Computer Upgrade Tips

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 25 Mar 2007, 17:09

A bit off-topic - Angelspit, how's Morrowind, still playing as an orc crusader? :)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 Mar 2007, 20:34

I made some progress, and then had to stop because of that home improvement project. With the good weather back, I'm really not sure I'll have the time and the will to finish the game. I might go back to Heroes instead, or stick to more casual games.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Mar 2007, 03:44

I can't say how much I loathe laptops. They always have heat and power problems, they are hard to repair and difficult to upgrade, and they cost way more than an equivalent PC.

If I ruled the world (ahem) there would be screens and network drops all over and all we would need would be a lightweight client. The idea of everyone toting around a hard drive and graphics card seems so .. primitive.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Mar 2007, 09:19

Caradoc wrote:If I ruled the world (ahem) there would be screens and network drops all over and all we would need would be a lightweight client. The idea of everyone toting around a hard drive and graphics card seems so .. primitive.
Well, you've got my vote.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Mar 2007, 15:48

Caradoc wrote:and they cost way more than an equivalent PC.
That's not really as true these day as it used to be. Pricing both, I have found that the laptops and desktops are nearly the same price, similarly equipped. Desktops do give you more options with video cards, but you will pay a premium for the good ones in any case.

But really it's a moot point. I have to have a laptop for work, so I'm stuck either way.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Mar 2007, 03:16

it depends on what you want as well, if you want your computer to be portable then you'll get a laptop, if not then I suggest a PC
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 Mar 2007, 06:20

The master of the obvious strikes again... ;)
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 Mar 2007, 08:37

Gaidal Cain wrote:The master of the obvious strikes again... ;)
after re-reading that, I was tempted to edit it (cause it's just a touch on the obvious side :) ) but then remembered how much abject stupidity there is in this world and thought I'd let it slide
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Mar 2007, 12:06

stefan.urlus wrote:but then remembered how much abject stupidity there is in this world and thought I'd let it slide
Yeah, what's just one more... :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 29 Mar 2007, 15:19

I suppose you could get one of those Lan-party rigs. That would be portable, if not particularly convenient.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Computer Upgrade Tips

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Aug 2016, 13:46

Just bought a new monitor and a new laptop, both were really cheap. :)

The monitor is a 23,6" from Asus (the VS247NR) and it's a big step up from that 19" Samsung I bought about 10 years ago. I have to say, though, it's lasted a long time and it's still working well so the only reason I upgraded was that I came across this great offer.

More on the laptop later; I haven't even unpacked it yet. It's a good purchase, with a Pentium (not Celeron) CPU for less than 3K (NOK). Any time you see that, go for it. My old laptop is really starting to work poorly so it was a good time to upgrade. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Aug 2016, 19:29

You also need a programmer to prep it for you in the book. :)

Anyway K. you tied it loslessly to last Caradoc (aka Charles Watkins) post from 2007. Memory, memory...!
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 May 2017, 20:16

Time for a new PSU:

Ever since I changed my GPU, I've had a problem with the sound. When running some high graphics games or videos, there's a buzzing noise. I think it's because there's a drain on my PSU, so the first attempt at solving the problem involves buying a new PSU with more separate cables (the only other option I can see is buying a separate sound card).

I currently have the Corsair CX430, and after doing a bit of research I have come up with the following candidates:
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 (I like that it's "Gold" but unsure if significant).
EVGA SuperNOVA 750B1 (I like the price, but unsure as to quality).
EVGA GQ 1000W Hybrid Modular 80+ (possibly the best one quality-wise but I think a bit too expensive).
EVGA GQ 850W Hybrid Modular 80+ (maybe a better compromise).

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 May 2017, 21:01

Gold and Bronze means power efficiency, they also remotely indicate quality of components inside, at least some of them.
80 PLUS is an initiative to promote energy efficiency in computer power supply units (PSU). It certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load, and a power factor of 0.9 or greater at 100% load. That is, PSUs that waste 20% or less electric energy as heat at the specified load levels, thus reducing electricity use and bills compared to less efficient PSUs. Sometimes rebates are given for manufacturers who use 80 PLUS-certified PSUs.

There're 5 levels:

80Plus
80Plus Bronze
80Plus Silver
80Plus Gold
80Plus Platinum
If you are limited to that shop offer, then I see two candidates:
https://www.netonnet.no/art/datakompone ... 006.11091/
https://www.netonnet.no/art/datakompone ... 020.11091/

650W should suffice, there is a big difference compared to your existing Corsair 430.

Semi modular = some cables are detachable, so if you don't need them you will save space in case.

Edit1

:right: Although changing PSU is a good idea, I'm pretty afraid that buzzing sound may come directly from the GPU, you should do some test and use improvised stethoscope or just paper roll to identify the source.

Use something to stress it.

Now I don't know if you meant sound like from the case or the buzz is coming from your speakers. If later, you should go with separate sound card.
Last edited by Pol on 17 May 2017, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 May 2017, 07:49

The sound is coming from the speakers and is constant, but increases during heavy graphics load. So when I watch a video, it's a small annoyance, but when I try to play X3:TC, the noise is so loud that the game becomes unplayable with sound. So maybe a dedicated sound card is a better place to start than a new PSU?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 May 2017, 08:35

Hmm, try to start with a new sound card then. In the end it could be that you will need both. The real problem is that we cannot measure your PSU output, this would give us reply instantly.

Either there's interference when there's high load or the PSU is "tired" and dropping.
"We made it!"

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 May 2017, 09:51

Yes, I did think it could have something to do with interference; having a PSU with separate cables going to each unit instead of several units having to "share" power through the same cable could fix it - another reason to buy a PSU with more sockets for cables.

So sound cards ... maybe buy something cheap first to test it, but the models I'm looking at don't have it specified that they're Win10 compatible ...
Last edited by Kalah on 18 May 2017, 18:46, edited 2 times in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 May 2017, 09:26

Sound card: Sound Blaster Audigy Fx is compatible with Windows 10, according to the manufacturer, so I guess I'll go for that one. It's cheap and if it fixes the problem, that'll be great.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 May 2017, 11:00

Yup, try it. ;)
"We made it!"

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 May 2017, 15:21

Got the new sound card and after some trouble installing it (the mobo somehow didn't see it in the slot), it suddenly started working. Conclusion: it hasn't fixed the problem completely. While the sound is fine through headphones, and the whizzing sound is not as loud as before, it is still there. So it's helped a little bit, but not taken the buzzing noise away completely.

Return to “Campfire”