There Goes My Hero... 1.4

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 Jan 2007, 19:46

Link to humongous picture

The cold week-end was a good opportunity for me to finish the Hammers of Fate expansion and, since the next patch is still not ready, resume my Heroes standard campaigns -- yes, I'm playing them out of sequence, but as a Dark Messiah player I'm used to time travel. The only problem was that, like several other players, I'm suffering from the Gating/Phantom Forces bug which crashes the game to the desktop whenever a cloned creature dies. And that can be a problem in the final battle of The Conquest, for instance. If you have the same problem, know that you can easily downgrade to version 1.3. Reinstall the game, download all three 50 MB patches (make sure you select the correct version, and consider putting them on a CD just in case) and apply them in order. The auto-update, which will bring you back to 1.4, and applying 1.3 over 1.4 won't work. You will need to restart your current scenario, but otherwise your campaign progress will not be lost. I can't remember having to do such a thing with another computer game, but as long as I can keep playing I don't mind too much. But I must say that I miss the hero doll, and seeing the infamous typo again is enought to bring to tears. I wish for a mod that will remove that useless message completely.

Mod Note: Try to keep down on the image size in the forums, will you :tongue:. GC

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1169495171

Skullmane
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Skullmane » 22 Jan 2007, 20:08

Uhm, there is a mod that corrects the typo...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 Jan 2007, 20:16

I kept thinking of the typo even after 1.4. I work in translation, so I take my typos very seriously as you can see. :)

TheJet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheJet » 22 Jan 2007, 21:35

I've gotten the Phantom forces issue a few times [simply because I didn't believe it could possibly be that :) ], I've also gotten the same, repeatable crash when playing with hired elementals. Specifically when the water elemental stack happened to get killed off by an Emerald Dragon in the second-last Demon campaign scenario. I got around it by simply turning on auto-save, and avoiding getting those guys killed. I also haven't used Phantom Forces, even though, up to this point, pretty much everyone has had it. I also rarely use Gating, so I guess that could be why I haven't been bitten by the bug quite so often.

It is a little frustrating to see something like that which is so easily reproduced cause such a problem :( You would think that sort of thing could easily be fixed, and that an interim patch would have been released to do so, but no such luck.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 22 Jan 2007, 21:37

Um, I would say that this news post is a sample of very diplomatic bashing... :D

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 22 Jan 2007, 23:04

Umm... not a lot of news lately right? :p

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 23 Jan 2007, 00:32

nope, not alot at all :)

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Jan 2007, 06:49

Pitsu wrote:Um, I would say that this news post is a sample of very diplomatic bashing... :D
Possibly, Angelspit is very good at this. :tongue: I could much learn from him - I usually spill out everything I mean at the particular moment.
Umm... not a lot of news lately right? :p
January is a quiet time, as usual, things might get a lot more exciting later. ;)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jan 2007, 13:23

And I like to write filler news when nothing is going on. Things would be quite boring if the front page was left without update for a whole week.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

damienhenning
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby damienhenning » 23 Jan 2007, 14:08

I think I've found a way around the gating bug with patch 1.4....I unchecked the cinematic camera option, and the game has not crashed on me since then. Hope this helps!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jan 2007, 14:36

That's interesting. I'll need to give it a try.

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 23 Jan 2007, 22:53

>And I like to write filler news when nothing is going on. Things would be quite boring if the front page was left without update for a whole week.

And that's why we all like CH so much ;). It was specially good to get some news during the period when there wasn't even a knwon future for HOMM, (even though there weren't so many news).
Edited on Tue, Jan 23 2007, 15:54 by Vitirr

Return to “News”