100 Questions About the World of Might and Magic

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

100 Questions About the World of Might and Magic

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 22 Sep 2007, 16:32

Inspired by the Geography of Enroth thread. If you could have any MM question answered, what would you ask? I’ll start us out:

--How was the series supposed to end?

--What is the link between the Ancients, the Creators, the Kreegan, and the Elemental Lords (and while we’re at it the gods, too), other than the obvious?

--Who and what are the Ancients and the Creators, beyond being ancient civilizations competing for power?

--What was the name of the world of MM6-8 and H1-3?

--What do C.O.R.A.K. and S.H.E.L.T.E.M. stand for?

Oh, and this probably goes without saying, but old world only. Any questions about the story of Ashan stand a chance of being answered in a later game; these don’t.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 22 Sep 2007, 18:06

Few more questions:

- Who or what are angels/archangels? Don't be afraid, I wouldn't have a heart attack. ;)

- Who really are Ancestors and what really is a Fiery Moon and World Tree?

- Has Corak from MM7 outro any connection to Corak from MM1-5 (besides name)? Same question about Alamar (H1-3) and Sheltem.

- Who are Arslegard's "gods"?

- Who was (is?) Verhoffin? He seems to be someone more than "ordinary" mage.

- What happened to Kastore and his friends, Archibald, Ironfists and Sandro? I don't think that they go to retireiment. ;)

- What happened to VARN, CRON, Terra and unified XEEN after events from MM1-5?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 22 Sep 2007, 18:41

Nice one Kareeah! This thread is sorely needed in my opinion, even if there's nobody to answer our questions anymore... Anyway, I haven't got 100 questions to ask yet myself, only 25:

- Who is the God of Death from Gauldoth's campaign, how did Kalibarr come to serve him and what are his motives? Also, what creature did the Deadwood Staff's headpiece belong to?
Unanswered

- Why exactly did Escaton want the MM8 adventurers to "Tell them I have failed", and did they ever manage to do so?
Possible answer: he wasn't talking to the adventurers, but was sending a message to the Ancients through the spider-module.

- Who is Tamar the Wanderer, what are his motives and why are there two Lords of Air?
Unanswered

- How does the passing of time operate in the Elemental Planes, and is Paradise the Plane of Life?
Unanswered

- In Heroes III, the Gold Dragon Queen was slain by the Kreegans. How did this affect AvLee, and was the Gold Dragon Queen one of the Dragon Mothers?
Unanswered

- Who are Gelu's parents and why did they abandon him at the coast of Antagarich?
Unanswered

- What became of the Vial of Dragon's Blood? Was it destroyed?
Unanswered

- In Mutare Drake's biography, it is mentioned that "Some wonder if her transformation foretells the coming of the Dragon Father". What does this mean exactly? Apart from the apparent progenitor of Dragons, who is the Dragon Father?
Unanswered

- What became of Adrienne the Fire Witch, and when did her relationship with Tarnum begin and end?
Unanswered

- What is the World Tree? It is described as 'the wellspring of life' and does indeed seem to be closely tied to all life on Colony. What are its origins? Is it a truly natural entity or was it connected to the Ancients, and was it destroyed in the Reckoning?
Unanswered

- Are the Ancestors true gods who have dominion over Life, Death and Oblivion, or are they too connected with the Ancients?
Unanswered

- Are Crag Hack (Shadow of Death) and Crag Hack (MM3, 7 etc) the same person?
Answer: No, their only similarities are their names and the fact that they are Barbarians. Shadow of Death's Crag Hack is a Human from Enroth, whereas MM's Crag Hack is a Dwarf from Terra.

- I have reason to believe that Archibald Ironfist is still alive, but what of Roland and Catherine? Did they die in the Reckoning too? It seems that way to me, I just need confirmation.
Unanswered

- Was there ever a complete map or globe of Colony / Enroth / whatever made?
Unanswered

- After Tarnum knighted Queen Allison Gryphonheart in the Underworld, he gave her his sword. Perchance, is this the True Gryphonheart Blade?
Unanswered

- Who killed Mutare Drake (having "soon met her fate at the hands of another") following Clash of the Dragons? Was it Dracon, and did he ever fill that empty longing in his heart?
Unanswered

- When Escaton died, what was that small spider-like object that scuttled away from his corpse?
Possible answer: It was some sort of device which Escaton used to send his message "Tell them I have failed" to the Ancients. We don't know if they received the message or not.

