Worst game you have ever played

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 06 Mar 2007, 20:42

I've said this before, I'll say it again: Rise of The Robots, for the SNES.

Worst game I've ever played? No, but the worst one I actually bought. It is an abomination before the fighting game gods, basically the same to Street Fighter 3 as Daikatana is to Half-Life.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 06 Mar 2007, 21:23

That takes me way back. Did you ever play the sequal? It was really lame.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 12 Mar 2007, 08:01

I don't know, maybe Gothic 1&2 (dispite that, Gothic 3 is really good), then ANNO 1701, Nanosaur 2...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Mar 2007, 22:16

well the worst game that I never played is still Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, I imagine it will remain so forever
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 Mar 2007, 00:27

Hard to remember....maybe some strange RPG like game where you saw the whole map on my SNES emulator. Or Warlords 2 which I tried out yesterday. It sucked beyond belief....in fact, it's laughably bad!

First when you start it up there's this face with a helmet saying: "Greetings Warlord" and something else when you exit. I was on the limit of bursting out in laughter.

And the "game" itself..? I only played the shitty tutorial but it's more then enough. Moved to a ruin but they didn't attack it...just stood there....then I moved to the closest neutral castle and attacked it. A small window popped up with my units up and enemys down and some units exploded (no animations, just boom in some order. Then it said I've won and the city was mine....

I seriously can't understand how ANYONE in their right mind can enjoy such an incredibly abstract game....nothing _happens_! You don't DO anything! People that enjoy Warlords 2 should join the Dull Mens club. I would rather watch my friggin clock tick....
Last edited by Campaigner on 17 Mar 2007, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Mar 2007, 03:53

don't hold back campaigner .... :-D
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 13 Mar 2007, 19:51

I've never been that partial to Warlords 2, especially since I was introduced to the game series by excellent Warlords 2: Deluxe. Which came couple years later than original Warlords 2 anyway.
Campaigner wrote: And the "game" itself..? I only played the **** tutorial but it's more then enough. Moved to a ruin but they didn't attack it...just stood there....then I moved to the closest neutral castle and attacked it. A small window popped up with my units up and enemys down and some units exploded (no animations, just boom in some order. Then it said I've won and the city was mine....

I seriously can't understand how ANYONE in their right mind can enjoy such an incredibly abstract game....nothing "happens"!
Nothing happens says the guy who can't even figure out how to explore ruin even though tutorial explains it more than adequately. The game was made in 1993, and it's TBS (which have been in the past acronym for ugly) game; of course it didn't have fancy animations or excellent graphics. And core of the warlords is strategy not tactics, though there are little tactical element in how you arrange your fighting order and use your troops special abilities for your advantage.

Some reviews:

Review 1:

I've spent sleepless nights with this one back in 1994. All those quests...conquests...heroes... Ok, here's what it's all about - You will be given a city, a hero and a random army. Your goal - conquer all the others (maps with even 100 cities or more!) using hundreds of different units and heroes. What I always liked about this one were the special quests that could earn me magic items and other useful stuff. Who ever played this game knows how great it is.

Review 2:

Based a lot on the first game in the series Warlords 2 takes off where Warlords 1 left. It's still possible to play as 8 players and the races are also the same. A lot of new units are included as well as upgrades to the old ones. You still start the game the same way but in Warlords 2 there is now the option for almost unlimited gameplay as there are now several new scenarios included as well as the option to create random maps affected by own settings as you can decide how big a percentage that should include water, mountains etc. I really like this feature because if you want to play a scenario with a lot of sea battles or just want to use as many ships as possible you just turn up the percentage of water.

The AI has also been improved a lot and if you are looking for the ultimate challenge you should try and choose the hardest levels for all opponents. It will feel like almost playing against 7 very experienced Warlords 2 human players. Note that you can also disable opponents so if you wanted to you could play against only one other opponent. I personally think that is a bit boring since you might be placed at each side of the map and it will take a lot of time before you will meet each other. As mentioned the units have been upgraded but so has the graphics, interface (while it hasn't changed that much) and the overall speed of the game. All of them good improvements compared to the first game in the series.

A nice little detail is a guy that is featured both at the start of the game or if you are doing very well. His voice and the overall atmosphere when he appear is well done and a nice addition to the game compared to Warlords 1 that could be a bit dull once in a while. Another nice addition is that player created scenarios can be imported into the game so you could actually play the map from Warlords 1 or maps based on both Lord of the Rings and Dragonlance. If you search enough for it it's even possible to replace units with things from Star Wars if you wants to. Of course that could be a bit extreme. Finally you can save a map if you really like how it looks (only with random generated maps of course). Overall Warlords 2 is a worthy sequel offering a lot of new things but at the same type staying within the original game engine.

And from Abandonia:
Warlords 2 is a turn-based strategy game with a gameplay comparable to Battle Isle 2 or Empire Deluxe, but taking place in a fantasy world with heroes, myths and fantastic creatures.

The goal is to conquer or destroy everything on a random or a Scenario Map. Eight Races can be set up to fight each other as humans or computers. The Sirians, the Dark Elves, Stone Giants, Kingdoms, White Dwarves, Horse Tribes, Ussyrian Orcs, and the Lich King. Every Race can build standard units like Infantry, Knights, Catapults, or Elephants, but there are also race-unique units that can only be built in home towns. Compared to Warlords 1, AI has significantly improved and now allows setting up the races to a character’s behaviour, such as “fast moving, but defensive”.

