Patch 1.4 removes objects from editor - how to get them back

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Patch 1.4 removes objects from editor - how to get them back

Unread postby myythryyn » 09 Nov 2006, 21:15

if you download the latest patch and open the editor, youll find all the arena and conquest items have been removed from the editor.

there are so many interesting and unique buildings in the "arena" section of objects, i used those items alot and in every map ive made.
and im not the only one who uses those items.

sure, the objects had no properties, but these objects added alot of personality to maps. As well the snow covered mountain peaks in the "conquest" section is gone.
i am very very upset and dissapointed these objects are gone.

if anyone communicates with nival in anyway, please let them know how much map makers used and liked those items.
these objects will be greatly missed.
no more academy buildings in the desert, no more towers, no more dark elf dungeon statues, or big lava demon, no more unique walls, everything in the "arena", "conquest", and "dialogue" sections have been removed.

these objects need to be returned to the editor.
even though there is a way to edit the game files and get the objects back, they should still be part of the standard editor.
Last edited by myythryyn on 10 Nov 2006, 06:21, edited 3 times in total.

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 09 Nov 2006, 22:01

Are those the "improvements" of the map editor? :|

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 09 Nov 2006, 23:54

now that ive had some time to calm down, im still very annoyed that Nival has removed all the arena objects. I used those objects as decoration in all the maps ive made so far.
there is absolutely no reason for nival to remove those objects.

from i read the arena objects are old remnants of something nival didnt complete, or decide to put in the final version.
but those objects ended up in the editor, and they have been used by map makers in the majority of maps.
now they have taken them away, and we know what is missing.

its going to take alot of players to let nival know that we want them back, they do listen...sometimes....so please respond to this post to show how many players want them back.
Last edited by myythryyn on 10 Nov 2006, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 10 Nov 2006, 00:00

Perhaps you can simulate those objects. Just add another static object in the map and try to change the 3D model. The model of the arena and conquest objects might still be there.

There might be a way to make two installations of the game too. One to use the 1.3 map editor and another to play (and use the 1.4 editor when needed).

This doesn't change the fact that I completely agree with you.

Najibarr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Najibarr » 10 Nov 2006, 00:25

Just go to your h5/editor directory and exchange MapFilters_1.4.xml and MapFilters.xml (1.3 one) so you'll have everything you had before (even those you added yourself like snow objects for example). The directories references are the same so you'll have all the "new" stuff too.

You can do that for every file you edited in that directory.

Btw as i said in the Elrath forum (I'm called Neckie there)
you can use some new feature like undo/redo and game database by editing your editor.cfg file in h5/profiles directory. Just change setvar map_editor_mode = 1 with setvar map_editor_mode = 2 (or anything else)

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 10 Nov 2006, 01:34

Najibarr wrote:Just go to your h5/editor directory and exchange MapFilters_1.4.xml and MapFilters.xml (1.3 one) so you'll have everything you had before (even those you added yourself like snow objects for example). The directories references are the same so you'll have all the "new" stuff too.
so there is a way for us to replace those removed objects?
ok this is a new idea to me, and im sure alot of map makers will want to do this, so ill go over it step by step.

- first, uninstall HOMM V and patch 1.4 (unless you didnt patch yet)
- then install again, but patch only up to 1.3
- then locate the mapfilters.xml file in the H5/editor directory and copy the file and place on desktop, or whereever.
- then patch the game up to 1.4, then paste the 1.3 mapfilters.xml file on top of the new map filters.xml file.
- then you rename the above newly pasted file that contains the 1.3 data. you have to change the filename from mapfilter.xml, to mapfilters_1.4.xml

after this, you will have all the arena, and other removed objects back in your editor menu or placeable objects, plus you will have all the new items and features, and this wont cause any incompatibility issues, or at least we hope :)

Najibarr wrote:you can use some new feature like undo/redo and game database by editing your editor.cfg file in h5/profiles directory. Just change setvar map_editor_mode = 1 with setvar map_editor_mode = 2 (or anything else)
you are saying there is an undo/redo feature? i checked the new 1.4 editor, and there was no such feature that i could see.
is there a mod with this feature?
could you provide the link to the post you are mentioning on the elrath forums?

