Music you hate...

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
IceCold2000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Music you hate...

Unread postby IceCold2000 » 08 Feb 2006, 00:40

Hello everyone!

Well, we had a poll/thread on what music we liked, but no poll on what music we don't like/terribly hate. So I wonder, what kind of music do you hate? In other words, what genre/s of music do you find annoying, dumb, crap, geeky or simply unappealing?

My hate/dislike music list is:
- Heavy Metal (including nu-metal and grunge)
- Alternative
- Punk
- Gangsta Rap
- Techno/Trance
- Music which promotes anarchy, chaos and political insults.

The reasons? Some are boring (techno, trance, rap) while some are barbaric (heavy metal and punk), some are too violent and anarchistic (punk, alternative, some rap), and some are foul (rap again).

Feel free to respond and please express your opinions dilligently.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 08 Feb 2006, 02:29

"Rap" is Crap. Not music.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: Music you hate...

Unread postby Psychobabble » 08 Feb 2006, 03:31

IceCold2000 wrote:My hate/dislike music list is:
- Heavy Metal (including nu-metal and grunge)
- Alternative
- Punk
- Gangsta Rap
- Techno/Trance
which leaves.... enya? :)
ScarlettP wrote:"Rap" is Crap. Not music.
The vast majority of people on computer game boards that I've hung out on agree with you there in my experience. I think that says a lot about the white-ness and nerdiness of the sort of forum boards I hang around on :).

Seriously, what's with the rap-hate? I'm not exactly down with the hood (yo :) ), but I'll happily listen to some rap groups (particularly the streets, jurassic 5, Outkast, dizzee raskal, hilltop hoods) and I recognise that it is the most culturally relevant genre going round even if I find most of it pretty difficult to take. I mean, I'm no great fan of classical, jazz, easy listening or pop music, but I don't declare that it isn't music and/or hate it. I'm curious why rap attracts such unique hatred among a certain demographic.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 08 Feb 2006, 04:10

Psychobabble wrote: Seriously, what's with the rap-hate?
For me the main reason not to like rap or nu-metal is the fact that out of all music stiles that i know, these have the most vulgaric language.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 08 Feb 2006, 04:37

Pitsu wrote:
Psychobabble wrote: Seriously, what's with the rap-hate?
For me the main reason not to like rap or nu-metal is the fact that out of all music stiles that i know, these have the most vulgaric language.
Not to mention … VIOLENCE!
Psychobabble wrote:
ScarlettP wrote:"Rap" is Crap. Not music.
The vast majority of people on computer game boards that I've hung out on agree with you there in my experience. I think that says a lot about the white-ness and nerdiness of the sort of forum boards I hang around on :).

Seriously, what's with the rap-hate? I'm not exactly down with the hood (yo :) ), but I'll happily listen to some rap groups (particularly the streets, jurassic 5, Outkast, dizzee raskal, hilltop hoods) and I recognise that it is the most culturally relevant genre going round even if I find most of it pretty difficult to take. I mean, I'm no great fan of classical, jazz, easy listening or pop music, but I don't declare that it isn't music and/or hate it. I'm curious why rap attracts such unique hatred among a certain demographic.
Are we talking music or noise. It's not a matter of "whiteness" or "nerdiness" it a matter of respect for all people, you know, your fellow human beings!

Any form of communication that incites racism, violence, rape, murder, etc. cannot be considered music … just a noisesome blight traveling through the cosmos.

And concerning most classical music & jazz … these tend to soothe, build up and bring glory to the soul & mind of mankind … as compared to most rap & metal which tend to be destructive and tear us down.

As for me, I'd much rather enjoy music which is beneficial to our collective mind & soul than to bring out the bestial side of our psyche.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 08 Feb 2006, 05:09

K, interesting. First there's always the problem that when you make generalisations about the lyrical content of genres there's a million exceptions. eg. one of my favourite Street's songs:
Just remember that - the more you sink the further back from
that brink
Maybe you've lifetime scars and you think tattoos might be more
fitting
But who's picking?
Searching for yourself you find demons
Try and be a freeman and grasp that talisman
Cos your the same as I am
We all need our fellow man
We all need our samaritan.
Maybe I'm better looking than you tho
Maybe I've got more dough - but am I happier... no.
Get the love of a good girl and your world will be much richer
than my world
And your happyness will uncurl

