Favourite Soundtrack

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which composition you like the most?

H1
4%
HII
40%
HIII
20%
HIV
27%
HV
9%

Total votes: 45

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Favourite Soundtrack

Unread postby Akul » 10 Dec 2006, 12:57

Which HoMM soundtrack you like the most?
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 10 Dec 2006, 13:48

I like them all (even the H5 one), but I voted for the H4 soundtrack. H4 has the best menu music (vanilla H4 that is), best adventure map music, and the best combat music (IMO). The only track I didn't like from H4 was the Life/Haven theme.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 10 Dec 2006, 14:53

I also voted for the H4 one. Almost every sound in it gives me a feeling as if I am in some myth.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Dec 2006, 15:03

Tough choice...I played HIII for so long,yet I had HII complete music on my hard(until it disappeared :( ),so I like them both very much.HIV Im not so keen about.In fact,after the annoying main menu music,I decided to completelly shut it down and use my music instead.HV is nice,but still trailing behind the HII and HIII.HI I never heard :( I wont vote before I decide between HII and HIII.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 10 Dec 2006, 15:04

H4 hands down. H3 is good, but it doesn't work on its own and can't really sustain repeated listens. The same is pretty much true for H5, with the added insult that I bought the collector's edition for the soundtrack (I never expected to actually play the game) which wasn't included. H2 has the opera which I can't stand.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 10 Dec 2006, 15:07

H3 for me. The themes are extremely well suited for the towns and capture the atmosphere really nicely. My favourite of those is Tower. H4 is on second place.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Dec 2006, 15:19

I adore the HoMM 4 music, it really puts you in the mood for adventure and some of it has an actual dream-like quality. I especially love the themes associated with the grass terrain and that of the beach and sea. Kudos to whoever was responsible for that!

Second would be HoMM 2 with its operatic music, which by the way I haven't heard in years (I guess coinciding with the installation of Windoze XP), but hey, even the midi is fine enough.

HoMM 3 comes in third and is also very good. I haven't played it in quite some while, but the themes that come to mind are Rampart and Necropolis.

I don't think I've ever heard HoMM 1 music, and HoMM 5 music is okay, if rather run-of-the-mill.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 10 Dec 2006, 23:55

It's very hard to choose.

I think I'd have to go for HIV in the end for the ensemble greatness (there is not a thing I dislike about it). But on the other hand I love the HII and HIII ones to bits, the former especially for the brilliant town themes (not least the Sorceress Town one, which is one of the greatest ever) and the latter for it's terrain music which provided such excellent atmosphere. I re-listen to all of them regularly (I have all the MP3s thanks to the Heroes Platinum wassname and of course my HIV copy from which I pulled the music) and absolutely love 'em.

I also have the HV music which has some excellent themes (credits, Haven, main menu, the Wizard town one), but alas there are a few misses. I appreciate what the guys tried to do (adding more thematic ideas across the board) but I think in the end it didn't quite cut it. I hope they can return to greatness with a new installment. When I played HV I did a cunning thing with replacing the standard tracks I didn't like with ones from H2,3 and 4.

(If anyone is interested I took the Sorceress and Necromancer tunes from H2 and put them in the respective towns, I took the H3 terrains (bar grass) and put them in the respective terrains, I took the H4 grass theme, the H4 Asylum theme (for the Dark elf town, which really fit!) and the waiting-turn music from all three)

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 11 Dec 2006, 01:56

H2 music has to get my vote. I just love the themes and all the different sounds...But H3 would have to be a very close second, IMO...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Dec 2006, 02:05

Finally decided to vote for HII,mostly due to nostalgia.Even though HIII is the only game I played repeatedly and didnt use my music at any point.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 11 Dec 2006, 09:25

Tough choice, but in the end I must say Heroes II. To remember the music from a game I last played years ago is no mean feat.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 12 Dec 2006, 12:39

Easy choice for me. Its H4. On second place H2.

And I still cant understand how same person could write sh*t that called music in H5.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Dec 2006, 14:26

Heroes IV for me too. That mellow and somewhat sad adventure map theme seemed very appropriate for the era, when New World Computing was dying and the series soon going to sleep for a long while.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 12 Dec 2006, 14:46

The original Heroes II soundtrack, hands down.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 12 Dec 2006, 23:21

Vote Heroes III
Since it was done with mp3s (and I didn't have to decompile/recompile anything), I knew I would like every track since I was the one who put it there.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 14 Dec 2006, 15:35

H2 has the best town themes of any other homm. H4 has the best adventure themes. Combat themes in homm don't really stand out to me. All in all, the opera in H2 can't be beat, so that is my favorite soundtrack. I would have liked for them to use the same style of vocals from H2 with the other homm games.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Dec 2006, 20:07

Heroes 2. There's really no contest in this one for me.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 17 Dec 2006, 22:06

mr.hackcrag wrote:H2 has the best town themes of any other homm. H4 has the best adventure themes.
Aptly put. I've voted for HoMM IV, but it's actually more of a tie between it and HoMM II. I guess that's because I haven't played the latter in such a long time.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 18 Dec 2006, 05:23

Voted for H2. The opening music comes to mind whenever someone mentions HoMM to me. It's really the simpilest tune of any PC game and the simpilest tunes stay in your head.

Lord of Winter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord of Winter » 18 Dec 2006, 13:36

Voted H2. I love that epic grass-terrain music, some of the town themes are just excellent (especially necro theme in midi) and there are other fantastic musical scores too, for example beach/water theme and the opening theme.

Other games have great masterpieces too, like town themes from HoMM1 and grass theme(s) from HoMM4.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”