Search found 108 matches

by Arqane
21 Sep 2006, 06:34
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: 1.3 Academy
Replies: 179
Views: 51691

And Caradoc, do try to note when you're modding Academy's creatures that they are intentionally weaker than average. The Artificer ability makes the current ones slightly more powerful than average even in the mid-game. If they were already as powerful and then you added +2 speed/+25% initiative/+75...
by Arqane
21 Sep 2006, 06:24
Topic: Let's balance Academy...
Replies: 26
Views: 7874

Sorry Cornellian, we seem to be ignored in this thread. That's basically fine, because he's trying to find out what to change if anything for Academy to make it better. As far as that goes, I would like to see more use of the Djinn and Rakshasas. While I know their stats are decent, and they can be ...
by Arqane
20 Sep 2006, 20:51

The problem I still see with people complaining about Academy now is that they're stuck on one strategy, and it's mostly similar to their old strategy. If you're stuck with the idea that there's one best strategy for every single game, that's part of the problem right there. As far as balancing for ...
by Arqane
20 Sep 2006, 20:38
Topic: Let's balance Academy...
Replies: 26
Views: 7874

Well, I'd also like to add my None of the Above post. I know they were changed, but I've had no problems adjusting. You don't need to add it in this poll necessarily, but it would be good to mention that not everyone thinks Academy has become useless through the last few patches.
by Arqane
20 Sep 2006, 20:34
Topic: Are Ghosts / Spectres TOO strong now?
Replies: 64
Views: 14855

Well, if you're really talking about a player controlling both the Pixie and Zombies, the Pixie goes down as soon as their hero's turn comes up. So the non-hero AI is really the problem. Zombies have it about the worst, because they can't get good morale. Treants move fairly far and can get good mor...
by Arqane
20 Sep 2006, 03:25

Ermm... do you know how the initiative formula works? If you've got double initiative, you go twice as many times. So: Init 8 Squires vs. Init 16 Blood Furies = Init 100 Squires vs. Init 200 Blood Furies Putting higher numbers would change very little. 100 vs. 101 would mean that every 100 turns, on...
by Arqane
19 Sep 2006, 03:12

Now though your magic is 1/2 as effective , your melee & ranged damage is 1/2 as effective, their numbers haven't changed AFAIK, and to trade that off their damage has been reduced Wait,what does that mean?Incorporeal affects magic as well? :| I believe that's a reference to the new added hps.....
by Arqane
18 Sep 2006, 20:46
Topic: Sea neutral Monsters at the Ashan ocean
Replies: 42
Views: 18081

Heroes is a good series mostly because it did steal some of the best ideas from other games. You can see the influence from many other games in there, with some being very obvious (Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering recently). *chough* D&D *chough* Well, it's been D&D since the beginning. I...
by Arqane
18 Sep 2006, 19:18

With the generally lower gold costs now, I'll usually grab an extra hero for taking out an extra mine or two. Especially on higher difficulty levels, I'll often build the Artifact Merchant and get one of the good cheaper (<10k gold) artifacts. They can make a difference, and gold isn't the major con...
by Arqane
18 Sep 2006, 18:58
Topic: Sea neutral Monsters at the Ashan ocean
Replies: 42
Views: 18081

Kraken, very nice. I suppose it's the same in Russian, too.

Heroes is a good series mostly because it did steal some of the best ideas from other games. You can see the influence from many other games in there, with some being very obvious (Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering recently).
by Arqane
18 Sep 2006, 18:51

One of the things I do miss from Heroes IV was the combined neutral encounters. Stick a few Archers with the Peasants and you're less likely to win with no casualties. Same with a few Druids to go with the Treants. It doesn't have to happen all the time, but it could go a long way to balance out the...
by Arqane
18 Sep 2006, 02:28

Let's make an example. Incorporeal [IIRC] triggers 50% of the time. We've all had battles though where [due to random chance] it triggered about 70% of the time. If you are fighting a hoard of "random level 3s" and get Spectres that means maybe you are fighting 50+ Spectres that effective...
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 20:38
Topic: Will you purchase any more products made by Nival?
Replies: 31
Views: 8288

Buying a game really should be more on a case-by-case basis. I loved Asheron's Call for about 2 years after it came out. It eventually got insanely overpowered and lost it's touch for me, but all MMOs do that eventually. Still a good game. I liked AC2 as well, but most of Turbine's newer games have ...
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 20:26
Topic: Magic compared to earlier series
Replies: 21
Views: 5881

So it's definitely better in my opinion than the old ones where you could have one Black Dragon, spend 20 out of 200 spell points and win large battles. Now you have to have some army and spend most of your mana on a large battle. I do wonder where exactly that was the case... ;| Heroes 2 was like ...
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 20:23
Topic: Persistent problem in Heroes games-lack of scaling
Replies: 9
Views: 2887

Well, I'll definitely agree that they should give mapmakers the option. It's almost always better to have more options than less :).
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 05:46

Well no, I'm not saying the game should be a cakewalk, but not everything has to be a strategic fight. While I do like that part of it in general, it would be horrible especially for multiplayer. And since the game still doesn't have a great AI, it's not that interesting to fight the computer regard...
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 04:40
Forum: Hall of the Heretics
Topic: Until death gets you away from the monitor
Replies: 36
Views: 15274

I think the longest for me was Final Fantasy 2 (English version), which I finished in one sitting. 40 hours or something like that. I had to fit it within the weekend while the parental figures were gone :). I still play pretty long sessions sometimes, but nothing like that, even if a good game does...
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 04:17
Forum: Hall of the Heretics
Topic: missing MoO
Replies: 24
Views: 11807

Yeah, MoO2 was great. MoO3 could have been awesome if they had spent more time, but what game isn't like that these days?

Speaking of Masters... I loved Master of Magic, too. Excellent game as well, and the only thing missing was multiplayer since the concept was still rather new at the time.
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 03:52

Well, that's what the enemy players are for. They give you a constant challenge through the whole game. Besides the fact that, if things scaled too much, Diplomacy would be better than it already is. You know that quest in the campaign that spawns so many critters? I often go in to the big battle on...
by Arqane
16 Sep 2006, 03:46
Topic: Magic compared to earlier series
Replies: 21
Views: 5881

While I do agree about mass-buff spells being more potent, I do think the Destruction spells are way under-powered. I remember back in Heroes 2, once you got Chain Lightning with decent spell power, you could really put a hurtin' on your opponents. Now, even Armegeddon and Meteor shower is under-po...

Go to advanced search