Seen any good movies lately?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 11 Apr 2007, 10:28

I am not one of those guys, who likes to compare the book with the movie, but in this case the movie was a huge dissapointment. "Papillon" is one of my favourite books. It simply cannot be "converted" into a good 150 minutes film.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Apr 2007, 15:19

Veldrynus wrote:I am not one of those guys, who likes to compare the book with the movie, but in this case the movie was a huge dissapointment. "Papillon" is one of my favourite books. It simply cannot be "converted" into a good 150 minutes film.
The movie was good. The book was, as Vel said, better beyond comparison. Sadly, my copy is nearly disintegrated because it's been read so many times.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 11 Apr 2007, 17:53

I strongly recommend Blades of Glory if you like Will Ferrel. The movie has some really funny moments.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 11 Apr 2007, 20:32

This evening I just watched 300 however I'm not sure if it really fits in this topic as I can't say it was a good movie. Lots of repetitive battles with visual effects that mostly were disappointing with few exceptions and some moments just made me laugh since they were a blatant copy from well known movies, like Gladiator, Troy, Lord of the Rings...Oh and I loved this -first, the enemy attacks with soldiers aka cannon fodder, then some asian ninjas aka immortal guys, then minotaurs, then some kind of a rhino, then oliphaunts...man, what will be next, really godzillas?

Well, I didn't really expect anything peculiar from this movie however I did expect a little more from the special effects. Probably the coolest moment in the movie - the queen stabs the traitor that was followed by applause from the female audience. :hoo:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Apr 2007, 21:53

I've just bought "Ben Hur", one of those good ol' classics... from a time when men were men, women were decorative, and winning only one Oscar at a time was a disgrace :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Apr 2007, 23:14

arturchix wrote:Probably the coolest moment in the movie - the queen stabs the traitor that was followed by applause from the female audience. :hoo:
I hated that part. This was Sparta, not Athens where they were all political favors and shit. She should have killed that guy as soon as he showed signs of being a duplicitous prick.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Apr 2007, 02:10

well, that one will be a wait for DVD for me .... but now I'm watching Buffy Season 2 - so no movies for a little while
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Apr 2007, 03:30

This afternoon I saw Grindhouse and it was everything I hoped it would be. I haven't had such a good time for a long while. If you like Tarantino and Rodriquez movies, you really should see this. In case you have not seen the promos, it is two exploitation-type movies combined into a double feature. One is a zombie movie and the other one is about a car psycho. You also get some great trailers.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 13 Apr 2007, 03:46

I heard they may split it up due to lackluster box-office sales.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Apr 2007, 08:04

Caradoc wrote:This afternoon I saw Grindhouse and it was everything I hoped it would be. I haven't had such a good time for a long while. If you like Tarantino and Rodriquez movies, you really should see this. In case you have not seen the promos, it is two exploitation-type movies combined into a double feature. One is a zombie movie and the other one is about a car psycho. You also get some great trailers.
You mean kind of like From Dusk Till Dawn?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Apr 2007, 13:36

Caradoc wrote:This afternoon I saw Grindhouse and it was everything I hoped it would be. I haven't had such a good time for a long while. If you like Tarantino and Rodriquez movies, you really should see this. In case you have not seen the promos, it is two exploitation-type movies combined into a double feature. One is a zombie movie and the other one is about a car psycho. You also get some great trailers.
Many reviews have indicated that while the Rodriquez part is fantastic, the Tarantino part is terrible and boring. Any truth to that?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Apr 2007, 23:48

Corribus wrote:
Many reviews have indicated that while the Rodriquez part is fantastic, the Tarantino part is terrible and boring. Any truth to that?
The Rodriquez movie is definitely better, so if you don't have 3 hours the Tarantino one can be missed. I liked it though, because it was made/set in Austin and I've spent time at the locations they used. There are some Austin in-jokes sprinkled in as well. He really captures the Austin lifestyle.

The first half is about 4 chicks partying around town and meeting up with Stunt Man Mike (Kurt Russell), who goes after them in his stunt car. The second half is 3 other chicks who turn the tables. Russell is great and the girls are fine. Amazing stunt work and camera work. Just no machine guns or zombies.

BTW: There are also some great pseudo-trailers. I'd love to see 'Machette'.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 15 Apr 2007, 10:44

Want to go see the Condemed (or however it is spelled). One question. Who is "Stone Cold Steve Austin?" Seems to be the main star and I really have no idea why.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 15 Apr 2007, 10:50

Has anyone seen Perfume? I haven't read the book, but I liked the movie a lot.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 15 Apr 2007, 14:24

Mytical wrote:Want to go see the Condemed (or however it is spelled). One question. Who is "Stone Cold Steve Austin?" Seems to be the main star and I really have no idea why.
He's a pro-wrestler for WWE.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Apr 2007, 16:23

Wrestlers make surprisingly good actors (of the action variety). You got Jesse Ventura (Predator), Roddy Piper (They Live), and of course the Rock (Scorpion King), all turning in pretty good performances. Can anyone think of others?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 15 Apr 2007, 16:34

I'm not sure I would consider the Rock a great actor. Good at beating the $h*t out of people, performing stunts, and doing his trademark eyebrow thing on film, but he's comically bad at "acting". :)

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 15 Apr 2007, 17:17

Caradoc wrote:Wrestlers make surprisingly good actors (of the action variety).
No surprise. Wrestling is about acting.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 15 Apr 2007, 19:50

Hulk Hogan was in Suburban Commando. John Cena was in The Marine or something like that.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 15 Apr 2007, 20:59

Just got back from GrindHouse! WHOOO - F'N - HOO!

What a hoot. We laughed and cheered through the entire flick. (both of them) I don't know if anyone under 40 is going to get all the 'in jokes' - and they sure aren't going to get all nostalgic about 'scratches, pops and hisses' in the film... but as an old fart who WAS a teen in the late 70's, this was a scream. It was also fun to watch for the little sight gags that Tarantino put in, like Kurt Russel's shirt from Big Trouble in Little China tacked to the wall in the bar.

I can't wait to get this on DVD and start looking at the backgrounds for everything that I missed the first time.

Gamers don't grow old. We just level up.

Return to “Campfire”