Can One Game Last a Lifetime?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 11 May 2007, 18:47

The <a href="/http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3159208"1UP</a> gaming site asks the age-old question: if you could play just one game for the rest of your life, what would it be? They provide the following scenario:

<i>"You're about to be stranded on a deserted island. You can bring just one game with you, on any system. But here's the catch: While the island has electricity, it doesn't have Internet access -- so the easy, open-ended choices like MMORPGs are right out."</i>

Dan Hsu of Electronic Gaming Monthly chose Heroes of Might and Magic III, and I know many of you will pick that game as well. Civilizations and Oblivion get the most votes among the video game industry personalities. What about you?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1178909235
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby archcorenth » 11 May 2007, 19:02

I probably wouldn't actually choose Heroes, because you can't download maps and 3DO's maps get boring after a while I've still yet to finish Heroes III mostly for that reason, though I must say they still have better maps than Ubisoft and certainly a more interesting plot.

I'd have to choose something with a high amount of randomness, but that I could make maps for myself too. As such I'd choose the freeware game Enigma. It has a hundreds of levels that are random everytime and it'd probably take a life to complete all the levels anyway, plus you can easily make your own maps if you learn its simplictic programming language.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 11 May 2007, 19:37

I guess I would have to go with Unreal Tournament 2004 (UT3 if it's released before I get stranded). This is a game that truly knew how to inundate you with a ton of maps (get a clue Nival, the amount of maps you provided was a joke). You could play this game over and over again and still have plenty of content to keep you satisfied.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 11 May 2007, 19:43

H3 WOGged. Especially if I can take all of the maps I already have. The ability to use the random map generator and then tweak the map as I choose makes it pretty endless. H3 is the only game I'm still playing after 7 years, and WOG just makes it better.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 11 May 2007, 19:47

They didn't make such game yet. So no game, no island and no elektricity without the internet. :tonguehands:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 11 May 2007, 19:54

You're no fun, Pol! ;) My pick would probably be Civilizations IV (because I played too much of Civ II already). That series offers more variety than the Heroes games, even if it can't beat the excitement of a close battle between two mega-heroes.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 11 May 2007, 19:58

Didn't Ubisoft release a HOMM title that had all the HOMM games in Europe (wasn't released in the States)? I would want to carry that. Lots of campiagns and maps and with some effort I could probably create some good random maps and get into making mods too.

I'll bet I could come up with factions that are actually balbanced . :)

It would have to be a game like that for which new content can be made.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

hein321
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby hein321 » 11 May 2007, 20:59

homm3 for ever

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 11 May 2007, 22:16

Might and Magic II, Gates to Another World. I could play that forever and ever and ever and ever...........

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 11 May 2007, 22:24

For me, I have to go a bit on the boss' side and say it will be a tough choice between Civil and Heroes.

I would probably go finally with Heroes, not because of the game itself, but for the game-map editor combo, wich is probably the best of any game series (in terms of one complementing the other, and being both fun by themselves).

But, back on my one-against-the-world line, I'm sure it would not be Heroes III the one I chose. Amongst II, IV or V, I'm not sure wich one I will decide.
Edited on Fri, May 11 2007, 15:25 by Dragon Angel
Don't be fooled by the title -- Dragons can disguise as peasants, too

Sherpa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sherpa » 11 May 2007, 23:31

I have 2 favorites:

Civ 2

Homm 3 (all exp, wog included)

Bluepoet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bluepoet » 11 May 2007, 23:52

I'd probably choose Starflight, assuming I had a really ancient computer, that would run it!!

Or, Master of Orion 2

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 May 2007, 23:52

I also would not pick any of the Heroes games, the maps supplied would become boring too quickly and none of them had or have an RMG that produce games suitable for a one person game. Why continues to be mystifying as Master of Orion, Master of Magic and even Master of Orion 2 all can create very challenging games. So I would probably pick one of those. I still play MOM2 from time to time. I would play the other two but they do not do well on the new computers and OS. I might even consider taking Phantasy Star 2, that game eternally hooked me on turn based RPGs.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 12 May 2007, 00:23

jeff wrote:MOM2
You mean MOO2 right?

MOM is Master of...

*starts crying because MOM 2 sounds like something that'll never happen*
:cry:

I would probably take Master of Magic myself...it has got to be one of the best, if not the best, turn based fantasy strategy game ever made. :D
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 May 2007, 01:00

I would pick Wizardry 8. That game had me really really hooked for a very long time.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 12 May 2007, 01:44

winterfate wrote:
jeff wrote:MOM2
You mean MOO2 right?

MOM is Master of...

*starts crying because MOM 2 sounds like something that'll never happen*
:cry:

I would probably take Master of Magic myself...it has got to be one of the best, if not the best, turn based fantasy strategy game ever made. :D
You're right I did mean MOO2, I also grieve that they never did MOM2.
PhoenixReborn wrote:I would pick Wizardry 8. That game had me really really hooked for a very long time.
I as well played Wizardry 8 for a very long time, it is still one of the best fantasy RPGs ever done, and it had a great AI.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

dylanfan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dylanfan » 12 May 2007, 10:05

I would probably choose Morrowind. In the past I played Morrowind for hundreds of hours. The gameworld is huge and there are many interesting sidequests. I haven't tried Oblivion, but I heard the gameworld of Oblivion is a lot smaller.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 12 May 2007, 11:09

1) Ultimate Tournament Pong.

after you have tasted Ultimate Tournament Pong, you dont want to see anything else. Only then you get a new, sinister meaning for the words "depth" and "storyline". it is truly epic - it is a metaphor of how we all actually are balls, bouncing between the twisted paddles of life.

2) Zork
You are in a pitch black room. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
nuff said.

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Saturas » 12 May 2007, 12:36

"I would probably choose Morrowind. In the past I played Morrowind for hundreds of hours. The gameworld is huge and there are many interesting sidequests. I haven't tried Oblivion, but I heard the gameworld of Oblivion is a lot smaller."

Well no, gameworld of Oblivion is a lot bigger, like twice.

My pick in this moment would be Warcraft 3 TFT. There are a lots of RPG's that can bind you for computer for years. I played gothic and morrowind for long time but when I found out all that could be found in game, I stopped. So I think I would never choose RPG, no matter how interesting or big.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 12 May 2007, 15:56

At first I thought about HoMM II, but there aren't many included maps and I'm a horrible mapmaker.

I'd have to choose NetHack.

Return to “News”