Please Save Heroes V

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 Jan 2006, 02:05

Today is an important day in the history of the community. Based on their experience with the two beta test under way, <a href="/http://www.the-genies-lamp.com/">members of the <a href="/http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... mmunity</a> are suggesting that a couple of weeks will not be enough to deliver a quality Heroes of Might and Magic game. They have concerns about the balance of the game, the issues with graphics, the missing artificial intelligence, the uneven quality of the sound, and many more. A look at the beta forum will show you that, even only one day after the beginning of the tests, players are not pleased by the current state of the game. The report I posted during the week-end was optimistic, but it was based on the assumption that Ubisoft would be able to complete the game in time. Unfortunately, it seems obvious that a delay might be necessary. A petition has been started across several forums. Please take the time to tell the community what you think:

<ul>

<li><a href="/http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... 70">Heroes Community</a>

<li><a href="/http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... ">Official Forums</a>

<li>Or hit the <b>comment</b> link below, at your convenience.

</ul>

More information will become available during the next few days, and the list above will be updated once additional communities join the petition. Those of you who have been here back in 2002 remember very well the feeling we had the first time we played Heroes IV. You can help us make sure we don't go through that bad dream again. <b>Try the beta</b> as soon as it becomes available to all, <b>post your impressions</b> in the forums, <b>sign the petition</b> if you are concerned about the state of the game. Time is running out.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1138154723
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

madcat_lives
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby madcat_lives » 25 Jan 2006, 03:06

If the game is late, its better that then one with too many bugs like #4 had. I was thinking it was coming out in April. I might just be right.
Let them think they are winning, when they find out they are losing, its too late.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 25 Jan 2006, 03:58

Unfortunately, you arent... yet.

Ubisoft's fiscal year ends on March 30. If you figure that into the equation, then you get the following:

Ubi sells 250,000 copies to stores/distributors on or around March 25th, giving enough time to ship all. Gets ~$500,000. Counts in fiscal revenues.

Ubi doesnt do this, and they might get nervous about the EA takeover coming back, or simply watching their stock drop like mad. This is the biggest reason for them pushing to release the game by the 30th of March.

Now, the issues that people are seeing in the open beta are far too many to be resolved before mid march for the game to go gold. This means another H4 debacle is in the works, and it is up to us to do everything we can to prevent that.

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby socketboy » 25 Jan 2006, 04:14

Lets hope april, or later...

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Sir Charles » 25 Jan 2006, 05:09

If we can get ANY type of delay, it'll be okay. Once we get past the March 30th deadline, then the upper management won't be so pushy for the release because it'll be a new fiscal year. It's a shame that it has to all come down to the mighty buck. *sigh*
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 25 Jan 2006, 05:13

*Sigh*

Not again...
Hell has frozen over...

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 25 Jan 2006, 05:20

here's hoping production/developers wins out over sales/marketing....

grimogre
Peasant
Peasant

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby grimogre » 25 Jan 2006, 05:51

Things I can do till Heroes 5 comes out.1 Get drunk but not too drunk.I will still need a couple of brain cells.2 Play Civ 4.No turnbased tactical battles but then not every game can be as good as Heroes 5.Last but not least buy Queen of the Hood 2:)

5t14z
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby 5t14z » 25 Jan 2006, 06:08

With the same logic, they should always put games on hold until there is 1 month to the end of the fiscal year, and the sell sell sell fast. It seems that they have very narrow vision with length only one quartal.

I am lucky to work in a family company and our C.E.O says that we are all living in quartal economy, but our qartal is 25 YEARS and we are doing fine.

Sales department seems to think: Lets drive fast before we run out of gas?

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Vision » 25 Jan 2006, 06:14

That does seem to be what is going on. Of course, we are doing the fiscal stuff based on publicly available knowledge of Ubisofts fiscal info, and the Open Beta info based on... uhm... Open and Closed beta info.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Jan 2006, 06:56

5t14z wrote:With the same logic, they should always put games on hold until there is 1 month to the end of the fiscal year, and the sell sell sell fast. It seems that they have very narrow vision with length only one quartal.
Not really- but releasing the game one month before the fiscal year ends is much better than just after.

