Conceptiually best heroes game?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which is the conceptually best Heroes game?

Heroes I
2%
Heroes II
27%
Heroes III
28%
Heroes IV
38%
Heroes V
5%

Total votes: 93

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 27 Nov 2006, 11:38

Mace the Councillor wrote:WOW, I didn't realize Heroes IV was this popular. Many people seemed negative to it, in its day. Well, I always thought it was a pretty good game, with a few small exceptions. Removing creature upgrades was a bad idea, IMO, just like a few other things. But overall, a very good game. Heroes III was always y favorite, though.
CH and Round Table regulars loves h4,same poll on other boards would give different results
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Nov 2006, 14:39

Mace the Councillor wrote:Removing creature upgrades was a bad idea, IMO, just like a few other things.
I thought it was a brilliant idea. I strongly disliked the obligatory upgrade of every creature in HoMM 3 (and now 5) because it seemed so random, dull and posed the question: why use the unupgraded version of the creature at all, if it's lacking compared to its upgrade? If there was some notable difference between the two, i.e. both having some sort of unique characteristic/bonus, I'd be all for it. If there have to be random upgrades, I prefer the H2 way.

And when it comes to HoMM IV creatures, what exactly are you missing from their stats that would make you want for upgrades? They are pretty much upgraded versions, if you take my meaning.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Nov 2006, 15:03

The upgrades in HII were nice.HIII ruined it by making them obligatory,and cutting down the cost of uprading units that you already bought.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 27 Nov 2006, 15:22

igoraki wrote:CH and Round Table regulars loves h4,same poll on other boards would give different results
i gotta agree with that. almost all HC regulars hate h4, it seems.

but imo h4 shouldnt win for putting demons and undead together. 2 completely unique factions with unique story and gameplay, but they just had to put them together. blasphemy.

h2 upg system ruled imo too.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Nov 2006, 16:17

vhilhu wrote: but imo h4 shouldnt win for putting demons and undead together. 2 completely unique factions with unique story and gameplay, but they just had to put them together. blasphemy.
You know,holly word now works on undead and demons toghether,effectivelly tieng the two races againg :devious: (my work here is done.So long HV)

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 27 Nov 2006, 17:11

vhilhu wrote:but imo h4 shouldnt win for putting demons and undead together. 2 completely unique factions with unique story and gameplay, but they just had to put them together. blasphemy.
Agreed. I never saw how the undead and infernal factions fit together in the one and same faction.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Nov 2006, 17:47

igoraki wrote: CH and Round Table regulars loves h4,same poll on other boards would give different results
Thats because we are the only true fans :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2006, 17:54

Mace the Councillor wrote: Agreed. I never saw how the undead and infernal factions fit together in the one and same faction.
REally? coz last i heard necromancy was considered a demonic sorcery.
However, since the Middle Ages, necromancy has come to be associated more broadly with Earth Magic, or "Terra Magiks" and demon-summoning in general,
In fantasy and horror fiction, necromancers are often considered evil wizards and are sometimes said to have sold their soul to a demon or the Devil himself – to worship demons and evil gods – or to have been otherwise tainted by their evil practices.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 27 Nov 2006, 18:20

I don't see a problem with Necro+Inferno. They represent the enemies to the HOLY wariors and could be called UNHOLY legion.
Even the lore fits as demons lost almost all their morales when Catherine desecrated their homeland and their "mighty" empire in not to much time.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 27 Nov 2006, 18:40

thats almost the same as putting tower/academy and rampart/preserve/sylvan together. both are ALLIES of the HOLY legion.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2006, 18:52

Have you ppl read what i posted?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 27 Nov 2006, 18:56

vhilhu wrote:thats almost the same as putting tower/academy and rampart/preserve/sylvan together. both are ALLIES of the HOLY legion.
Allies? Yes. Fanatical worshipers of God and Angels? No way.

Looking at religion (as in H4), Church found both Undead and Demons Satans creation.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 27 Nov 2006, 19:01

Sauron wrote:Looking at religion (as in H4), Church found both Undead and Demons Satans creation.
now sue me, but... i have really never heard of church seriously talking about undead, it was declared superstition imo.

@TT, Gaudolth was also a nature scholar, that doesnt mean Nature and Death should be together in 1 faction?

and besides, imo there are enough demon&undead creatures to fill up 2 towns. you cant say that about h5 dwarfs, for example, with that concept they could have made only 3 units without making it repetitive. but imo necropol has never been too repeptitive with its tier concepts.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 27 Nov 2006, 19:17

I suspect anybody in middle-ages knew what word undead meant. For Chucrch, only Satan can (or God, but not in undead way) can ressurect the dead.

What does Gauldoth have to do with the real word?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2006, 20:02

Sauron wrote:For Chucrch, only Satan can (or God, but not in undead way) can ressurect the dead.
Actualy Satan can't, that's why the undead were bad and Lazarus wasn't.

@vilhu
What does that have to do with the fact that Necromancy is demonic?!

I didn't like the Demons in the Death town either, but saying that they don't fit together when they're both connected to death (hell is where souls go after all) is stupid.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 27 Nov 2006, 20:31

i meant that if you start to put things together just by how evil it is, youll finally get 2 factions: the Good faction(knights, elves, wizards) and the Evil faction(necros, demons, warlocks, barbars). now with 2 factions it would be boring.

and why are inferno and necro so different? (now about fantasy only, because in real mythology all factions would be completely mixed up anyway) their anatomy and colour, and other such attributes. undead have bones, decayed flesh and transparent stuff, demons usually have horns and red or orange skin, bat wings etc.

you could also say orcs are entirely death-aligned. Tolkien took the word "orc" probably from Orcus, which is about Hades in roman(so Tolkien meant orcs as demons, and in LotR they arent exactly the wild nomad nation they are in wc3). so maybe orc should have been in h4 infenopolis too? but nay, in todays fantasy orcs, undead and demon have become nicely distinct themes with different attributes and i dont see anything wrong with it, as each is quite unique.

---

about Gaudolth, i meant that you quoted also "fantasy and horror fiction", under which Gaudolth certainly belongs.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2006, 20:51

Actualy it seems he took it from a description of Grendel in Beowulf. But they weren't demons, the fallen Maiar we're. And they we're certainly not afterlife related, they we're as much material plane beings as humans.

And it wasn't about how evil they are (and you forgot the Neutral faction) but how necromancy is a demonic school of magic. As far as that went it made sense.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Nov 2006, 21:06

ThunderTitan wrote:Have you ppl read what i posted?
No one reads you,you know that :devious:
ThunderTitan wrote: I didn't like the Demons in the Death town either, but saying that they don't fit together when they're both connected to death (hell is where souls go after all) is stupid.
Not in heroes.Aliens from another world,remember?Well,at least before HV.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Nov 2006, 21:14

I never saw a problem with the undead and demonic 'races' sharing a faction. What is more, I much prefer it this way than the tepid Inferno of HoMM 3, and H4 enables you to make various choices, e.g. you can go the undead way (ghost, vampire, bone dragon) or the demonic way (cerberi, venom spawn, devil) or mix 'em up.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Nov 2006, 21:43

DaemianLucifer wrote: Not in heroes.Aliens from another world,remember?
Weren't they actualy servant of the aliens or something (as i recal the aliens we're insect-like)?! And seeing how the gods we're aliens too it's close enough...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”