Conceptiually best heroes game?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which is the conceptually best Heroes game?

Heroes I
2%
Heroes II
27%
Heroes III
28%
Heroes IV
38%
Heroes V
5%

Total votes: 93

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Conceptiually best heroes game?

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 20 Nov 2006, 18:11

Hi!

I'd just like to ask everybody which Heroes of Might & Magic game they think is the best conceptually. Which has the best designed factions when it comes to uniqueness and following the given theme. Which has the most interesting ideas for faction themes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Nov 2006, 18:19

HII for me.Each faction was trully unique,not just in looks of its creatures but in how it plays as well.Id voted HIV if not for the infernopollis.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Nov 2006, 18:20

II is the way to go.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 20 Nov 2006, 18:29

I voted Heroes III, myself. I suppose I got into the Heroes series a bit too late (fall 1999, after the release of Heroes III) to ever fully appreciate Heroes II.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 20 Nov 2006, 18:29

Heroes 2 was simply awesome for it's time. It was definately a great challenge.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Nov 2006, 18:48

If we're just talking town design, H2 all the way. If we talk overall game design, I'd frankly be at a loss as to what to vote for, but probably H4 (H2 is missing stuff like wait button, H3 was great when I got it but both H4 and H5 ahas improved over it. H5 is very good in some areas but worse in others. In H4, there's very little I find detracting)
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 20 Nov 2006, 18:48

h3.

if h2 would have had got mighty_moo / dragonfly / lizardman town, i would have voted h2.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 20 Nov 2006, 19:28

As far as concept goes, Heroes IV without a doubt. Too bad the actual execution of the superior concept was so poor.

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 20 Nov 2006, 19:52

3 or 4, 3 or 4? I don't know, they're both gr8. :scared: :libra:
H2 i got after playing alot with 3 & 4 so although nice will never be my favourite..

H3 was te game that really got me in the serires so i'll have to go with it.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 Nov 2006, 20:48

Has to be HoMM IV, though the execution is lacking in some areas (but I certainly wouldn't call it smack down poor).

The fact that you were presented with a choice as to which creature dwellings to build (levels 2-4) imbued the game with almost endless diversity and replayability. Sure enough, some choices were badly balanced and obviously no-brainers, but luckily the equilibris mod dealt away with some of those (the only creature I still always choose is the cyclops over the ogre magi, not because equilibris ogres would suck so bad, it's just that the cyclops are so good).

The magic system of HoMM IV was, in my opinion, just awesome and provided loads of tactical possibilities. And even the spell descriptions themselves were smart and fun to read.

Then there was the caravan, the fact that creatures accumulated in dwellings, the new battlefield (which I learned to love after taking some time), and about a dozen other peculiarities that contributed to this title being the most conceptually innovative and ground breaking.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 20 Nov 2006, 21:00

Homm4 for many of the same reasons Metathron listed.

I also prefer the faction specific magic schools approach of HOMM4 and killable heroes on the battlefield.

It was also possible to make neutral heroes in the map editor and an unlimited number of new heroes, something HOMM5 does not offer unfortunately.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 21 Nov 2006, 10:30

Talking about factions:

H3 had most factions but they seemed to be nothing more but a bunch of different creatures and hero class names.

In H4 factions are more complex and magic schols, the fact that every class is different, leveling system depends on heroes faction... It got my vote for complexity.

H5 factions are less complex then H4, but are perhaps more diverse. Every faction feels as if gameplay is different and no faction is similiar to one another. If magic was a little bit more faction-specific, it would get my vote (well, I am a mad wizard).
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 21 Nov 2006, 11:42

For me it is Heroes V. Of course the game has flaws, but on the side of game design it's the one I like the most. Heroes II comes close behind, followed by Heroes IV, then III.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Nov 2006, 01:29

just got to be HII for me, with HIV as a very close second due to some of the more novel ideas it had
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Nov 2006, 19:43

Marzhin wrote:but on the side of game design it's the one I like the most.
What exactly do you like so much?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 23 Nov 2006, 00:17

heroes 4 for me... followed by 5

george137
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby george137 » 26 Nov 2006, 01:00

Heroes IV for the same reason as metathrone, and the added RPG elements of the game.

Graiskye
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graiskye » 26 Nov 2006, 22:34

Just an observation from a newcomer to the franchise... Anyone else notice, or find it strange that HeroesIV seems to get the nod as being the, 'conceptually', most interesting Heroes. It also seems, judging from other posts/boards,too get slammed as being the worst Heroes.
Just an interesting observation ! It seems that after giving it a proper chance most hard core players give IV its props,I guess change is hard !
I have just started too play HIV, and it seems a pretty good game to me, but Im a newcomer like I said, so I have no preconcieved 'notion' of what it should be like. I bought Heroes V too start but it wouldnt run on my old Nvid card, so I took it back and got IV, and have been having much fun with it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Nov 2006, 22:39

Well HIV had lots of problems with stability and balance,but thats not why many fans disliked it.Its because lots of things changed.Although,many of those were pretty good changes,and if they got implemented better,the game would be an amazing hit.

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 27 Nov 2006, 11:26

WOW, I didn't realize Heroes IV was this popular. Many people seemed negative to it, in its day. Well, I always thought it was a pretty good game, with a few small exceptions. Removing creature upgrades was a bad idea, IMO, just like a few other things. But overall, a very good game. Heroes III was always y favorite, though.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”