Reality and Fantasy, a discussion.

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Reality and Fantasy, a discussion.

Unread postby Mytical » 09 Jul 2007, 10:17

Ok we have some interesting topics going on, so I thought I would add one. When does something become a fantasy? Let me explain.

You hear two stories about somebody you personally never met. Both state that the person spent time under water, getting a chance to explore the debths. In both stories they saw various fish, a dolphin or two, and a shark (at a safe distance). The only thing that changed in the whole story was how they did it. In one they had some scuba gear on, and in the other they had a magical device that allowed them to breath under water. Obviously one is true, the other a fantasy. Here is my point. If no mention of how this was accomplished arrose, it would have been placed in the non-fiction category. Since it did, one version would be put in the fantasy category. At what point does a story cross over into fantasy?

Now I know the difference between fantasy and reality, and am not here to argue about that (or anything actually). I do, however, want to know what lines must be crossed for a story to go from Non-Fiction to fantasy.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 09 Jul 2007, 10:42

I would say anything that does not lie in the realm of realism.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Jul 2007, 11:01

Everything is fantasy, look at my life ;)

Never believe that here can be hardline dividing land of reality and fantasy or fantasy and science fiction or science and Corribus.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 09 Jul 2007, 11:08

@Pol
:rofl: You got a nice line out there!

Well, for me I think you could tell if the story is fantasy if it has out-of-this world objects, events, etc. In my opinion, if some or most of the story's component is unexplainable and/or unproven by the laws and theories that exist in our present world, then definitely its fantasy.

Uh, what I said made me think, what about religion? :D Anyways, don't mind it.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 09 Jul 2007, 11:09

It could also have been placed in the fantasy-category without mention of a magical device if you as the teller had told the story as a fantasy. "Once long ago in a far away land Flodo dived deep under water because he had lost his ring..." :D

A story crosses into fantasy once it incorporates elements that can't be done or explained by todays standards of reality, unless it is explained as being advanced tech from the future or aliens or whatnot, then it's science fiction. Myths and religious stories aren't included as they are their own category.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 09 Jul 2007, 12:12

Now here is the twist (you all knew it was coming didn't you).

What if the story was told by somebody who had never seen scuba gear before, but witnessed all the events? Even though it mentions 'magical device' does it then go back to non-fiction? Hehe
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Jul 2007, 12:14

Reality is fantasy and fantasy is reality.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Reality and Fantasy, a discussion.

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jul 2007, 12:30

Mytical wrote:and in the other they had a magical device that allowed them to breath under water.
You mean like scuba gear?! :D

Edit: Damn, you beat me to it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 Jul 2007, 12:30

Ethric wrote:A story crosses into fantasy once it incorporates elements that can't be done or explained by todays standards of reality, unless it is explained as being advanced tech from the future or aliens or whatnot, then it's science fiction.
I would modify that a bit to say that fantasy generally involves mystical or magical elements or creatures that are not commonly accepted as existing.

Are there fantasy stories that will one day be considered general fiction? For example did anyone see the "Ghost Hunters" program (reality TV) where the group intesitgated the Lisheen ruins in Ireland? Do you remember the thermal camera showing things that appeared to be following the team? The thing that stepped out from behind a tree and the face (seen by different team members in different locations?)

Click here for a link about the episode.

Maybe one day some things like the existance of ghosts or faeries/elementals will become generally accepted (again) and then stories that are now considered fantasy would not be fantasy anymore.

Same thing with science fiction. If UFOs become widely accepted as being alien spacecraft will stories that are considered to be science fiction today be just general fiction in years to come?

I guess what is fantasy/science fiction depends on your point of view.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 09 Jul 2007, 13:08

Thus the phrase "todays standards of reality". You weren't modifying but elaborating ;). And of course, said standard isn't a constant at any given time either, people and cultures have differing views,
- Duke

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 09 Jul 2007, 13:10

I can't help but think of this quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Jul 2007, 13:26

I don't think it is defined rather we know some of its aspects and its creators use their imagination as well as the 'cliches' that we are being bombarded with. Everybody has an idea of the books or films that are considered fantasy yet we don't have the same rules, lore or menagerie in each. I suppose it's primarily a creature of thought and creativity that has a life of its own usually based on a setting that is not familiar to us.

Primarily it is different from reality because it 'feels' different. Less mundane, adventurous, has more mystique and the like. Sci fi seems to follow almost the same road except the setting seems more in touch with reality as it is based on reality and the assumption 'what if.'
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jul 2007, 15:05

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Maybe one day some things like the existance of ghosts or faeries/elementals will become generally accepted (again) and then stories that are now considered fantasy would not be fantasy anymore.
You can't be serious.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Reality and Fantasy, a discussion.

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Jul 2007, 15:17

Mytical wrote: Now I know the difference between fantasy and reality, and am not here to argue about that (or anything actually). I do, however, want to know what lines must be crossed for a story to go from Non-Fiction to fantasy.
I'm not sure of what you mean at all, but here how it goes for me, in my point of view AND in my humble opinion :-D :

It depends on the writer or creator's will, the plot that is about to be created or written. You see, what is my fantasy? It's something that might happen or not. Fantasy for some can be reality for others, eh? What can always be fantasy is not for us to determine, I think, since we have, ourselves, settled what is real, what is insane, or what is crazyness, so we are not ready to understand that real and fantasy are not different, but pretty much the same thing.