- How's Melian doing? Did he/she somehow survive the Reckoning?
Unanswered

- Was Lord Haart a cultist of Deyja before Heroes I, or after Heroes II?
Possible answer: He probably was before Heroes I, since he'd never been to Deyja all throughout Heroes I or II, and most likely had been there beforehand (otherwise, he'd have only become a cultist in the small gap between Catherine's arrival on Antagarich and her assault on Stonecastle, which is unlikely).

- Armageddon's Blade is the ultimate weapon of the Kreegans. Is the Sword of Frost the ultimate weapon of the Ancients, in turn? Do the Vori Elves have any relationship to the Ancients? (Keep in mind that Elves from the first Might and Magic games look very similar to Corak in complexion)
Possible answer: We know very little of the Vori Elves. They are depicted as Wood Elves due to the developers' lack of resources in The Sword of Frost, though I doubt the two races are really that alike.

- Who are Lord Lysander's siblings, and what about his parents? Is he directly related to Nicolai Ironfist?
Unanswered

- Canonically, which side claimed victory in Might and Magic VII? Did Kastore actually complete the Forge or did Resurrectra revive the Gate? While the former was part of the original AB story, I am tempted to believe that the latter won, because otherwise Judges Fairweather and Sleen would not be alive...
Answer: The revival of the Gate is the most likely ending. Although the Forge's awakening was the original canonical ending, it was discarded when the change from the Forge town to the Conflux took place in Armageddon's Blade.

- Was Xeron killed after Armageddon's Blade, or is he still alive and in hiding?
Answer: It could go either way. We don't know what happened to Xeron. After Armageddon's Blade, he is never mentioned again. While he didn't appear in Heroes IV, that's not to say he isn't still alive somewhere. He could well have escaped the battle of Kreelah. Nobody knows.

- Almost all of the characters from Heroes II and quite a few from Heroes III are connected either in name or appearance to those of the Nacelles. Aside from referencing and lack of resources on the developers' part, is there a reason for this? Do the Ancients employ cloning when populating worlds?
Unanswered

- How many wives did Kilgor have?
Unanswered, and who cares anyway
Last edited by Corlagon on 03 Oct 2007, 12:35, edited 2 times in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 22 Sep 2007, 18:55

Corlagon wrote:- Why exactly did Escaton want the MM8 adventurers to "Tell them I have failed", and did they ever manage to do so?
- When Escaton died, what was that small spider-like object that scuttled away from his corpse?
I think there is answer for these questions. IMO Escaton refered to Ancients not adventurers (they where in Ravenshore where they saw ELs attack on crystal). "Spider" probably was a messenger between Escaton and his Masters.
Corlagon wrote:Are Crag Hack (Shadow of Death) and Crag Hack (MM3, 7 etc) the same person?
No. Crag Hack from MM3/7 is Dwarf, this from H1-3 is human. But we have also one more Crag Hack - in MM1...
Corlagon wrote:- Was Xeron killed after Armageddon's Blade, or is he still alive and in hiding?
IIRC he was killed by Gelu but I am not 100% sure.
EDIT:
Checked. Xeron is a hero in last map of AB campaign - he stand before garrision to Kreelah. However there is no text confirmed that he really was slain at that battle (but personally I don't think that he survived final strom on Kreelah).

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 22 Sep 2007, 19:27

Probably not but still he did manage to escape the previous battle, and depending on the player's actions there may not have been any fortress or garrison to protect him then. Obviously he's an established mage with well-honed teleportation abilities.

I think it would be a nice reference to Heroes III if Xeron returned in some form. Maybe some heroes could return to Colony and find Xeron ruling the Kreegans who now populate it. Perhaps in Might and Magic X, unlikely as it seems.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 23 Sep 2007, 22:59

Why exactly did Escaton want the MM8 adventurers to "Tell them I have failed", and did they ever manage to do so?
Maybe he never asked the adventurers. Maybe he was talking to th spider thingey... :idea:

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 24 Sep 2007, 15:00

Possible, but then why was he looking directly at the "camera"? In most other cutscenes, you're looking through the eyes of the main adventurer.

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie
Location: Sweden (You know, polar bears, close to switzerland)

Unread postby lordskeleton » 24 Sep 2007, 20:25

After having his palace measuring the thickness of his head I think he would have some trouble focusing his vision upon anything in particular.
"Every enemy I've met I've annihilated!"
"Ehm.. Oh yeah?... well... eh... You fight like a cow!"

