Heroes III Difficulty Question

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Ree
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes III Difficulty Question

Unread postby Ree » 04 Feb 2006, 23:20

Hello,

I have a question regarding the difficulty levels in Heroes III Complete.

The only difference between Hard, Expert and Impossible difficulty levels is the amount of resources the player and AI get. The AI behaviour/toughness is exactly the same on Hard, Expert and Impossible. Is that correct?

Just wanted someone to confirm.

Thank you.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 05 Feb 2006, 01:11

As far as I know, yes.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Feb 2006, 08:25

Not quite. There are some differences in how many heroes the AI:s will hire and so on, but the main difference is in the amount of resources.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ree
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ree » 05 Feb 2006, 09:17

Gaidal Cain wrote:Not quite. There are some differences in how many heroes the AI:s will hire and so on, but the main difference is in the amount of resources.
Are you sure? The in-game popups describing AI for each of the three difficulty levels say the same - AI plays as well as it can. There are no differences indicated which you are talking about.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Feb 2006, 13:18

Ree wrote:
Gaidal Cain wrote:Not quite. There are some differences in how many heroes the AI:s will hire and so on, but the main difference is in the amount of resources.
Are you sure? The in-game popups describing AI for each of the three difficulty levels say the same - AI plays as well as it can. There are no differences indicated which you are talking about.
Maybe the AI hires more heroes if it has more resources.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 05 Feb 2006, 14:07

Here, this should help explain things: https://www.celestialheavens.com/24

You can find this page on the main site by selecting Heroes III, then looking for "Artificial Intelligence" in the sidebar.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Feb 2006, 14:29

Computer player can't build Level 7 generator.
For real? :|
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ree
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ree » 05 Feb 2006, 15:41

Kristo wrote:Here, this should help explain things: https://www.celestialheavens.com/24

You can find this page on the main site by selecting Heroes III, then looking for "Artificial Intelligence" in the sidebar.
Thanks for the link, somehow I missed it. :)

I just wonder where did the guys who wrote that get the info from?

Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rhutobello » 05 Feb 2006, 23:47

another diffrence is also what you recive in the end of game. A game on exp level gives less point, for same time used, as 1 on impossible and so on.....but that was maybe not the question:):)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Heroes III Difficulty Question

Unread postby Pol » 06 Feb 2006, 00:07

.....Hard, Expert and Impossible. Is that correct?

No, it's not.

The AI play best on the Impossible difficulty, even if difference may come to someone as a very little one.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Ree
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ree » 06 Feb 2006, 11:19

I see the opinions vary. Interesting ;)

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 09 Feb 2006, 02:23

Nucleon agrees with Pol; "Impossible" has the best AI. He kindly suggest you edit the maps you play, giving yourself some ressources if you must (via the "events" folder on your town or with loose ressources).

Playing it "hard" only addicts you to previsible play.

Campaigns do not often give you a choice of difficulty, so that's not much of a choice there, also.

Guard of BH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Guard of BH » 21 Apr 2006, 04:13

:baby: I am not 100% sure that the AI behavior will change after hard but on impossible computer starts mixing armies more ofthen to make it really powerfull like 2 7th types of unites plus blind gets really in Ai head when comes to battle. Plus Ai tries to make his main hero extremely trained arround the map.

Though maybe someone should do a test to confirm this theory.
BH - is the name of the place where i work :)

My pic suits the animal of the year i was born :)

Beholder
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Beholder » 21 Apr 2006, 16:42

what difference does it make? It`s not the AI itself but the whole play that counts, so fe. try hard if it`s too easy then switch to impossible.
Beholder

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Apr 2006, 18:16

The Ai is in fact smarter than on lower difficulty, not much but he at least builds more and/or better buildings and for making everything close to impossible he starts out with more resources and money.

Beholder
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Beholder » 22 Apr 2006, 08:37

oh... and builder type is the best type for AI. Then comes explorer, and warrior(?) is at the end - it`s a berserker type :)
Beholder

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Apr 2006, 09:00

Not that you can affect which type the AI will be though- the settings won't change it's behavior...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Apr 2006, 10:36

I like most the Warrior type, if did manage to survive beginning of the game then it could be very good game. However is very unpredictable if it will went on the good or looser path.

Builder is average good, no surprise, no problems.

Explorer is also my minion, as it sometimes capable to make wonders. Don't forget that AI can cheat with low level heroes and beat with them stack of monsters which are high above its power. But also have famous problem with not seeing "This creature will join your army" in its estim.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 22 Apr 2006, 11:53

I'm pretty sure the AI is almost the same on Hard, Expert, and Impossible, except for hero hiring and whatever...Although I don't live long enough on Impossible to find out...

Beholder
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Beholder » 22 Apr 2006, 12:53

Pol wrote:I like most the Warrior type, if did manage to survive beginning of the game then it could be very good game.
Yeap... but usually he doesn`t survive it :)
Builder is average good, no surprise, no problems.
Well builder is good because he goes for capitol first, which gives him a good start (I think most of use go ASAP for the capitol, maybe building one crucial creature dwelling before that). Warrior on the other hand looses troops quite often due to his warrior behaviour. That`s for L and XL maps for I usually play those.
Don't forget that AI can cheat with low level heroes and beat with them stack of monsters which are high above its power.
?? I never had such a problem. Secondly I see no problem in beating powerfull army with lower level troops. Spells, skills and artifacts are of use here :)
Beholder

Return to “Heroes I-IV”