If we say that a boy died and we say that he was taken by an angel. What would be fantasy? There are people who believe in angels, for instance, and completely normal being taken away by angels. Are those people crazy? Who are you to call them that if you don't understand what's going on within their minds?

A fiction book is a fantasy? Maybe. We can read a book and pretend that to be real. Not that it would happen, but it's a real book, it's a real history, with fantastic happenings.

Sexual fantasies are alike. They are a glimpse of what the most crazy thing you would do with your partner, but that can happen, yet, it would be a fantasy even after happened.

In short, I think there's no line between real and fantasy. They are the same thing. That is, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, so I won't discuss my thoughts - just throw in ideas. ;)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 09 Jul 2007, 15:31

Corribus wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:Maybe one day some things like the existance of ghosts or faeries/elementals will become generally accepted (again) and then stories that are now considered fantasy would not be fantasy anymore.
You can't be serious.
Ah yes, the open mind of the scientist.
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jul 2007, 15:39

Why, do you prefer the inane delusions of the laughably superstitious?

EDIT: And being a moderator, I'd think you would set an example and refrain from resorting to subtle underhanded insults in order to make some obscure point. :disagree:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 09 Jul 2007, 16:16

I prefer not to mock out of hand that which I do not have certain knowledge of. I don't think ghosts and such are "real", or will be considered as such, but I can in no way be positively sure. If you on the other hand do feel positively sure, calling fellow forum members laughably superstitious with inane delusions merely for saying it might be so is nevertheless against forum rules. Which you should know.

And my subtle underhanded insult contrived to make the obscure point that people of a scientific bent do tend to be overly arrogant when dealing with those who in their view of reality allow for the possible existence of phenomena outside of the realms of currently known science. It is fair game to disagree vehemently, but then say so instead of attacking people by questioning their seriousness. So to be less underhanded about it: your arrogance in regards to views differing from your own is not to your credit, and if you can't discuss the subject without attacking the poster then do not post at all.

Now, back to the line between fantasy and reality and it's location.
- Duke

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 09 Jul 2007, 17:22

An interesting question might be how unproven scientific theories such as quantum mechanics differ from unproven supernatural beliefs such as faeries. Both may be unconfirmed by direct observation yet self consistent and having explanatory power.

BTW: Though I'm pretty sure that 'ghosts' are not the spirits of the dead, it does seem there is some unexplained phenomenon there. The ghost theory is about as good as any alternative explanation I have heard.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jul 2007, 17:57

Ethric wrote:If you on the other hand do feel positively sure, calling fellow forum members laughably superstitious with inane delusions merely for saying it might be so is nevertheless against forum rules.
You feel justified in openly calling scientists (and me) arrogant and close-minded, so I feel it is equally fair for me to call people who believe in fairies inane and deluded. I am only following the example set by one of our moderators. Unless you are saying you are bound by different rules than the rest of us?
And my subtle underhanded insult contrived to make the obscure point that people of a scientific bent do tend to be overly arrogant when dealing with those who in their view of reality allow for the possible existence of phenomena outside of the realms of currently known science.
I'm closed-minded and arrogant because I don't believe in fairies, but it's perfectly reasonable and fair when a fundamentalist discards out of hand all the evidence for, say, evolution or the age of the earth. :disagree: Seems like an unfair double-standard to me.
It is fair game to disagree vehemently, but then say so instead of attacking people by questioning their seriousness.
I question anyone's seriousness when they state that one day fairies will one day be generally accepted. So what? I'm not allowed to question someone's seriousness? I did not come out and say "you dumb moron, you believe in fairies?" I am truthfully incredulous that anyone out there actually thinks that pixies will one day be as apparent as squirrels and dolphins. So, yes, I wanted to know if GOW is serious in that statement, and then you insult me.
So to be less underhanded about it: your arrogance in regards to views differing from your own is not to your credit,
I'm arrogant because I don't believe in fairies and ghosts and goblins and the boogey man?
and if you can't discuss the subject without attacking the poster then do not post at all.
You should perhaps follow your own advice, as you did as much to me.
Caradoc wrote:An interesting question might be how unproven scientific theories such as quantum mechanics differ from unproven supernatural beliefs such as faeries. Both may be unconfirmed by direct observation yet self consistent and having explanatory power.
We can directly, empirically observe the effects of quantum mechanics in countless ways. We cannot observe the effects of fairies. I'm not sure why you would call quantum mechanics "unproven". The line between fantasy and reality is not so blurry as you want to make it out to be.
Last edited by Corribus on 09 Jul 2007, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jul 2007, 18:02

Kristo wrote:I can't help but think of this quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Unless you know how it works... which is kinda what magic is.

C wrote:so I feel it is equally fair for me to call people who believe in fairies inane and deluded.
But the world is full of fairies... they even have parades, with rainbow flags and sh1t. :devil:

I'm arrogant because I don't believe .... and the boogey man?
But I"M REAL....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”