Interview at GameSpot

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 08 Jul 2005, 17:18

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1120792256

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 08 Jul 2005, 17:18

I'm glad to hear more about heroes in battle. It would appear that certain races at higher levels can take some limited actions. That sounds like a good compromise. It implies that there will be racial abilities and that new skills will be gained as heroes advance. That sounds good, too.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HMMFan » 08 Jul 2005, 20:22

I agree. The removal of the hero from the battlefiled was a must for me, but the inclusion of the specific "skills" makes the hero more interesting than just a magic wielding cannon from behind the lines.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 09 Jul 2005, 09:09

I'm a bit negative today... They're changing the things they shouldn't have changed while keeping those that need some revision. I hope the homm3 huggers are consequent in their nay-saying and will condemn this because it won't look exactly like homm3 tough. "From the outset, Ubisoft decided to revamp the whole Might and Magic universe into a revolutionary modern fantasy.". Where ARE those people that trashed the forge now? Are they keeping their mouth shut, what they should have done so long ago? "a new world". NWC/3DO has created awesome oppertunities with homm4, but because the fanboys rather wanted to hate homm4 for not being homm3, even that has to be deleted.

"FC & TLG: Our objective with Heroes of Might and Magic V is to unify the fans and communities as we begin a new series and era in fantasy strategy games. In the coming weeks, we will reveal lots of details about the game: races, creatures, and story. Stay tuned! "

The fans, those divided because part were open to change, the other part were to stubborn to see no one really is waiting for another homm1 clone.

Ah, I'm negative today. Hopefully I will turn out to be wrong.
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 09 Jul 2005, 14:49

Hmmmm....a lot of the stuff they said isn't anything real new, but it's a bit more informative than usual. I'm wondering about this new 'dynamic battle system', where everyone is told where to move and then does it all at once. Sorry, none of that for me, I'm sticking with the traditional Heroes TBS fighting. The racial advantages sound interesting, kinda goes back to H3's hero abilities. WoW(World of Warcraft) has them too. That was the only hero dissapointment in IV for me, that heroes couldn't have their own specific ability. But I quickly forgot about it. Only 6 factions though? I liked III because it had so many to choose from. Let's see, Castle, Rampart, Tower, Inferno, Necropolis, Stronghold, Conflux, Fortress, yeah thta's 8. But I'm happy about the all new faction, hope it has some all new monsters.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 09 Jul 2005, 16:57

Raynaert, please consider that a major reason for Ubisoft and Nival using mostly H3 features and not H4 features may very well be that the people working on it (Fabrice and the Nival team) are H3 fans and not H4 fans.

Fabrice wrote a long time ago that he had played mostly H3 and hadn't even tried H4 until recently. Reading between the lines, I would also say that most of the Nival team are big fans of H3 and not of H4. So while more Heroes players also are H3 fans, I think that even without fan influence the designers would be going in the H3 direction just because it's their own preference, so don't be so quick to blame the fans, although personally, I also think it's better that they take H3 as a base for many aspects of the game rather than H4.

I've barely even played H4 despite getting it soon after it came out (I think I've played fewer than half the campaigns and one or two standalone maps), primarily because the AI is so poor, I have a slow computer so the game doesn't run too smoothly, and because I spend a fair bit of time with WoG, but even so, I've posted messages that some of the better H4 features should certainly be looked at for inclusion in H5.

As for the new world, I suppose that's mostly a background story issue. While it's good to have an intersting background, I personally never spent much time getting into the Heroes background story anyway so it doesn't matter much to me if it's a continuation of what went before or something completely new.
- Fnord

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 09 Jul 2005, 16:58

CloudRiderX, yes I like H3's variety of town types too, but you forgot the Dungeon, so that makes nine.
- Fnord

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 10 Jul 2005, 06:34

I moved on to Heroes IV mainly because I thought I'd gotten everything out of Heroes III that it had to offer. By the end, I knew every wart and wrinkle so well that I was having to abuse the engine to get my kicks. Heroes IV offered a whole new world to conquer, and I still find myself being surprised.

As I recall, the original Heroes III AI was not all that good, and the real pity is that the Heroes IV AI never had a chance to get better. Diplomacy and Dimension Door pretty much spoil Heroes III, just as Necromancy and Hypnotize spoil Heroes IV. Fortunately, I was able to find a way to balance out the weakness of the AI and to tap into a good supply of challenging user made maps so that I've been able to enjoy Heroes IV for what it is.

(Good Lord, Fnord, that's one frightening avatar you have there. Brrrr.)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 10 Jul 2005, 17:14

@Fnord: Yeah I'm a dork, i forgot the Dungeon. lol
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 11 Jul 2005, 08:36

@charleswatkins

The difference is that the homm3 AI was never marked 'retarded', unlike the homm4 AI. Giving Fanboys all around the globe a reason to hate homm4.

I'm not stating homm3 is worse then homm4, they're completely different games, I am stating homm3 may be overrated in comparison to homm4

In the eyes of most fan(boys), homm4 never has gotten a chance. (thanks 3do). Not entirely without reason tough, since it got released unfinished, and 6 months later and 50 MB patches later it got allright. The damage was done, however, and the justified bad messages about homm4 were repeated so much, that I presume the most agressive homm4-haters are the one that barely got trough the installation process. Real gems need time to accustom to, unless you want some kind of populistic game.
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

kurios
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurios » 11 Jul 2005, 19:27

One of the things i liked about HOMM4 was the usability of heroes in combat. Whats teh point of callin the games Heroes of might and magick if they don't get into the mix and prove thier heroism. Real knights were in the mix of the combat. Now i know this is fantasy, but even in fantasy the real heroes actually took part of the fighting, and the weaklings were the ones that simply sat on the hill and watched the battle from afar, and no one would ever call those guys heroes.

That was the main feature i did not like about HOMM3 and why i rate HOMM4 above it. If the heroes dont take active part of the combat , then call the game "Armies of the Might and Magic"

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 12 Jul 2005, 08:28

Right now, for homm5, I prefer the subtitle Dragons of might and magic

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HMMFan » 12 Jul 2005, 16:46

Let me get this straight, Reynault, you think that the AI for H4 "works?" Are you actually kidding? I just loaded and played the game for the 4th time with all patches and the Equilibrius mod, and the computer still does ....nothing. Sorry, mate, but you are out to lunch if that is your opinion.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 12 Jul 2005, 21:01

I don't actually need a world-class mastermind on the other sideof the pc to enjoy myself.

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HMMFan » 13 Jul 2005, 18:21

Well, I can understand that, but it would be nice if the computer did something with its armies other than create those cute little disks on the ground with the grave markers.

lpatenaude
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby lpatenaude » 16 Jul 2005, 16:06

I've seen the latest trailer#3 and, the result is absolute stupefaction of the greatest satisfaction that my two eyes could lavish the sight.

As I predicted, there will be a possibility to attack the same town by two to four factions willing to conquer that town, all at the same time.

I must agree with Fnord again on the immense lookalike of the gameplay and interface of H3 within this completely redone HoMM franchise's game + the real life approach of the flying units within the combat scene. Tactics for attack and defense are greatly enhanced to help the novice or the so-called expert at trying things during combat like absolutely no other turn-based, rts or even, rpg could have ever done before.

This will be a definite 'E' for Everyone to try and play for absolute fun or serious gaming.

I'm ready to give it an A+ to its current status of gameplay.
Earth is a large world.
So does our egos and opinions onto everything.

Return to “News”