And I don't think Marketing are the bad guys this time- it's more likely upper management that needs that revenue fast. History does seem to have a way of repeating itself.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 25 Jan 2006, 07:10

I sign the petition, we don't want another half-product or Might and Magic is as good as dead - remember year 2002 and the release of HoMM4 and MM9. Therefore I'm with those who ask Ubisoft to give Nival one more additional month for the development. Please, consider what would be better - quick money and a dead franchise, or long term thinking and reborn franchise. Everything now lies on the Ubi officials - we won't forgive you if we are betrayed once again.
Last edited by arturchix on 25 Jan 2006, 07:12, edited 2 times in total.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Vlaad II » 25 Jan 2006, 07:11

Signed.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

alavris
Scout
Scout

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby alavris » 25 Jan 2006, 07:57

I agree. Give them more time.
My Heroes V map: Tales of Silentia

5t14z
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Save Heroes V

Unread postby 5t14z » 25 Jan 2006, 08:26

It seems that people responsible of the schedule of Heroes V are not playing games or at least played Heroes IV and that they have not visited even the official forums, where PLAYERS warned them, not to be hasty about releasing The Game.
How many copies HIII sold vs. HIV and do they think that selling Heroes V for one year is enough?, me thinks that if the game is good, i will play it even after Heroes VI comes out, if the game is half-baked, i continue playing Heroes III-IV (IV i still do, because of FAN made Equilibris) and wait until sum company buys Heroes brand once again and hopefully this time they do not want some quick money, instead of little less in same time, but much longer time.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 09:05

Well they did consult with the developers before giving them the deadline.Besides,they seem more focuse to the new audience that I dont think they care if HV lasts for just one year or the next 10 years.

Lomedae
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Lomedae » 25 Jan 2006, 09:21

Well I'll de-lurk for a moment here to try and give a needed (IMHO) divergent perspective.

On what basis do people think that the finished game will not be a finished product, and what qualifies them to decide?

This seems to be the justification:"he game needs to be thoroughly tested, features finalised, campaigns well made, AI improved etc. "

Nowhere in the open beta can you see the AI or campaign. So that's silly to include here, as it is impossible to have an informed opinion.

Skipping over the "testing", as that's underway now and looks to be handled as good as in any product, this leaves us with the following reasons:

"features finalized. etc." Yes, can you be _more_ vague please? If this is the reasoning power of the Heroes community then ubi/nival will not really be impressed.

The one big problem with the open beta is the conenction problems, and they seem to be ubi.com specidic. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that these can't be fixed in 2 months.

The rest of it is uninformed panickmongering.
Edited on Wed, Jan 25 2006, 02:22 by Lomedae

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Jan 2006, 09:24

Signed.

I fear the worst, I dont want another Heroes game suffering the lack of A.I the game as H4 did. Give the game ENOUGH time!!!!!!! Please delay the game as much as possible to correct the flaws as bad bugs, lack of A.I, balance and other issues.

I dont care if the game ships late until may, juni, juli etc

Make H5 as great as possible, I dont want a patch game, a great game is a game that dont need any or at least very few patches.

I hope they dont force H5 to be shipped to early as alot of many other games have, like Kotor 2, Fable, H4 etc they have suffered alot, thanks to unhappy fans finding serious flaws as cutted game content, bugs and crashes. The two latter may be fixed by patches, but patches should be uneccessary.

*I know money is very important to you Ubi and Nival, it is but not at the expense of fans!!! Use the correct tactic to earn money. A bad, finished game may sell alot in the beginning of the campaign to unknown fans which are so busy with getting their hands on without noticing the games flaws but arent worth a thing in the lenght, you folks lose money on that unless the fans still buys the game as zombies even after the flaws of the game have been noiced at a huge scale in most game communities. And dont let it come to that point, that is dirty, unhonest, bad marketing tactics.

So I hope they take the time to LISTEN to the fans, kill all possible flaws that can be found before the game ships. And try not to cut content, its like a missing link, beer without alchohol or a person without a limb! *sigh*
Edited on Wed, Jan 25 2006, 06:44 by Orfinn

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby reynaert » 25 Jan 2006, 09:31

Can't we spread the word to financial insiders- trying to get panic reports so the stockprice will drop unless they /don't/ release the game?
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 09:35

reynaert wrote:Can't we spread the word to financial insiders- trying to get panic reports so the stockprice will drop unless they /don't/ release the game?
Oh come on,grow up!It is just a game!Is it worth destroying lives of millions of people over a computer game?It is there for fun,dont take it to seriously

Return to “News”