Making Might & Magic VI Harder

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 27 Jun 2007, 09:18

Well yes, I guess there is that little problem. I think that making MM7 harder would be a much more interesting and worthwhile endeavor. Especially since I found that it was much easier than MM6, but definitely more engaging and entertaining. I would prefer that the WHOLE game be made harder, not just the beginnings or start, because all it would require a player to do is spend abit more time getting off his feet.

Anyway back on to making MM6 harder, perhaps getting rid of any of the fountains that give a permanent stat/resistance increase or maybe even getting rid of all the artifacts that exist in the game. That'll definitely stop all the people from doing the 'Fill inventory with Golden pyramids and going to Abdul's' although it may mean some skills will be very difficult to master. Or you could make the stat loss from the black potions larger. EG: Add permanent 15 speed, decrease permanent 15 intelligence, instead of the usual decrease 5 intelligence.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 27 Jun 2007, 19:32

accabear wrote:
arturchix wrote:and finish the game on level 1 with - now that was hard, especially the Tomb of Varn. :) But it was really fun - I found out alternative resources of the game I had never used before.

Maybe walking backwards would have made the game even more challenging. :D
Sounds fun, staying at level one the whole game. How long did it take to finish the game and how did you get skill points? I would imagine that the game would get rather dry while attempting to do a level one game.

I think a way of making the game harder would be too restrict the spell books to a particular skill level, reducing learning bonuses and increasing the training cost significantly per level to the point where a significant amount of your budget has to be spent on it.
There's still a walkthrough available at TELP's tavern I posted - have fun reading it! :)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Oh, and it appears I was playing a level 0 game, modified my the character editor, of course. :)

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 28 Jun 2007, 07:24

Hey, does anyone know the fastest time for finishing Might and Magic 6 (game time)? Also that was a pretty insane run of the game arturchix. 4 months 18 days!

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Jun 2007, 19:23

My 4 months and 18 days look terrible in front of 5 days which is the record. :)

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 29 Jun 2007, 11:34

5 days...? Is that even possible? I am guessing this person made extensive use of town portal NPC's. Though I vaguely recall that you cannot access Gate Master NPC's in New Sorpigal. 8|

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 29 Jun 2007, 16:37

There are several ways to cross the world map in a matter of days:

* Use various hidden teleporters, also inside dungeons that teleport you to other regions. For example, there's a hidden teleporter in New Sorpigal and you can travel from it directly to Dragonsands, and back from there. In Dragonsands there are Gatemaster and Windmaster NPCs available.
* Use NPCs that reduce travel by foot so that crossing a border will take you just 1 day, not 5. So you can get to Sweetwater within those 5 days and have a little time to complete all of the required quests. Note that a new day starts at 9:00 so the day officially hasn't started yet at 8:59.
* Use NPC Gatemasters and Windmasters.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Jun 2007, 18:48

arturchix wrote:There are several ways to cross the world map in a matter of days:

* Use various hidden teleporters, also inside dungeons that teleport you to other regions. For example, there's a hidden teleporter in New Sorpigal and you can travel from it directly to Dragonsands, and back from there. In Dragonsands there are Gatemaster and Windmaster NPCs available.
* Use NPCs that reduce travel by foot so that crossing a border will take you just 1 day, not 5. So you can get to Sweetwater within those 5 days and have a little time to complete all of the required quests. Note that a new day starts at 9:00 so the day officially hasn't started yet at 8:59.
* Use NPC Gatemasters and Windmasters.
  • - I have never been able to complete the 5 day game; but in Dragonsand, there are only Dragons :scared: but no NPC's for hire. I have been very successful hiring both a Gatemaster and a Windmaster right from the beginning, in New Sorpigal.

- I always thought the new day started at 6 am? ;| The Weapons & Armor Shops open at 6 am sharp. And when you awaken from sleeping at the Tavern, it's always 6 am too.
Please let me know if I've been under some strange misconception all this time. :jester:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 29 Jun 2007, 19:53

