HoMM III on Linux?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
gunner10
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HoMM III on Linux?

Unread postby gunner10 » 04 Feb 2006, 18:27

Hey all,

Has anybody here gotten HoMM III to work on Linux? Thanks in advance.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 04 Feb 2006, 18:33

Though I've not tried it myself, I've read that it runs ok using Wine. There was also a linux port of the game released by the now-defunct Loki Entertainment, but they didn't do any of the expansions.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 06 Feb 2006, 00:13

A little more complicated, but maybe for someone better idea is to try to run the qemu, and under the qemu win98 and here Homm3 or WoG. Untested, but it should work more sleek.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 06 Feb 2006, 17:23

I have Linux and SoD and WoG work just fine under wine .... with no wine tools or external libs installed .

Simply put there is no problem with it

gunner10
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gunner10 » 08 Feb 2006, 05:57

I just bought HoMM III Complete and I got it working under Linux (SuSE 10.0 64 bit). SuSE comes with Wine be default which works.

There were a couple of problems I ran into though. First I couldn't install off the CD for some reason. I ended up copying the files to my .wine directory and then it worked. Next the game wouldn't load by default. I had to run wine-cfg and tell applications to run in a virtual desktop. Once I did that I got errors about being able to find the CD. To get around that I installed WoG. Now it works great =)

The only problem I have now is the resolution. The game is running in a 800x600 or so window as opposed to full screen. I think it's a problem because my desktop is running at 2560x1024. Other then that's perfect.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 08 Feb 2006, 10:08

Well wine does not support cd checking .... heroes no cd crack helps here ...

It's also a good idea to check in winecfg the system version to win98 ... It's more compatibile with this settings.

dcherryholmes
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dcherryholmes » 05 Dec 2006, 18:44

I have heroes III complete running pretty well under wine, however I want to run in windowed mode. When I hit F4 with the game running, it tells me the game is set to 65556 (or thereabouts) color mode, and my desktop must also be set to this mode for the windowing to work. Does anybody know how to do this under the current version of wine?

growlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I REALLY like the Loki port of Heroes 3

Unread postby growlor » 30 Dec 2006, 15:57

It's by far my favorite game for Linux as it is a native app. In fact, I am playing it now . However, as one of the previous posts mentioned, it was just the basic (no expansion packs) version. Its also nice because it does not require a CD to play! I really wish that ubisoft would consider porting either 4 or 5 to a native Linux mode too.
One final thing to try - have you tried Cedega?

growlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

FYI for those of you who might find/try the Loki version.

Unread postby growlor » 02 Jan 2007, 00:29

I just discovered that under KDE 3.4 (the GUI that came with Mandriva 2006), there is a setting for the sound system where it specifies how long KDE waits beofre it gives up complete control of the sound system and allows any programs trying to grab direct control to get it. Apparently, HoMM3 for Linux is one of those that wants to grab full control, so if you try to start it before KDE gives-up control, your game has no sound! I set the timeout for 30 seconds and then don't have to wait so long.

Hope this saves anyone trying it some frustration.

Growlor

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Jan 2007, 01:48

WoG is also not requiring cd to play. I think playing it suing the WINE is better, especially if you have WoG or Complete it's your only chance. The company which ported Homm3 on Linux is long time dead.

Well, it's only idea I never tried it, so take it a little theoretically. From other side I know that Homm5 were also playable under WINEX, not news about HoF however....
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

doom3d
Peasant
Peasant

re:

Unread postby doom3d » 22 Jan 2007, 19:45

Hi,

I have Ubuntu linux 6.10 with WINE HQ 0.9.29, and installed WoG on Complete.
ERM editor also works. Only problem is, that the mapeditor freezes, if I try to use the "show passability grid" option. / I have never used wine-cfg, it may help /
*dcherryholmes: You should set your linux desktop color depth to 16 bit.
Under Ubuntu, it is set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. After that You will be able to use F4 for windowed mode.
/Please, be informed, that 65536 color = 2^ 16 color, so it means 16 bit depth /
But be prepaired, that it may become ugly in windowed mode.
You can see some screenshots at http://doom3d.uw.hu (-> képtár)

Doom3d

Return to “Heroes I-IV”