge not to turn anybody living into undead under his command) - in H2 warlocks also can learn necromacy.
He seems to be a Warlock, but evidently he does practice some Necromancy (how else could he become King of Deyja), or at least knows a lot about it. Remember he's very critical about Nimbus's apprentices so he must be educated to some degree.
Did Archie become a lich?
Not as far as we know. He wouldn't be older than about... 57-60 years old at the time of LotA, so he could easily still be alive.
Yes. He was also a Knight in the 'Corlagon's Defense' scenario of Heroes II. I can't imagine how he became a Wizard in the next mission. Strange.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Oct 2007, 15:24

Avonu wrote: From Sheltem's log in MM5:
Log Entry XL70l: I decided that the best way to prevent the reception of orders from the agents was to deactivate my auditory sensors temporarily. Since the agents have the means to restore the sensors, It became imperative to silence the agents. I imprisoned the agents at 0943.15 and 0943.25 respectively. Both were shouting words that I could not hear while I activated the brig statsis field. Perhaps they were commands...

It matters not. Once the agents were in stasis, I used the ship's command level computers to remove the obedience directives from my mind. To properly complete the self sufficiency experiments, I directed the computer to permit emotional responses within myself ...and tasted victory.

Log Entry XL70J: The nav computer tells me that I don't have enough fuel to get back to Terra. I will be forced to land on VARN 4 of the CRON vehicle in a few hours. With luck I will be able to refuel and return to Terra within a few days.

Log Entry XL70K: Tha landing was uneventful, but there is no fuel on this VARN for the ship. It seems that I am trapped here until the CRON reaches Terra on its own. CRON's ETA is several years, and WORDS CANNOT EXPRES HOW ANGRY THAT MAKES ME! I will punish the Ancients for their crimes someday. Punish them severely.
Ah that's right, I forgot he faked unconsciousness or whatever. Nevermind that one then. :)

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 01 Oct 2007, 15:31

That's mine! Yes, I took reasonable estimates at all three. I made Archibald older than Roland. I don't think they're twins, and of course it could go either way. I wouldn't say they were any older than 25 during the Succession Wars.
Really? Then I must congratulate you on a job, very well done. ;)
Not as far as we know. He wouldn't be older than about... 57-60 years old at the time of LotA, so he could easily still be alive.
Is he set to return in LotA, or is that confidential? :D

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Oct 2007, 15:40

Really? Then I must congratulate you on a job, very well done.
Why thank you!
Is he set to return in LotA, or is that confidential?
I'm not on the team and I think I know the answer, but I shouldn't be the one to say, so... no comment. You can find out for yourself by checking the data files, hint hint. :D

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 01 Oct 2007, 16:34

I have a question about old Archie by the way:

Who is the voice-actor who portrays him?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Oct 2007, 16:50

In Heroes II, the vocalists listed are Grant Youngblood and Kareen Meshagan. I'm not sure if this refers to speech or the opera included in the music. Another site credits Andreas Borcherding, Hans-Joerg Puls and Donald Arthur for voices. I don't know exactly who does Archibald, but it's one of these guys.

I can't remember if he has a speaking role in Might and Magic VII.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 01 Oct 2007, 17:06

He does in fact. He speaks some lines in the intro.
Maybe I should go and check the MMVII credits. :idea:

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Oct 2007, 17:37

And a bit after you free Roland.

"So here we are, one happy family. Maybe now we can let bygones be bygones..."

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 01 Oct 2007, 17:51

Even though I'm not the most knowledgable Might & Magic History aficionado, I find this thread the most absolutely fascinating reading. :-D Thanks to everyone who contributed their wisdom and lore.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Return to “Might and Magic”