On Nival and Heroes

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Jun 2007, 13:49

<a href="/http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.es/">La Torre de Marfil</a> published a translation of the recent Nival interview at CRPG.RU. In addition to the details about the Tribes of the East expansion that we talked about recently, two questions dealt with the future of the Heroes series:

<b>CRPG.RU</b>: is it possible to speak already about renaissance of the saga Heroes of Might and Magic financially? What does Ubisoft say on it?

<b>Sergey Semashko and Andrey Vostokov</b>: Undoubtedly. Since we have already said, the project not only has been amortized completely, but also it has allowed us to begin the work on the following deliveries.

<b>CRPG.RU</b>: what can you say about the destiny of the saga Heroes of Might and Magic and about Nival Interactive's role on it? Are there desires to continue the work on the Sixth one?

<b>Sergey Semashko and Andrey Vostokov</b>: Now we do not want to look so forward. Undoubtedly, we and the followers of "Heroes" would like that the saga continues developing, that there are new events, prominent figures appear, the universe spreads. But the time will answer us.

The answers are vague, but Heroes VI will most certainly be a Nival game. Speaking of La Torre, you should update your bookmarks as the site <a href="/http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.es/">has moved</a> to a new spiffy domain. Thanks to Lepastur for his message.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1182347343
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby soupnazii » 20 Jun 2007, 16:33

well i dont know about others around here but i think nival did a very good job on this game and am glad to hear they will be continuing work on the series.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Jun 2007, 16:35

So long as they keep the series alive, I'm happy.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Arveragus » 20 Jun 2007, 16:48

If Nival does develop Heroes VI, this guarantees a certain continuity in the game world at least, allowing them to build on the foundations laid by Heroes V and Dark Messiah.

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Vokial » 20 Jun 2007, 17:54

Bahhh Why Nival...???

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 17:58

Because they did a reasonably good job with H5.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby 1979 » 20 Jun 2007, 18:08

"...Heroes VI will most certainly be a Nival game."

Yay.

Oh well. It could be worse. EA could be the publisher.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Jun 2007, 18:29

Corribus wrote:Because they did a reasonably good job with H5.
But if they continue to ignore that outcry of a lot of the fans we will get another reasonably good product, but not a great one. Let's hope they dare to push the boundaries and not try just to avoid failure.
1979 wrote:
Oh well. It could be worse. EA could be the publisher.
Unlike you I think there are far worse fates than that.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 18:34

jeff wrote:But if they continue to ignore that outcry of a lot of the fans we will get another reasonably good product, but not a great one. Let's hope they dare to push the boundaries and not try just to avoid failure.
Well as I've argued continuously, "avoiding failure" was a reasonable and necessary approach for Ubisoft and Nival to take in developing H5. I am reasonably confident that you will see a more radical approach to H6.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Jun 2007, 18:39

Corribus wrote: [Well as I've argued continuously, "avoiding failure" was a reasonable and necessary approach for Ubisoft and Nival to take in developing H5. I am reasonably confident that you will see a more radical approach to H6.
You are probably right about not risking failure with H5, something they did avoid, and I hope you are right about H6.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 18:53

jeff wrote: and I hope you are right about H6.
It would be a very poor decision if Ubisoft did not, now that the brand has been re-established, take the game in a new direction. The "bringing the game to 3D" has been done. I think everything that can be wrung out of the traditional formula has been achieved. There's nothing more to do in that direction with the exception of "more, more, more", and I don't think fans will go for it.

Ubisoft's plan all along has been

(1) Recapture fans' attention, insert life back into Might and Magic

so that there will be enough people back on the bandwagon so they can

(2) Do what H4 admirably tried to do but failed because 3DO pulled the plug too soon.

Step 1 has been accomplished. So really, the only question remains, HOW will Ubisoft take the game in a new direction, because believe me, they WILL take the game in a new direction. That, of course, does not mean it will be GOOD, or that new ideas will be done WELL, and I'm sure there will be plenty who will bemoan the loss of "core HoMM elements".

I won't speculate what I believe H6 will, or should, be like. I have several things that *I* personally would like to see the game try to do, and maybe that will be the subject of a future Discourse, but I will venture to guess that it may very well have some real-time elements and potentially a more interactive world.

Now, let the tomatoes fly. :ducking:

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby soupnazii » 20 Jun 2007, 19:21

all this talk about heroes VI already... theres plenty of time yet, people.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Moragauth » 20 Jun 2007, 19:27

I am partly glad about this. I hope Nival and Ubi have both learnt from their mistakes. Plus I like the new cosmos and the changes Nival made (well, most), so I cannot say I'm sorry.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Jun 2007, 19:37

Corribus wrote: but I will venture to guess that it may very well have some real-time elements and potentially a more interactive world.

Now, let the tomatoes fly. :ducking:
Well depending on what those elements are that are real time, that would certainly pull the plug on any chance of my buying it. I never have nor never will have any desire to try and out react a computer in a strategy or rpg. Others may love it however so we'll see.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Jun 2007, 20:10

Nival did a good job with H5, maybe safe stepping to much, but they will learn in time. I just hope Ubi will let them do their job.

Crosis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Crosis » 20 Jun 2007, 21:12

"but I will venture to guess that it may very well have some real-time elements"

I hope not. I've always hated RTS click-fests.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 22:00

jeff wrote:Well depending on what those elements are that are real time, that would certainly pull the plug on any chance of my buying it. I never have nor never will have any desire to try and out react a computer in a strategy or rpg. Others may love it however so we'll see.
I wasn't thinking "full RTS", like Warcraft. More like the changes that occurred between Xeen and MMVI, changes which I was initially dreading but actually worked out pretty well.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby Moragauth » 20 Jun 2007, 22:49

I'm not too fond of RTS games, so unless it was well implemented, I'd stop buying the game if such a change occured.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 22:52

I repeat: I doubt they would ever turn the game into an RTS game. I said RTS elements. Their goal is going to be to shake things up. Adding some RTS elements would certainly do that. I expect you may also see a return of some features from H4, like possibly heroes on the battlefield. All speculation on my part, of course, but I can assure you that H6 will be quite different from H5, and probably any HoMM game before it. Mark me.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

On Nival and Heroes

Unread postby asandir » 20 Jun 2007, 23:14

Oh pooh
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “News”