ok thxs again for your help, i still cant believe nival would remove these objects, download any player made map, and arena objects will be on that map i bet. if nival did any research on this, they would see just how much these objects are used.

edit - ok, i just did the above instructions, and they worked, i now have all the removed objects back. :) :D thxs

Najibarr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Najibarr » 10 Nov 2006, 07:19

- first, uninstall HOMM V and patch 1.4 (unless you didnt patch yet)
- then install again, but patch only up to 1.3
- then locate the mapfilters.xml file in the H5/editor directory and copy the file and place on desktop, or whereever.
- then patch the game up to 1.4, then paste the 1.3 mapfilters.xml file on top of the new map filters.xml file.
- then you rename the above newly pasted file that contains the 1.3 data. you have to change the filename from mapfilter.xml, to mapfilters_1.4.xml
This is unnecessary to reinstall your game because in your h5/editor directory you already have a mapfilters.xml and a mapfilters_1.4.xml. So you have your old one with all your preferences and everything you added if you did. Just exchange them by renaming one after the other. Keep in mind that the new editor always load the xml files that ends with _1.4 so change those if you want to see a change in the map editor.

you are saying there is an undo/redo feature? i checked the new 1.4 editor, and there was no such feature that i could see.
is there a mod with this feature?
You can unlock the undo/redo feature in the 1.4 editor, but it wasn't unlocked in 1.3 you could see it but not use it.
The trick is :
-Close your map editor if its open.
-Go to your h5 directory
-then in the profiles directory
-then open editor.cfg
(that is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V\profiles\editor.cfg)
You should see 6 setvar lines.. change the map_editor_mode from 1 to anything else (which is the fifth setvar line)
Then open your map editor. You'll probably see that the menus have changed.
Go in the "View" menu and check all the new toolbars.
Many features are still disabled but you can use undo/redo, game database selection propriety tree (work together with the game database) and a log window (which is pretty useless imo)

Hope its more clear!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 10 Nov 2006, 07:41

Do the undo/redo work properly? AFAIK they have been there from start, but were disabled because they could not get them work properly. (using them was a good way to mess your map up)

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 10 Nov 2006, 10:26

Thanks Najibarr, very useful info.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 10 Nov 2006, 14:46

Pitsu, maybe you should make a sticky with the proper information about the mapfilters.xml file, and how to replace the objects nival has removed with patch 1.4.

im sure alot of players are going to miss these objects and would like to know how to get them back.
plus i wouldnt want any new mapmakers to miss out on these great decorative objects and not know they are even there.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 10 Nov 2006, 14:51

Possibly. But I'd say wait with that for a bit. Internet already seems full of complaints about 1.4 and the editor, I doubt they'll leave it this way. With the expansion coming out too, I do think they'll at least change something.

I understand why nival removed those objects, they simply weren't meant to be in the editor, it's unfinished beta/battleground stuff. Then again, to leave them in, let us make maps with them for some time and then suddenly removing them seems a bit rude.

Mozared

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 10 Nov 2006, 15:03

Mozared wrote:Possibly. But I'd say wait with that for a bit. Internet already seems full of complaints about 1.4 and the editor, I doubt they'll leave it this way. With the expansion coming out too, I do think they'll at least change something
Nival may change their mind and by popular demand replace these objects, which will be up to us players to let them know, but how long did it take them to fix "not enought"?
enought said. :)
so far nival has never released a mini update patch, so if any changes are made, it will be next year....literally :)
so for now, well just have to manually edit the mapfilters.xml file, and i think its important for the forums to keep players informed about that.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 10 Nov 2006, 15:12

Well, I more meant that I'm half expecting some hotfix for it to come up within 1 week, seeing the bad comment on the patch already :yes:

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 10 Nov 2006, 20:45

Ok, it is no longer funny... is it really impossible for Nival to make simple corrections to map editor without destroying something else by the way? I've already lost my hope...

makrise
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Editor Mod

Unread postby makrise » 10 Nov 2006, 21:49

Hi!

I made a mod for the editor some time ago, based on the MapFilters.xml.

