Worlds of M&M Coming?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Jan 2007, 14:10

<a href="/http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164472.html">GameSpot</a> came up with a very interesting rumor after spending some time on the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Here is the whole story:

<i>"The biggest of the bites came in the form of an Ubisoft application for a trademark on the phrase "Worlds of Might and Magic" in relation to online gaming services. Filed in November, the application suggests that a massively multiplayer online role-playing game based on the Might and Magic franchise might be in the cards at the French publisher.

However, when contacted, a representative for the company said he hadn't heard of it before. In addition, the phrase has actually been trademarked since 1999, when defunct publisher 3DO first filed for it, also for use in an online game. Ubisoft is the last listed owner on that trademark, which, according to the USPTO site, is still live."</i>

The name isn't as original as it used to be back in 2000 (for those of you who have been living under a rock, there is a game called Worlds of Warcraft out there) and Ubisoft's previous MMO, Shadowbane, was less than stellar, but a MMO with a Might and Magic twist is certainly something I'd want to try.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1169302241
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby arturchix » 20 Jan 2007, 14:31

Sounds like one of the possible surprises in 2007. :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jan 2007, 14:58

Worlds of Warcraft? Never heard of it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Apeman » 20 Jan 2007, 15:58

If they use the Might and Magic storyline and actual worlds this could be a great game. But I will never pay monthly subscriptions, to me that's just money down the drain.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Jan 2007, 16:57

This could very well be the name of a new series of role-playing games (with or without multiplayer), and not a MMO despite GameSpot's assumptions. "Worlds" would be used to avoid confusion with "Heroes". In my opinion that would be a better idea than calling the game "Might and Magic X".
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Justice » 20 Jan 2007, 17:37

I sertainly hope you are right.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing!
-Edmund Burke

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 20 Jan 2007, 18:54

yup... what shall we see next?

Worlds Of Half-Life
Worlds Of Age Of Empires
Worlds Of Pong

but as of MMOG, i hope they wont make a WoW clone, but i guess if they made it a cross between HOMM and WoW (basically Heroes Online, but without castles, that means you roam around with a small bunch of creatures all the time), i would play it. if done well.

Aku
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Aku » 20 Jan 2007, 19:54

Great, just another MMO-pseudoRPG crap insted of M&M X. I'm sooooooo excited I nearly lifted my middle finger.

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Vokial » 20 Jan 2007, 19:56

"Worlds Of Pong"

WoW! Good one! :P

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby King Imp » 20 Jan 2007, 20:01

They can't even get their servers to work right for Heroes and people are supposed to trust that they can get an MMO to work properly. Yeah, sure.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Jan 2007, 01:47

I will NEVER buy a MMORPG and pay to play! :flame: After paying $50 to purchase a game, paying a monthly fee for the privilege to play is downright piracy!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby JSE » 21 Jan 2007, 15:08

Developing an online title based on the Might and Magic games surely would have been a great idea back in 2000 -- when the series was still alive.

On the other hand... There are still people playing the old RPGs (at least VI to IX) and a lot of others remember them dearly (including myself). So, if Ubisoft finds a way to tie in with these games, we M&M nostalgics might get interested even in a MMORPG.

And the best way to tie in is certainly via this website:

http://www.trionworldnetwork.com/

Fabrice, Mr. Van Caneghem is working there (the one who's created the M&M and Heroes games); he's wanted to develop a M&M online game back in the nineties...

The question is: Will you be wiser than a Mr. Hawkins?

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 21 Jan 2007, 18:00

World of Might and Magic? Nice try Fabrice. Let's get Heroes right first.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 Jan 2007, 18:04

HodgePodge wrote:I will NEVER buy a MMORPG and pay to play! :flame: After paying $50 to purchase a game, paying a monthly fee for the privilege to play is downright piracy!
I'm with you completely on this one. :tsup:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Re: Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Jan 2007, 18:14

CloudRiderX wrote:World of Might and Magic? Nice try Fabrice. Let's get Heroes right first.
I'm not sure Fabrice has got anything to do with it, maybe blame Erwan LeBreton for it. :tongue: Or maybe just the whole Ubisoft marketing department. ;)

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 21 Jan 2007, 20:30

Hmmm....I don't mind mind MMORPG's, but I think I would mind a Might and Magic one. I would rather see a successful M+MX before a M+M MMO. At least then we could see if Ubisoft had a firm grip on the gameplay.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Jan 2007, 07:03

I would very much like to see Ubisoft hiring a developer like Piranha Bytes or even Bethesda Softworks to work on MM10. I even wouldn't mind any release delays, just deliver a perfect RPG in the end. It's quite a simple formula - released game with close to no bugs + PR with the reviewers + large hype = great sales = more M&M and HoMM games to follow. It seems that only companies like Blizzard, Valve and Bethesda Softworks understand it, and I wish this was the case with Ubisoft.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby Cleanpea » 23 Jan 2007, 14:07

Both morrowind and oblivion had plenty of bugs

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Worlds of M&M Coming?

Unread postby JSE » 23 Jan 2007, 14:25

Not to speak of the Gothic games (Piranha Bytes)...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Jan 2007, 14:48

That's why I said - deliver a game close to no bugs which instantly means - delays. Piranha Bytes certainly could deliver a great RPG, however the question about bugs remains.

Both Oblivion and Morrowind may have had lots of bugs, but none of them were game killing and outright breaking the game or the balance. Bethesda with patches fixed some stability issues and other minor bugs however anyone could finish without much problems even an unpatched game, which I did.

Return to “News”