Just trying to stay positive
or this one by ugly duckling:
Here we go now, keep it low-brow
Get stupid (Why?) Cause I know how
Check my brain in, be a idiot
Act lame and stay ignorant
Be remedial, wear the dunce cap
Slouch over and drool like a hunchback
Don't discuss things, shout the last word
Put your good sense out to pasture
Drop your IQ, that's what I do
My advice to girls and guys who
Wanna be a Nobel Prize finalist
Smack the scientist, try apply in this
Keep the customers comin around
If you're smart then you better start dumbin it down
Don't say anything too profound
Dumb - it - down
(note, this is sarcasm)

Or surely you've heard Hey Ya by outkast or anything in the party rap genre (which has stupid, but non-violent/explicit lyrics) or.... well, hundreds of other rap songs. From the political (Eminimem - Mosh) to the socially satirical (Dizzee Raskal - I love you), to the religious (Kanye West - Jesus Walks) massive amounts of rap music have fairly profound, interesting and even occasionally uplifting things to say. And if you take half of the violent posturing of "gangsta" rap seriously you're missing the point (not that I'm a fan of the genre, but I know better than to take the posturing of rich mansion dwellers and their try hard teenage imitators too seriously). So i think this;
Any form of communication that incites racism, violence, rape, murder, etc. cannot be considered music … just a noisesome blight traveling through the cosmos.
is simply wrong. You can't dismiss an entire genre because you dislike the lyrical contents of some of its parts.

As for this:
And concerning most classical music & jazz … these tend to soothe, build up and bring glory to the soul & mind of mankind … as compared to most rap & metal which tend to be destructive and tear us down.
This is purely a matter of a difference of personal tastes, but this isn't what I listen to music for and I don't - personally - think these things are the marks of good music. I listen to music to be challenged, to be confused and inspired, to go "wow, i've never heard that before" and to go "it sounds so wrong, but it feels so right". Radiohead, refused, blood brothers, sufjan stevens, arcade fire, architecture in helsinki, this sort of music does it for me. Classical, jazz.... anything which makes me feel like I'm being lulled into comfortable listening just bores me (but I absolutely respect anyone who feels differently).

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Feb 2006, 05:27

Rap, for the most part.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 08 Feb 2006, 05:34

IceCold2000 wrote: My hate/dislike music list is:
Hmm... Music which promotes questioning the establishment, promotes change and criticises politics you don't agree with?

I'm in! You truly must have just wanted to start a dialogue because that is the heart of some of the best music and songs ever.

Need an example?

Phil Ochs "I'm not Marching Anymore"
John Lennon "Give Peace a Chance"
"We Shall Overcome"
Aretha "Respect"
James Brown "Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud), Pt. 1"
Woody Guthrie "This Land Is Your Land"
Helen Reddy "I Am Woman"
U2 "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
Spike Jones and the City Slickers "Der Fuehrer's Face"
Bob Marley "Get Up Stand Up"
Bob Dylan "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll"
Joan Baez "Birmingham Sunday"
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young "Ohio"
Style Council "Walls Come Tumbling Down"
Bruce Springsteen "Born in the USA"
Marvin Gaye "What's Goin' On"
Public Enemy "Fight the Power"
Elvis Costello "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?"
The Clash "London Calling"
Grandmaster Flash "The Message"
Sex Pistols "Anarchy in the UK"
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Fortunate Son"
Bob Dylan "Blowin' in the Wind"

Want more???
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 08 Feb 2006, 07:01

Psychobabble wrote: First there's always the problem that when you make generalisations about the lyrical content of genres there's a million exceptions.
Sure, but if we do not make generalisations we also cannot say that we like metal or classical music. We should keep the discussion on the level of band names. The same about (un)politeness of an internet forum - even the worst boards may have brilliant members. With the help of these exceptions one may go deeper and all of a sudden may start seeing the entire genre (forum) in a new light. However people are as lazy as they can and unless they are truely bored they do not seek for new. I am used to listen some kinds of music and some other styles may have a aspects that cause negative emotions (including dislike and hate) in me. I could go and seek out the exceptions in my generally disliked genres, but as long as the other genres please my musical needs, i do not see a reason to bother myself.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 08 Feb 2006, 09:14

The most disgusting, the most horrible, the most foul thing wich was ever labeled as "music" is called manele. It makes me vomit like hell.
For those who were spared of its' horrors untill now :

Definition of manele at Wikipedia :

Manele (singular: Manea) is a Balkan music style mainly derived from Turkish love songs, considered by many to be a form of sub-culture.