It should make some Objects easier to find adding new Object-Groups to the List:

It's still beta, so please tell me if you find some spelling mistakes, missing/wrong-placed objects... ;)

There is also a version that enables the Snow terrain and some Snow-Objects(But the Game crashes wenn u start a battle on this terrain because there is no combat arena for it)

Install:
1. Backup your original MapFilters_1.4.xml from the Folder: HoMM5\Editor\
2. Copy the downloaded MapFilters_1.4.xml into that folder
3. Restart the Mapeditor
Uninstall:
1. Replace the changed MapFilters_1.4.xml with the one you backed up before.
2. Restart the Mapeditor
Download:
Here is the Original Post at Drachenwald: http://forum.drachenwald.net/thread.php ... #post18493
Standard Mod: MapFilters_1.4.zip
Mod including snow: MapFilters_1.4_snow.zip
(I hope you can download the files without registering for the forum there, if not, I'll upload them somewhere else ;) )

Edit: Download @ http://elrath.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=569
Last edited by makrise on 15 May 2007, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Drachenwald.Net
"Well, things just got simpler. And a lot more complicated."
My Current Project: Rappelz Character Database, a free character database for players of the mmog "Rappelz"

meows
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby meows » 10 Nov 2006, 22:35

Many thanks, I was just getting used to the map editor and missing the arena and conquest items was depressing. Now I have them all.

Then i changed ((that is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V\profiles\editor.cfg)
You should see 6 setvar lines.. change the map_editor_mode from 1 to anything else (which is the fifth setvar line)))

to a 9 and now i have more menus than I know what to do with!

Najibarr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Najibarr » 11 Nov 2006, 00:02

With Open ressource, you can, for example, open and edit the campaign maps and save them with pack mod (they goes in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V\Editor\Maps))
You can also open the combat arenas to edit them
( the reason why you can put combat arena objects on your map)

You can load tables and then edit them very easily. In the game database. To see the file you opened, open the Selection Property window.

And you can do a lot more...

Also if you notice they added a campaign menu which doesn't work at all, but this means that they will soon put that feature in the editor.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Editor Mod

Unread postby myythryyn » 11 Nov 2006, 01:27

makrise wrote:Hi!....

I made a mod for the editor some time ago, based on the MapFilters.xml.

Here is the Original Post at Drachenwald: http://forum.drachenwald.net/thread.php ... #post18493
Standard Mod: MapFilters_1.4.zip
Mod including snow: MapFilters_1.4_snow.zip
(I hope you can download the files without registering for the forum there, if not, I'll upload them somewhere else ;) )
that is such a brilliant great idea. no more trying to remember if an artifact is minor, major, or a relic.
no more going through the creature listing trying to pick certain ones from a faction.
and all the resources are sorted....and...ahhhh..must download :)

but it is a german site, i tried to fumble my way through registering for that site, but i didnt succeed.

can you post a another link to an english site, im sure alot of map makers will want this mod.
i would even suggest making an entire new post announcing this mod, i think its an incredibly useful.
it will never cease to amaze me how players come up with better ideas then the developers of the game.
and in this case, the developers not only dont come up with good ideas in the latest patch, but instead take things away from the editor....

makrise
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Editor Mod

Unread postby makrise » 11 Nov 2006, 07:40

myythryyn wrote: that is such a brilliant great idea. no more trying to remember if an artifact is minor, major, or a relic.
no more going through the creature listing trying to pick certain ones from a faction.
and all the resources are sorted....and...ahhhh..must download :)

but it is a german site, i tried to fumble my way through registering for that site, but i didnt succeed.

can you post a another link to an english site, im sure alot of map makers will want this mod.
i would even suggest making an entire new post announcing this mod, i think its an incredibly useful.
it will never cease to amaze me how players come up with better ideas then the developers of the game.
and in this case, the developers not only dont come up with good ideas in the latest patch, but instead take things away from the editor....
I posted the mod-files at elrath.com: http://elrath.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=569
I think you should be able to download them there without registering ;)

Edit: Updated with Neutral Creatures, you'll find the new files in the post at elrath.com
Last edited by makrise on 11 Nov 2006, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Drachenwald.Net
"Well, things just got simpler. And a lot more complicated."
My Current Project: Rappelz Character Database, a free character database for players of the mmog "Rappelz"

meows
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby meows » 11 Nov 2006, 11:40

THanks for the neat editor mod!

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”