Should towers be controllable by the player?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 63

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 01 Dec 2006, 00:08

Back in Heroes 3, if you had the ability to control the ballista, you could also control your castle's towers. However, in Heroes V, this ability has been taken away. Do you think that towers should be controllable in Heroes V?

I'll start this one off with my own opinion:
I think you should be able to control your towers because you, as a human player, will be able to make a better decision on how to attack. Towers in Heroes V are REALLY irritating, sometimes attacking melee units even while there is a strong ranged stack.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 01 Dec 2006, 00:38

of course they shoud be

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 01 Dec 2006, 00:50

I would say you should be able to control the towers IF you have the right set of skills. I would say that having the War Machines skill in general should allow you to control the towers. [Perhaps you can control more towers or do extra damage w/ higher skill???]

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 01 Dec 2006, 00:58

Alamar wrote:I would say you should be able to control the towers IF you have the right set of skills. I would say that having the War Machines skill in general should allow you to control the towers. [Perhaps you can control more towers or do extra damage w/ higher skill???]
What Alamar said. I voted yes.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 01 Dec 2006, 01:07

Alamar wrote:I would say you should be able to control the towers IF you have the right set of skills. I would say that having the War Machines skill in general should allow you to control the towers. [Perhaps you can control more towers or do extra damage w/ higher skill???]
What I would say. Higher Warmachines skill = more damage.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 01 Dec 2006, 03:03

I voted yes as well. It just doesn't make sense for the player to control everything except the towers.

While it's not part of the poll, I get the Artillery skill to control the ballista, not the towers. You don't defend that often in castle sieges, so the impact generally goes unnoticed. I take that back - maybe you'll need it against H5's cheating computer opponents. :D

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 01 Dec 2006, 04:14

I vote yes, but why would one need war machines to be able to control the towers? It's your town, you know it inside-out and you should be able to tell the soldiers up there to do what you want.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 01 Dec 2006, 04:47

I voted yes. I do think skills should be required (to know more about the operation and to be able to lead them correctly) but any of the below should allow it.

Basic War Machines.
Archery
Basic leadership

Any of the above would make sense as to leading the towers shooters, and I am sure I am missing a few.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Dec 2006, 05:06

I think so as well, cause having a commander (hero) with the required skill, it would make sense that the towers follow his/her directions as well
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Dec 2006, 08:08

Vote yes. I don't care much either way about the exakt pre-reqs, be they none, certains skill(s), or a certain level.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Dec 2006, 08:24

Voted yes,but I think they should work like in HIV.I always hated those free archers.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 01 Dec 2006, 11:55

I would be happy if they just made the towers cleverer. Same with the computer-controlled ballista. I hate it when my ballista decides to shoot succubus mistresses for about 10 damage, and I lose a ton of units on the counterstrike.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 01 Dec 2006, 12:00

wow Mytical you're a Dragon now... 1459 posts... and when I joined this forum you were only 100 post ahead of me or so....
You are really dedicated to this community :)

way to go! :D

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 01 Dec 2006, 13:01

voted yes
eeum what about defense or.... tactics, leadership is also nice
not war machines, there aren't ballista's up there :(
would be nice with tripple imbu'd ballista with meteor shower :devil:
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Najibarr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Najibarr » 01 Dec 2006, 14:32

Well in h3 they added that option since you couldn't use the ballista when defending in siege so you were disadvantaged but now you've got your friend with you (the ballista). Therefore so i can't see what would be the point of changing the way it is apart the fact that its shooting anything but what you want and you are angry about it.

For sure it doesn't help but can't the ballista do a lot of damage right now (make some time since I've played but i remember the ballista to do like 3 shots of like 200 when you've got triple ballista and a good hero). Guess the next thing you'd ask would be to increase the tower damage like in WoG.

I think they just choose what was the best compromise. Or you don't have the ballista and you can control the towers and you loose opportunity to do a lot more damage or you have a human (with right skill) controlled ballista that can make a lot of damage and some stupid AI controlled tower.

So i voted No.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 01 Dec 2006, 15:09

Campaigner wrote:
What I would say. Higher Warmachines skill = more damage.
imo it would be nice too. voted yes. too bad the "yes with prequisite" option isnt there.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 01 Dec 2006, 15:12

Voted yes. Is something I really enjoy in Heroes 3. I agree it should be a function of war machines somehow.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 01 Dec 2006, 16:57

Najibarr wrote:Therefore so i can't see what would be the point of changing the way it is apart the fact that its shooting anything but what you want and you are angry about it.
And that isn’t reason enough? The idiotic AI controlling them nulls any defensive tactical advantage the towers give as often as not. If you’re in the castle of a siege you SHOULD get a defensive advantage, otherwise there isn’t much point in fighting in the castle rather than coming out instead. Moreover you shelled out the gold for those towers; you should get some use of them as something other than another target for the enemy catapult.

Needless to say, voted “Yes”.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Dec 2006, 17:26

Najibarr wrote:Therefore so i can't see what would be the point of changing the way it is apart the fact that its shooting anything but what you want and you are angry about it.
So there's no reason to change it other that it's rather useless?! Yup, great point there.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 01 Dec 2006, 18:07

Voted yes, of course. This is one of the most annoying things in the game.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”