Kackelacka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: 100 Questions About the World of Might and Magic

Unread postby Kackelacka » 25 Sep 2007, 05:56

[quote="Kareeah Indaga"]
--Who and what are the Ancients and the Creators, beyond being ancient civilizations competing for power?
[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------
They came from the depths of the Void. An ancient enemy of an ancient people.No one knows why they hate us so, or why they have made war upon us. Some say,the struggle against their evil is the Mandate of Heaven.Though their origin and purpose is shrouded in the history, their plan is simple, they travel, they land and then they conquer. Now they are here on Earth, to do us what they have done to so many others. And they will. Unless someone stops them.
--------------------------------------------------------

Answer is unknown

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 25 Sep 2007, 06:32

Kackelacka wrote: -------------------------------------------------------
They came from the depths of the Void. An ancient enemy of an ancient people.No one knows why they hate us so, or why they have made war upon us. Some say,the struggle against their evil is the Mandate of Heaven.Though their origin and purpose is shrouded in the history, their plan is simple, they travel, they land and then they conquer. Now they are here on Earth, to do us what they have done to so many others. And they will. Unless someone stops them.
--------------------------------------------------------

Answer is unknown
Isn't that description of Kreegans!?

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 25 Sep 2007, 12:57

Ya5MieL wrote:Isn't that description of Kreegans!?
It is. From the intro video of MMVI.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 25 Sep 2007, 17:18

No. Crag Hack from MM3/7 is Dwarf, this from H1-3 is human. But we have also one more Crag Hack - in MM1...
Aren't MM1 Crag Hack and MM3 Crag Hack one and the same?

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 25 Sep 2007, 17:24

- Canonically, which side claimed victory in Might and Magic VII? Did Kastore actually complete the Forge or did Resurrectra revive the Gate? While the former was part of the original AB story, I am tempted to believe that the latter won, because otherwise Judges Fairweather and Sleen would not be alive...
I think canonically the Forge was (or should be) built, because if I am not mistaken, NWC did intend to add another town to AB called (yes you guessed right) Forge.
Picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Forge.jpg

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Sep 2007, 17:39

Aren't MM1 Crag Hack and MM3 Crag Hack one and the same?
I think so. Not too sure about those old games though, the only one I could get my hands on was number 3. Which game did Resurrectra / Kastore's party first appear in? Isles of Terra, wasn't it? ;|
I think canonically the Forge was (or should be) built, because if I am not mistaken, NWC did intend to add another town to AB called (yes you guessed right) Forge.
Although if that ending was canonically correct, Kastore would be taking over Antagarich with his army of Forge troops in AB. It was the original canon, but I think they took out all references in the finished product and left the true ending unconfirmed. I believe Resurrectra's ending was the final canonical one, because the Gate's awakening didn't really affect most of Antagarich enough to be mentioned further in AB.

I wonder what became of Kastore. It'd be great to see him return in LotA (hint hint). ;)

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 25 Sep 2007, 17:45

LotA?
But it would really have been nice to have seen the Forge in action. It would have given Heroes that little sci-fi touch MM always had

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Sep 2007, 17:52

The Legends of the Ancients campaign for Heroes V. Our last remaining link to a future for the old story. It's really good.

And I agree. I wonder who the Forge's heroes might have been? The advisors and some of their cyborg generals? Maybe they'd even have made Sheltem V_2.0...

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 25 Sep 2007, 17:58

Yeah, sadly it looks like to only way for the old storyline to continue, will be if fans continue it :(

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Sep 2007, 18:33

Luckily there's enough of us around to make sure that it's done well. :D

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Sep 2007, 18:57

- Canonically, which side claimed victory in Might and Magic VII? Did Kastore actually complete the Forge or did Resurrectra revive the Gate?
What is the Gate?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Sep 2007, 19:31

A mission briefing for the last storyline quest in Might and Magic VII, quoted from Resurrectra:
The time has come to achieve our Goal. The reason we have sent you on all these missions is simple: we have been busy gathering the parts needed to open a gate to the Ancients--the ones who colonized this world ages ago. Unfortunately, our former compatriots also seek those parts for their own dark dreams. They wish to rebuild the Heavenly Forge from the times before the Silence, and use it to duplicate the weapons we brought with us to your world. We have been competing with them for these parts, but at last we have what we need. Except for one thing. We have been unable to find the Oscillation Overthruster on your world. All would be lost, but there is one such device aboard the Lincoln--the vehicle that brought us to your world. It is in the sea west of Avlee and secured against entry, even from ourselves. Now you must wear our environment suits, enter the ship, and return with the Overthruster; you will find these suits in the chest outside this throne room. For the suit to function properly you must not be wearing any equipment. As for us, we must stand watch at the gate, and battle our former comrades.

Return to “Might and Magic”