Stereo or operasound possible in Heroes 2?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Stereo or operasound possible in Heroes 2?

Unread postby Campaigner » 12 Jun 2007, 05:05

The compatibility kit in the sticky didn't work (there's already a profile for Heroes, did you know that?). Mounting with CD in drive didn't work, WIN 95 compatibility is on....so what can I do?

Like only midi sound wasn't bad enough....now the game crashes when I enter combat! Attacking some wandering monsters (first battle in the map) and the game crashes to desktop with the "game has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.....

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 12 Jun 2007, 13:44

Applying the Win95 compatibility setting will override anything you did with the tookit. Try turning that off and re-applying your Heroes compatibility profile.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 12 Jun 2007, 21:48

Didn't work.

Will it work perfectly if I dualboot with Win98 instead of XP?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Jun 2007, 02:52

If your other OS is a linux flavor, try Wine. According to them, Heroes 2 is supposed to run pretty well out of the box.

I've seen the same crash repeatedly for Heroes 1, but never for Heroes 2. I'll have to think/experiment a bit and get back to you.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 Jun 2007, 04:11

I tried the premade compatibility for "Heroes of Might and Magic" and it plays perfectly now (though without stereo sound).

So how do we get the stereo sound up and running? :) Also no sound in the campaign menus when you choose a mission.

So annoying....in Heroes III it's mp3s. No stupid stereo selection....

Update: I've tried Virtual PC 2007 but I can't install Win98 on it (computer seem to look for it but nothing happens).

MoxManiac
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MoxManiac » 15 Jun 2007, 15:48

Are you using XP? H2's sound worked fine for me after installing with no modifications or changes to anything on XP SP2; it was installing that was my problem. (hence my thread)

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Jun 2007, 13:24

I'll assume you have the stereo sound turned on in the game options. What fixes did the "Heroes of Might and Magic" compatibility thing enable? When I wrote the fix you saw in the FAQ I was using ACT version 3.0. I wonder if version 5.0 has changed anything.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”