The big CTD thread. About why, what, and when

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

The big CTD thread. About why, what, and when

Unread postby reynaert » 19 Jun 2006, 16:40

Now, we all have got a few ctd's before. I guess anyway. So, I propose we gather those not-quick-to-explain CTD's to see where there's an unknown gamebreaking bug. (The defining point here shoud be the Crash To Desktop, since it's a little less obvious then the regular bug)

conditions
(amd 1,8 ghz, xp home, 768 ram, 256mb ati r9600, 60 gb left, heroes 5.1.1, no modifications)
2 players on 4-player map (lowering AI time to think)
somewhere far in the game, 2nd month, 1st week.
AI in shrouded area
and during the AI's turn, without me even seeing it, the game quickly does the crash-thingy. no freezing time, no thinking time, no screens, no 'do you want to send a report', just crash.

(on a sidenote, the first aid tent mysteriously auto-waits when you're having first aid and plague tent, when fighting an opponent who can be hurt by plague tent, but don't have any lost HP on your own side. Yet.)
Last edited by reynaert on 19 Jun 2006, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 19 Jun 2006, 16:50

About half the time I load a saved game or load a new map it freezes for me. I have an amd 64 3500+, 1 gig of dual channel ram, 512 mb radeon x1600 pro,200 gig hard drive.

So i guess the game freezing is as bad as a ctd problem. :D

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 20 Jun 2006, 01:24

HoMM V never crashed on me in neither comps I have at home, and worked rock solid on alt+tabs, ctrl+alt+dels (don't ask why, cubase is a ...) etc..

F.e.a.r. though, is quite the contrary for me, as I've never been able to quit the game via menus, always saving and ctrl+alt+deleting my way out. :D

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: The big CTD thread. About why, what, and when

Unread postby Psychobabble » 20 Jun 2006, 01:29

reynaert wrote:(on a sidenote, the first aid tent mysteriously auto-waits when you're having first aid and plague tent, when fighting an opponent who can be hurt by plague tent, but don't have any lost HP on your own side. Yet.)
Not so mysterious, the first aid tent has 3 shots. Once it has used these it just waits.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 20 Jun 2006, 07:40

it has? I was able to use it afterwards, though, in the same combat.

Kiyoko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kiyoko » 01 Jul 2006, 17:24

i have a strange problem that i can't seem to solve. I have played the game for several weeks w/o a problem and reached the sylvan campain. I played for half an hour earlier today and everything was fine. now when i try to start the game i only get to the first splash screen and then it crashes. I have tried upgrading (was at 1.0 before) and reinstalling without any success. i haven't done anything with my computer that should effect the game, not installed any programs or drivers. does anyone have any idea on what this could be?

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 11 Jul 2006, 10:52

Kiyoko, Don't know if this will help....

I used to sometimes have similar problem on H3 maps. I found that (sometimes) reloading a savegame, and then doing something differently before ending my turn solved the problem.

In those cases it would seem the AI changed it's movement, and a conflict was avoided.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

wzrdmstr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wzrdmstr » 29 Apr 2007, 12:47

Bonzer seems to have nailed that...sometimes when I change my actions before saving in a way that alters the AI move...the crash doesn't happen. This is a very anoying glitch, however, and I hope that it will be resolved in gamepatch 5.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Apr 2007, 17:59

Woah, that's one helluva bump...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 30 Apr 2007, 03:30

Yeah, nearly one whole year...what page was this thread on? :)

On-topic: At least for me, the CTD's I used to get were when I was trying to run H5 with an incompatible video card...

The corrupted saves and some of the nastier bugs can be killers...:(
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 30 Apr 2007, 23:29

I've never had a crash like that, but I have had my system laptop overheat running the game. That sucks.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”