HodgePodge wrote:I have never been able to complete the 5 day game; but in Dragonsand, there are only Dragons :scared: but no NPC's for hire. I have been very successful hiring both a Gatemaster and a Windmaster right from the beginning, in New Sorpigal.
Well, neither have I tried to finish the game in 5 days but that's an acknowledged fact that it's a record, several players have done it. And you are forgetting Abdul's resort in Dragonsands - the place where you can place one of the statues and trade pyramids. There are also Gatemaster and Windmaster NPCs. ;)
HodgePodge wrote:I always thought the new day started at 6 am? ;| The Weapons & Armor Shops open at 6 am sharp. And when you awaken from sleeping at the Tavern, it's always 6 am too. Please let me know if I've been under some strange misconception all this time. :jester:
For game final score 9 am counts since the game itself also starts at 9 am. Feel free to verify. :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Jun 2007, 20:47

arturchix wrote:… And you are forgetting Abdul's resort in Dragonsands - the place where you can place one of the statues and trade pyramids. There are also Gatemaster and Windmaster NPCs. ;)
Ah yes, good old Abdul. Getting there at Level 1 to find a Windmaster so you can fly over the heads of all those Dragons, seems like an impossible task. I always use the old faithful 'reload tactic' in New Sorpigal until I find a Windmaster and/or Gatemaster wandering around town. :-D
arturchix wrote:For game final score 9 am counts since the game itself also starts at 9 am. Feel free to verify. :)

Oh I see, that's very interesting. Thanks. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 30 Jun 2007, 04:46

Anyone know the record for finishing MM7? I would think it would be at least several months because of some of the quest waiting times.

I think that the main reason Might and Magic 6 and 7 are so easy is because of the massive piles of Gold around the place, the Golden pyramids/ore and potions which add permanent stats. I would say the shrines are all fine but the wells and fountains that give permanent stats should ALL have some sort of negative effect EG: Disease, poison, death, subtract gold/xp or stats.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 30 Jun 2007, 06:52

The record to finish MM7 is 4 months and 11 days. It sounds quite much but due to those waiting times actually it's the very minimum.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 30 Jun 2007, 11:47

Thanks. I am not really all that much surprised either. I think I am getting abit annoying now, but what is the record time for finishing Might and Magic 9?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jun 2007, 14:18

Well I started it when it came out and still haven't. 8| Oh, I bet you when the fastest. :ashamed:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 30 Jun 2007, 17:42

accabear wrote:Thanks. I am not really all that much surprised either. I think I am getting abit annoying now, but what is the record time for finishing Might and Magic 9?
I'm not entirely sure but it might be 34 days, no shame for asking. :)

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 01 Jul 2007, 05:32

Oh alright, thanks then! That's a fairly impressive run of the game, 34 days, considering the amount of back and forth running about required.

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 05 Jul 2007, 02:08

Im still fiddling around with mm6 files.
monsters with 4x or 5x the hitpoints, 2x AC makes things zesty. (along with boosted damange and magical abilities)

Changing loot as well seems to make things more realistic/interesting as well.
eg a small chance of goblins dropping random loot instead of none,
A reduction of loot levels accross the board, eg Dragons and Titans only dropping a max of L5 items instead of L6.
Makes chests alot more important.

Wish i could nail down the shops selling high level spells though. THat would change everything.
M&M VI - the best.

andy1694
Peasant
Peasant

Hmmm

Unread postby andy1694 » 15 Apr 2008, 09:50

How is it actually possible to Finish Might and magic VI in 5 days game time:S?
You cannot possible finish the Hive, tomb of varn and colect allt he crystals in the four different castle in that short time?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 15 Apr 2008, 13:06

Use teleporter from New Sorpigal to Dragonsands, then with NPCs reduce the region cross time to 1 day. It requires great knowledge of the game but several players already have done it. I've never attempted to do it myself as I find the peasant games more challenging.

BTW, each new game in MM6 starts at 9 AM so if you finish the game at 8:59, a new day technically hasn't started.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 15 Apr 2008, 13:19

arturchix wrote:Use teleporter from New Sorpigal to Dragonsands, then with NPCs reduce the region cross time to 1 day. It requires great knowledge of the game but several players already have done it. I've never attempted to do it myself as I find the peasant games more challenging.

BTW, each new game in MM6 starts at 9 AM so if you finish the game at 8:59, a new day technically hasn't started.
Are there any movies about it, or screenshots. I'm curious because the game is pretty large, like Morrowind!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 16 Apr 2008, 14:07

Why would you make MM6 harder? It's probably the hardest game in the series. (Besides MMI and II which are only hard because they are old and confusing) I mean, wouldn't it be a better idea to make say, MM8 actually a challenge?
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Return to “Might and Magic”