The phenomenon is most prominent in Romania, especially in rural areas and poor urban neighbourhoods, but is also present in Bulgaria, Serbia, Albania and parts of Turkey.

Read this for more info :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manele
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 Feb 2006, 09:39

Sounds ghastly, for sure (and I mean the bad sort of ghastly).

Most music outside my sphere of preference just fade into background noise, not much that inspire hate. Though a lot of rap, techno, and that stupid "music for kids" with distorted singing and simplistic tunes does make me grind my teeth. And Scooter. If I were to pick out a specific hateband it would be Scooter.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Feb 2006, 11:44

Veldrynus wrote:The most disgusting, the most horrible, the most foul thing wich was ever labeled as "music" is called manele. It makes me vomit like hell.
For those who were spared of its' horrors untill now :

Definition of manele at Wikipedia :

Manele (singular: Manea) is a Balkan music style mainly derived from Turkish love songs, considered by many to be a form of sub-culture.

The phenomenon is most prominent in Romania, especially in rural areas and poor urban neighbourhoods, but is also present in Bulgaria, Serbia, Albania and parts of Turkey.

Read this for more info :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manele
AGREED!

And I always view them more like a cross between Greek Traditional music with Turkish influences and BRAIN DAMAGE! Heavily on the BRAIN DAMAGE part!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 08 Feb 2006, 12:20

Actually, I feel that I have a legitimate complaint about Rap.

Let's start with some Definition:

mu·sic Pronunciation Key (myzk)
n.

1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.

1. A musical composition.
2. The written or printed score for such a composition.
3. Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
4. A musical accompaniment.
5. A particular category or kind of music.
6. An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.

Rap, in my oppinion, only has Rhythm and is not an aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound. It generally lacks melody. Further, one does not have to have a 'voice' to be a popular rapper because the 'songs' are not 'sung'. This overpowering influence is deteriorating intrest in developing the vocal tallents of the youth. Those with God given tallent of amazing voices are overlooked for those who can recite long, often vulgar poems in a rhythmic manner.

To continue.

in·stru·ment Pronunciation Key (nstr-mnt)
n.

1. A means by which something is done; an agency.
2. One used by another to accomplish a purpose; a dupe.
3. An implement used to facilitate work. See Synonyms at tool.
4. A device for recording, measuring, or controlling, especially such a device functioning as part of a control system.
5. Music. A device for playing or producing music: a keyboard instrument.

Rap, as a rule, has no intrumental accompaniment. I can not name a single outstanding guitarist, pianist or drummer from current pop culture music. I can give you a list of great musicians as long as my arm from the 60's, 70's and even the 80's. I, personally would like to HEAR some good intrumental riffs now and then. Rap has nothing but a 'beat box'.

As rap does nothing to encourage musicians to practice an instrument or develop their vocal skills, I don't know why anyone could call it a 'musical tallent'. Perhaps Rap is the reason that Country and Oldies stations are so darned popular. There IS NO 'Pop' music being produced anymore, partly because there are no radio stations left to distribute it. (At least not in my area.) I think that's a shame.

For these reasons, I believe that Rap is Crap.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 08 Feb 2006, 12:22

And Vel, I am blissfully unaware of "manele". Guess that's one thing that I should be greatful for.

No pardon me while I go dig out my old black vinyl record albums and fire up the turn table.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Feb 2006, 12:22

Ah, all music has its charms.

