Magic Resistance

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Sep 2006, 14:03

Galactygon wrote:As for my suggestions about improving Chaos Magic:
1.) The damage for sparks, fireball, fire ring, inferno, and armageddon should be increased.
2.) Secondary effects to damage spells could be added (as in HoMM V). Fire spells might lower defense by 5% for 3 rounds, lightning spells have a chance of stunning (as a squire) for 1 round, and implosion might slow(?) the target for 1 round. These effects have a higher chance of happening with higher level heroes.

-Galactygon
That's a fine idea, but 100% Magic Resistance stops you from casting against those heroes. Like I said above, you might have a 2000-damage Disintegrate, but it'd hardly scratch a stack of 50 Hydras (armies really should be bigger than this when you have 2000-damage Disintegrate spells). Increasing the DD damage works, but as long as you can't cast against heroes your Chaos Sorcerer isn't doing much work.

I think the big problem is you not being able to cast at all. You can have a 200,000 damage Disintegrate and my Barbarian with GM Magic Resistance would still wallop you in a straight fight...

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 02 Mar 2007, 16:39

I have another idea, how about we add a magic resistance penalty of 1% for every caster level.

This means that the high-level sorceror, can simply negate the magic resistance of the enemy, beacause he's sufficiantly powerful to do so.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Mar 2007, 18:10

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote: This means that the high-level sorceror, can simply negate the magic resistance of the enemy, beacause he's sufficiantly powerful to do so.
And with that circle is closing as we are going back in 1995 when such appropach was normal, like in Master of Magic by Microprose. :D (Yes, they had system but not the catchy 3D graphics)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Galactygon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Galactygon » 12 Mar 2007, 16:10

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:I have another idea, how about we add a magic resistance penalty of 1% for every caster level.

This means that the high-level sorceror, can simply negate the magic resistance of the enemy, beacause he's sufficiantly powerful to do so.
Better yet would be increasing the hit points of the hero exponentially for each level up, using the same formula as what I proposed for spell damage (10*(HeroLevel)^(1.HeroLevel)). And then allowing Sorcery to penetrate Magic Resistance, as suggested by various other members.

-Galactygon

Le_Faucheur
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Le_Faucheur » 13 Mar 2007, 12:16

creatures should be able to kill heroes too.
(well, imagine, even black dragons would look like shit in comparison with a low level hero)

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 13 Mar 2007, 16:04

Better yet would be increasing the hit points of the hero exponentially for each level up, using the same formula as what I proposed for spell damage (10*(HeroLevel)^(1.HeroLevel)). And then allowing Sorcery to penetrate Magic Resistance, as suggested by various other members.
However, what about the other kinds of magic user than the sorcerer?

This idea would make chaos magic a must have, just for the sorcery, which would bolster the power of the other spells.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

TheUnknown
Pixie
Pixie

M R

Unread postby TheUnknown » 15 Mar 2007, 10:57

Myself also thinks that sorcery shoud negate some resistance, be it dependable on hero level or only skill level becose DD spells are the ones that lose efectiveness late game and being able to cast it only on creatures late game is not efective. Chaos is the useles school of magic late game or at least in my opinion becose every hero tends to have a combat-resistance.
Heroes aren't imune to phisical damage :)
Btw i think 1 percent per level are fair enough or 15 percents at level 5 sorcery.

pacobac
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pacobac » 15 Mar 2007, 17:29

barbarians are weak between equilibris on medium multiplayer map, if you decrease gm resistance, barbarians couldnt play, they need more magic resistance on their castle !!! (15%) on each castle

dont forgot some spell pass all time as: dispel, cancellation, displacement, steal enchantement.......and all benefic spell....

iKossu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iKossu » 21 Mar 2007, 15:26

Black Ghost wrote:In my opinoin GM MR should give 100%. It'll be real motivation to invest in MR skills.
I totally agree.
TheUnknown wrote:sorcery shoud negate some resistance
I too introduced that idea in this topic but it has a big problem:
Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:This idea would make chaos magic a must have, just for the sorcery, which would bolster the power of the other spells.
Instead the MR negating effect could be tied to classes. That might help to keep the ability just to heroes whose main skill is Chaos Magic.

Return to “Equilibris”