Sorceress Special Ability

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Sorceress Special Ability

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 29 Nov 2006, 19:38

Is there any way that I can change the sorceress offensive spell casting ability so that it's set at a fixed rate of 20%?

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Sorceress Special Ability

Unread postby Fnord » 29 Nov 2006, 23:41

mr.hackcrag wrote:Is there any way that I can change the sorceress offensive spell casting ability so that it's set at a fixed rate of 20%?
No, it's set in the executable so there's no way to change it through ERM or option files or anything like that.
- Fnord

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 02 Dec 2006, 12:39

How come the AI never attacks the sorceress in combat. All they ever do is move one of their units next to her in order to intercept her attack. And even then, it's a very low priority. For example, the AI would rather attack my catapault or first aid tent rather than deal with the sorceress.

Arkas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arkas » 03 Dec 2006, 02:09

Well, I beleive AI Value in CRTRAITS.TXT is how the AI determines whether or not to use the particular creature, so perhaps it has something to do with Fight Value in the same file.

I'm sure the AI takes special abilities and creature level into account as well. It's quite possible that blocking the ranged spellcaster is considered adequate enough of a response while persuing more dangerous threats.
It's also highly possible that the AI doesn't consider the sorceress to be anything other than a level 4 ranged unit.

AI is a complicated thing to code, even when you have full source code. Modifying it via HEX and Assembly instructions with only a debugger for company is probably a daunting task. I'm pleasantly surprised at what little AI customization the ERM allows at this point.

EDIT: The best I can figure, they go after the first aid tent because it's capable of healing your troops which makes it a threat. They go after the catapult because it's capable of destroying castle walls. Allowing the catapult outside of seiges likely has the AI confused.

Neither are bad stratgies for the AI though. "Kill the Healer" is a common and successfull tactic in just about any game. The catapult thing doesn't make much sense though, it's rare that they ever manage to destroy my catapult before a wall is down.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Dec 2006, 06:26

Arkas wrote:Well, I beleive AI Value in CRTRAITS.TXT is how the AI determines whether or not to use the particular creature, so perhaps it has something to do with Fight Value in the same file.
Yup, I changed the values and now the AI doesn't act so dumb.
I'm sure the AI takes special abilities and creature level into account as well. It's quite possible that blocking the ranged spellcaster is considered adequate enough of a response while persuing more dangerous threats.

The best I can figure, they go after the first aid tent because it's capable of healing your troops which makes it a threat. They go after the catapult because it's capable of destroying castle walls.

Um, the AI attacked my first aid tent with 42 mighty gorgons when all I had left on the field was 23 sorceress. What was even more funny is when 6 chaos hydras moved back into the castle to protect 3 lizardmen, instead of finishing me off.
Allowing the catapult outside of seiges likely has the AI confused.
You can allow a catapault outside of sieges!? 8| Now I've heard everything.
Neither are bad stratgies for the AI though. "Kill the Healer" is a common and successfull tactic in just about any game.
But in homm, the tent plays a pretty insignificant role. It's rarely worth wasting an attack on imo.

Arkas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arkas » 03 Dec 2006, 07:14

You can allow a catapault outside of sieges!? Now I've heard everything.
There's a wog script I usually have enabled that allows you to use the catapult like a ballista. I think it's one of the War Machine enhancement scripts, but it could be a different script I can't look for sure right now.
Um, the AI attacked my first aid tent with 42 mighty gorgons when all I had left on the field was 23 sorceress. What was even more funny is when 6 chaos hydras moved back into the castle to protect 3 lizardmen, instead of finishing me off.
I didn't say the AI was a genious. I just speculated it's motives.
But in homm, the tent plays a pretty insignificant role. It's rarely worth wasting an attack on imo.
That might be so, but I'm sure it wasn't originally intended that way, and the AI was probably set to go after it in order to stop the healing. Also, several wog scripts/feature do increase the potential of that tent quite a bit. It's still no Archangel or Expert Cure/ressurection, but it is at least helpful.

Return to “Wake of Gods”