Besides capturing cities and producing armies, you can summon powerful heroes. Heroes strongly improve the strength of every unit in its party depending on the hero’s experience and items collected. You will receive items by travelling around in order to search the ruins on the map. Also you can gain items and creatures by fulfilling quests to be received in temples and shrines. A blessing will improve your units’ strength once per shrine.

Warlords 2 comes up with a Tutorial and additional 5 Scenarios to the random map generator. Try using “Ctrl”, “Alt”, and “Shift” keys in order to change the mouse cursor - for easier gameplay. You should also use the relocate function in order to move the production of units into one single town, ideally next to a shrine. This way you can easily bless all the newly created units. The relocate button can be found in the town menu.

CONCLUSION:
Warlords 2 is a sophisticated, turn-based strategy battle simulation game, and maybe one of the best available. It's units are mystical and while training strong heroes, you will definitely get addicted to discovering the maps and conquering all the cities. That is why Warlords 2 has a lot of successors.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 13 Mar 2007, 22:11

Campaigner wrote:I seriously can't understand how ANYONE in their right mind can enjoy such an incredibly abstract game....nothing "happens"! You don't DO anything! People that enjoy Warlords 2 should join the Dull Mens club. I would rather watch my friggin clock tick....
i guess i have to join that club too then...

even today, i still like to play it once in a while. its a magnificent game and its a pity you dont get how the game works.

but, as it was also with civilization but here to a larger extent, moving units is really tiresome later on when you have lots of them. i have started about 50 games on warlords2, but i have finished only about 3. because it gets boring lategame. but then i just start another game, nothing to worry about.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 13 Mar 2007, 22:38

vhilhu wrote:
but, as it was also with civilization but here to a larger extent, moving units is really tiresome later on when you have lots of them. i have started about 50 games on warlords2, but i have finished only about 3. because it gets boring lategame. but then i just start another game, nothing to worry about.
Never had that particular problem. Vectoring, using guard command, "move all" command and of course moving troops in stacks helps a lot.

Only dilemma I have about finishing the scenario is the point where I know I'm going to win but it will take lots of more turns still (in larger maps). AI is decent, but nothing beats fun-factor you get for having actual human opponent.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Mar 2007, 03:37

Oooh replies, love'em :D

I moved the troops to the first temple and nothing happened. Rightclicked on every button but no explanation on figting.
Then I was going to produce some troops and accidentally bought some new ones instead....couldn't cancel the buying (oh well) and went to build things....Built some units and wanted to change the queue but wasn't able to....clicked every button including something like stop or delete but (again) nothing happens....

Got tired and moved to the first neutral castle. This place they attack (strange they didn't attack the temple before). But no view of the combat. Not even a single animation of who attacks who....

Maybe I was a little to hard in my critic but I've heard pretty good things about the Warlords franschise so I was so utterly disappointed to find out out that it was as bad as it was (for me).

Since gamesites and magazines gave good grades to HIV, how do I know that wasn't the first time they screwed up royally?

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 17 Mar 2007, 07:43

Campaigner wrote:I moved the troops to the first temple and nothing happened. Rightclicked on every button but no explanation on figting.
you are not supposed to fight in temples and ruins. in ruins, there is a chance that inside is a monster who might kill your hero(or you find gold. or you find some artifact. or you find maps. or you find monsters who will serve you. or a new ruin will be revealed on the map), but in temples, you can get quests and blessings. only an army containing a hero can explore ruins and get quests.

you can enter them via a big button with a big questionmark.
Then I was going to produce some troops and accidentally bought some new ones instead....couldn't cancel the buying (oh well) and went to build things....
you cannot cancel constructed dwellings in homm either. buying new types of creatures is quite similar to homm dwelling building, really.
Built some units and wanted to change the queue but wasn't able to....clicked every button including something like stop or delete but (again) nothing happens....
"Stop" button stops the production. clicking on some other available unit in the row starts making that unit. imo the tutorial was quite easy to understand. :|
Got tired and moved to the first neutral castle. This place they attack (strange they didn't attack the temple before). But no view of the combat.
Warlords2 has a refreshing lack of micromanagement. the stress is on diplomacy & strategy. there is no tactical combat. with tactical combat, the game would take much longer. besides, there IS battle screen. either you missed it (when attacking neutral towns, there is usually just 1 enemy unit, which makes the battle go very quickly) or your warlords2 was faulty.
Not even a single animation of who attacks who....
on battle screen, your lefternmost unit fights the enemy's lefternmost unit.

darkpriest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkpriest » 20 Mar 2007, 00:01

the worst game it has to be for me at least liquudator It looks like a washed up version(when i say washed up i mean in gameplay and graphic) of serious sam. low quality engine mixed with un-intresting weapons placed in extreamly boring and linear story with stupid AI. Complete disaster absolute piece of s***

watcher83
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby watcher83 » 12 Apr 2007, 20:42

worst game I played has to be..........dark colony
Where exactly does the rainbow end?

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”