The Price of Peace → An Unusual Betrayal

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Grail Quest » 13 Jul 2007, 18:12

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/271

Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Grail Quest » 13 Jul 2007, 18:12

Contrary to the walkthrough, I would recommend against bringing along an army initially IF your characters are strong to take down most stacks alone (did you give them Life Magic?). Recruitment by Diplomacy or Charm gives you only a small fraction of units, and then in the actual combat you're busy trying to win while protecting your new units that will probably be slaughtered anyway. It's helpful later, but not yet. In the early game, any units you bring are just cannon fodder whether you like it or not. If you choose to take some juicy converts like Genies or Peasants (free taxpayers!), you can try Regeneration (on yourself) + Martyr to keep them alive. Then throw them out of your army and head them to a castle or consolidate with another unit-only go-fer stack.

Split up Emilia and Tharj so they can cover ground quickly. Keep building every city you capture, and eventually, if you can muster maybe 3-5 weeks worth of units, start sending a sizable force to plug the teleport exits that Teal comes out of. If you plug just one, Teal will choose the other, so even a partial effort can be useful. In the late game, around Month 3, Teal will have Dragon Golems, but usually too-impatiently sends out a hero with a single week of hires, so they are easy to defeat if you have an army near an exit.

The critical neutral stacks are BIG, the ones that guard nice hoards are even bigger. The hardest are dragons and efreeti, so come back for them later with a vast army, if you can't handle them yet. If you reserve your Haven towns for the final assualt on blue, you can gather quite a large number of Academy units.

Clear out most of blue and block them in with Reed and a big army. If you switch to Haven forces, that will match Blue's armies, and as you penetrate Landrew's area, you can now usefully convert units from them with Diplomacy or Charm.

Definitely try to take time to look around the map. Every town can either build a Seminary or University, and there are lots of bonuses scattered around.

If your heroes have Death Magic beyond Basic, then try to take Teal's underground castle, as it is the only town that can build a Death Magic mage guild.

Emilia and Tharj will probably have maximized their levels before long, so if you've assembled an overwhelming force against Blue, you can use Reed for the assault and just Quick Combat it. On Day 1 Week 3 Month 3, the force I camped outside Landrew's castle was 38 Champions, 35 Monks, 38 Ballistae, 234 Archers, 287 Squires, and a handful of Pikemen along the way. Landrew had a laughable force of 2 Champions, 18 Crusaders, 3 Monks, 76 Pikemen, 106 Archers, 145 Squires. Could have coordinated better to ship more units about, but didn't really bother to. Quest
Edited on Fri, Jul 13 2007, 14:15 by Grail Quest

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Re: The Price of Peace → An Unusual Betrayal

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 15 Jan 2020, 00:03

Champion difficulty
Aaaargh!! :( :|
Month 5 Week 3 Day 1.
I've cleared the whole map Except for Blue. I have to fight a difficult stack of Genies and when I do I find Landrew's body, he apparently died trying to clear this same stack. I went ahead and eliminated Blue but the game didn't finish.

I saved at the beginning of each week but I don't know how far back to go or whether the same thing would happen again.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: The Price of Peace → An Unusual Betrayal

Unread postby wimfrits » 15 Jan 2020, 09:01

AI and genies are a horrible match. Pretty sure I encountered the same issue. Used nwcprometheus regularly to peek if he still lived ;)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Articles”