H3 (WoG)- Landscaping and Artifact Placement

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

H3 (WoG)- Landscaping and Artifact Placement

Unread postby Bethel » 24 Dec 2006, 01:44

1) Is there anyway to paint a landscape other than to individually place all trees, mountains, flowers, etc (although perhaps if I just place brush dots and work with that - okay, that should take care of landscaping) but what about resources, artifacts, etc - is it possible to highlight an area and have the computer place items as it does 'defects'?

2) When I try to place WoG artifacts, my map crashes everytime. Most of the time all I have to do is place my cursor over the WoG artifacts in the selection screen to have this happen. I have the latest script updates, but it was happening before the update as well. This only seems to happen when I have the map selected for WoG, which is the only way to get them highlighted.

Thanks bunches!

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 24 Dec 2006, 03:38

Do you have the latest WoG Map Editor? Grayface has done much to improve it. You can now make a random WoG map from the WoG Map Editor. In the past it would crash, normally, but no more. He has also added the feature that allows you to turn any object into whatever you want. If you have ever played Slavas' map "Rush - HoMM Unlimited" then you know what I'm talking about. (Turning a rock into a town, or a bush into a treasure chest, etc.)
If you don't have the latest WoG Map Editor, then you should get it. And it can be found on the WoG Map Archives site.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/wak ... aparchive/

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 24 Dec 2006, 04:13

Is this also available at the WoG site? I don't see any option to update the map editor. I checked my directory, and it looks like I have the one from 9/2001.

I've updated to 3.58f and have updated to the newest scripts, but it doesn't look like the maped got touched.

And the site you referred me to tells me my name is already taken, but there's no sign-in that I saw. (Perhaps I'm just missing it.)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 24 Dec 2006, 16:16

As far as I know it is not available on the WoG site yet. You will have to join the WoG Archive site to get the updated WoG Editor. If someone else has your name that you use, you can always alter your name somehow to your taste to get in.

Once you have joined, you go to the far left and look for Files. Click that, and go way down the list of maps and you'll eventually see the file for the WoG Map Editor. It was uploaded by Grayface and this was done in 2006, so the version you have is not the correct one. Look for the latest version uploaded by him.

It may still need some minor adjustments to it, and Grayface always seems to upgrade it when time permits him to do so. But it is a vast improvement over what we had before, as you well know. For my tastes, it works very well and I've had others say so too.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 24 Dec 2006, 17:41

This is really irritating - I've tried about 5 different names, of which I'm sure at least one is unique, and it keeps telling me that they are all taken and I need to put a number after them.

Is there some criteria for entering a name that the site doesn't clarify?
Otherwise, is there *any* other place/way I can get this updated editor?

I'm about ready to forget the whole thing. :mad:

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 24 Dec 2006, 17:47

I'll email you the file then. Along with some instructons. Contact me at lightmage55@yahoo.com

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 24 Dec 2006, 17:57

Mail has been sent. :D

Woot! I'm a Super Peasant now - Cool!

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 24 Dec 2006, 18:24

File(s) are on the way. Good luck.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”