But hey, Modern Talking, that is where I draw the line...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Feb 2006, 12:33

Here's an even better encyclopedic entry about MANELE:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Manele

It even has instructions on how to make ur own band:
How to become a manelist

1. Pick a cool name (also known as "nume de bashtan", ori "Bseudonim") (Elvis, Ailenei, Bica Danila, Vali Nebunu', Anelka Balauru' Fermecat, Gigi Fermecatoru', Englezu de fier, Chipes¸u Moines¸tiului, Florin Salam, Florinel Fisu' - cu Soia, Ion Fasole, Bibi Macaroanå, Copilul Minune (Wonder Boy) zis s¸i Adit¸å Avortu' Merveioz, Barbosu DelaVrancea, Mihai Canal, Ciupanezu, Danny Mert¸an, Piedone, Gigi Oaie, Florin Fermecatorul, Slick Unsurosu', Adonis din Carpati (Idolu' Femeilor), Titel Vocalistu' Nr. 1, Maria-Dolores de la Satu Mare, Gigi Talent, Sile cu Gâtu' de Aur, Ricky de la Ciorogârla, Jean-Balauru' cu vocea-n flacari, Nicus¸or Jeleu, Vasile Trotinetå, Esmeralda Papuc, Leonardo Africanu', Minotaura del Monta, Alexiei Artistu' Nemårginit, Izabela de la Focs¸ani etc) --> to offer just a small contribution of suggestions...
2. Mandatory lack of culture, and IQ below the sea level.
3. Must own: limo , castle with lots of little towers and a logo with your name on the roof, faraoanca (a kind of queen, but more slutty weighting more than 500 pounds) and boraci (puradei, romanian word for gipsy children/intestinal parasites). Any manelist must be a king or Earl like... Liviu Mare Ban de Corabia (i.e.: Liviu Great Earl of Corabia).
4. Family in jail, and relatives living under a bridge, in cardboard boxes
5. Look
a. Jewelry: lots of it , bling , gold necklaces, gold bracelets, gold rings (more than 50% of total body weight)(must weight at least 10 kg), really big gold coins (salbe)
b. Haircut: 2 parts hair gel, 1 part hair
c. Clothes: flashy and tasteless. Must have black or white shirt, ciocate, cowboy hat, vest or cape
d. Having a voice and style that says : Proud to be gay
e. Having a "tan" skin is a plus (gipsy style)
f. It is quite trendy for a "cocalar" (endearment of a manelist) to wear white clothes head to toes to stress the colour of his skin, and to damage the retina of the people coming by so they wouldn't see how he throws dirty money at the fiddler's feet performing a ritual in which he repeats the words "fara numar" extensively
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Feb 2006, 13:34

Rap is crap.Mostly because of the "I want to thank Jesus!Jehova,god almighty!For my new hit single!Its called suck your momma!".Lyrics are a big part of songs.Thats why classical music is amongst my favorites.Also I hate Turbo-Folk(if you never heard about this music genre youre soooooo lucky!!).For the rest,there usually are songs in every genre that suit me,so I cannot say that I hate them.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 08 Feb 2006, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Feb 2006, 13:43

@Veldrynus & ThunderTitan

Hallelujah and Amen!
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 08 Feb 2006, 13:45

Ah, all music has its charms.
Actually, this discussion bled over to another forum where another friend said:
Rap is not music, I agree totally with Scarlett. Rap is performance "art" with a percussion track. Depending on the performer, it can have thought-provoking content, or just a dreary dredging up of every obscene, vulgar and profane expletive the "artist" has in his/her tiny mind.
(Please note that the author of that message is about 65 years old.)

To which I replied:
I can totally appreciate the 'roots' of Rap as a street music for young people who didn't have funding for intruments or vocal lessons. It was originally a way for people to express themselves in a creative and quite innovative manner. Now, it's only invasive.

I like the way you state it Marvell, it IS an art form. It just is NOT music.
I prefer music with tunes that can be 'hummed', lyrics which are 'happy' or 'uplifting' or 'socially redeeming'. At my age, I'm just a bit younger than the "Baby Boomers" and I grew up with Anti-War songs and lyrics that stressed love, friendship, social and political freedoms. I prefer "99 Red Balloons" to "Face down, @$$ up, that's the way we like to F**K." K?

http://www.lyrics007.com/Goldfinger%20L ... yrics.html
Last edited by ScarlettP on 08 Feb 2006, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Feb 2006, 13:47

Veldrynus wrote:Manele (singular: Manea) is a Balkan music style mainly derived from Turkish love songs, considered by many to be a form of sub-culture.

Well the article is slightly wrong.Manele is not present here.Probably because the horror of turbo-folk is still very fresh in our minds.But dont take my word for this,since about a year ago,I decided to tune myself out of the music stage in serbia completely(mening no TV and no "trendy new clubs" :vomit: )

Return to “Campfire”