Heroes III Expansion difficulty

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes III Expansion difficulty

Unread postby Century » 03 Mar 2007, 17:27

Hopefully I haven't trodden on somebody else's thread here, but is there any good reason why the Heroes III expansions were so hard? I find it difficult to get anywhere (I can't even get past the first map of AB!!)

Admittedly... I suck at these games -_- But I just find them impossible :s It seems a little harsh on a paying customer XD

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 Mar 2007, 17:45

By default, expansions are meant to offer more challenging scenarios/campaigns to fans of a certain game. The HoMM expansions are no different, though the quality of each expansion is not always up to par.

Welcome to Celestial Heavens!
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Century » 03 Mar 2007, 17:52

Metathron wrote:Welcome to Celestial Heavens!
Thanks ^_^

Like I say, I am crap at HoMM in general. But I just can't get anywhere on these. First map of each campaign totally stumps me 8( I don't know whether I'm too slow (I'm one of those people who likes to take their time :) ) or my tactics are poor. It's a shame because I love the story, and I'd like to see it unfold during the game.

I always thought of expansions as being just that - additional stuff, like maps, campaigns, character types etc. The extra challenge is always nice - but these are just a little too challenging :S

Edit: The difficulty comes across as being of the cheap kind, like in HoMMV.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 Mar 2007, 19:54

( I don't know whether I'm too slow (I'm one of those people who likes to take their time smile )
That may be the problem here. The expansion maps especially require you to focus on the task(s) at hand and not wonder about, something which you can afford in regular maps.
Edit: The difficulty comes across as being of the cheap kind, like in HoMMV.
It does? Well, when it comes to HoMM I-IV I never saw the kind of "cheap" difficulty, as you so aptly put it, as is found in HoMM V. But it's been a while since I played AB, and in my case it is probably the least played expansion though I vaguely remember some frustration. :(

Maybe these can help you: http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/134 ... aigns.html

Good luck!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes III Expansion difficulty

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2007, 20:32

Century wrote: (I can't even get past the first map of AB!!)
That is pretty bad... i made it to the second map of Dracon's campaign. Damn Rust Dragons.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Heroes III Expansion difficulty

Unread postby Century » 03 Mar 2007, 21:22

ThunderTitan wrote:
Century wrote: (I can't even get past the first map of AB!!)
That is pretty bad...
Lol yah. I think Metathron might have highlighted where I'm going wrong though - I do like to amble a bit, and maybe I'm just not focussing on the tasks enough :s

That may also be why I thought it was "cheap". I'll have to give them another shot pretty soon, and see where I get. Thanks for those guides, I'd actually stumbled on them for the first time a little earlier today XD Hopefully if I sort out how to do those maps, I'll get a bit better at them 8)

Thanks!

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 04 Mar 2007, 14:52

It has been a while, but I believe that if you have SoD installed, then you can choose your difficulty leve in the campaigns. Many of them defaulted to the top two difficulty settings, which weaker players probably couldn't handle. If you lower the difficulty, then you will have an easier time.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 04 Mar 2007, 16:15

That is true for SoD campaigns, but not for AB ones (the ones that are tougher to start with).

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Century » 09 Mar 2007, 20:06

Well that's something, anyway. I'll check that out at some point, thanks 8)

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 09 Mar 2007, 20:42

Yeah, AB map 1 you want to rush to start. Save the exploration for after you’ve pinned the last enemy hero in the last town. IIRC you need to grab any troops sitting in the towns, visit the mage guilds and immediately start conquering with Queen Catherine.

Gelu’s is relatively simple as well. Get as many Sharpshooters as possible, in two or three stacks, and maybe Pegasi and Centaurs for speed/protection. Take over towns as fast as you can, protecting your Sharpshooters. Use the troops the Infernos generate to guard them. Also, there was a pair of Equestrian’s gloves up in the north and a stack of Sharpshooters that join you, but you may not need them.

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Century » 10 Mar 2007, 20:05

Thanks for the info 8) I'm gonna leave SB for a bit, and I've just had a look to where I last got on SD - Driving for the Boots on the New Beginnings campaign.

I've tried to do this map a lot in the past, but keep getting owned by huge armies coming from the south. I can't seem to build up a big enough army even with all of the Elven towns to the north-west of the map 8( Any ideas? I've had a look at the guide on here, and it suggests rushing. Do I use the high level creatures in the garrison to the right of the start point, or leave them there?

Thanks ^_^

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Century » 18 Mar 2007, 16:28

Ok seriously... I've rushed this time, and I'm into the bottom area (with Red and Orange) at the beginning of the second month, just like the guide says. But still I'm outnumbered. I've got the two neutral towns to the northeast, but they can't provide much help at the moment because they are only just beginning to generate troops, and are quite far away.

Where are all these Town Portals the guide is talking about!?

I really need help :(

Edit: Ah!! I found the scroll 8) Hopefully that'll help, but I'm still hopelessly outnumbered 8(

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 20 Mar 2007, 10:17

AB's Campaigns always seemed extremely hard to me, and I never finished as well. I liked being able to choose the difficulty in SoD, and I wish that AB would have had the same.

Century
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Century » 22 Mar 2007, 19:07

dallasmavs41 wrote:AB's Campaigns always seemed extremely hard to me, and I never finished as well. I liked being able to choose the difficulty in SoD, and I wish that AB would have had the same.
Yeah, definitely. Hasn't helped me much in SoD, through :s But it really would have been nice.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 27 Mar 2007, 01:43

It helps if you train a bit in normal custom maps (i.e. Realm of Chaos) under (not so) "impossible" difficulty. I find most of the AB campaigns to be incredibly easy (except for Evil C's secret campaign). The key to victory usually involves good resource management, scouting techniques, and arrangement of logistic priorities (don't waste your movement points).

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 16 Apr 2007, 22:57

i just replayed Dragon Slayer Campaign... that one has some really nice battles in it.

On second map:
3-4 Week Tower army vs 3500 neutral Naga Queens :)

And neat last battle in 4th map:
160 Titans vs 180 Azure Dragons

Killing 2000 deferent dragons in week 4 while moving up to that last battle position was nice as well :)

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 05 Jun 2007, 15:25

For the main campaign in blade, the first two missions require early rushes. First mission, a rush immediately should be a really quick win. Don't bother the neutral towns, they have enough disabled resources that the mission should be over quickly.

the 2nd mission , you NEED to rush. On your way south in the map hit every archer/elf recruiting place and upgrade them..having an army of like 100 sharpshooters attacking opposing castles on week 1 or 2 will easily give you the map.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 05 Jun 2007, 18:21

I remember the general notice about the Dragon Slayer campaign:
The number of Nagas is not a mistake.
:)

Creative use of Force Field and Blind were a necessity.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Grail Quest
Scout
Scout

Rush rush rush

Unread postby Grail Quest » 26 Jun 2007, 20:58

I'm playing through SoD right now, and I'm starting to get bored. It's always blitz or die at the default difficulty.
If I wanted a rush game, I'd play an RTS.

And more or less starting with Sandro's maps, the playtesting is severely lacking. For example, there is one Sage that asks for 16 Halberdiers, but there is no guardhouse or Haven town on the map. Duh!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Rush rush rush

Unread postby Metathron » 26 Jun 2007, 22:04

Grail Quest wrote:I'm playing through SoD right now, and I'm starting to get bored. It's always blitz or die at the default difficulty.
If I wanted a rush game, I'd play an RTS.
I couldn't agree more, and the same goes for AB!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”