Search found 110 matches

by sylvanllewelyn
16 Jun 2009, 08:03
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Fortress level 6 dwelling
Replies: 14
Views: 6770

Fortress level 6 dwelling

Quick question: when I play dwarves, I usually find myself skipping the Clan Halls building. I know dwarves need a good damage-dealer and a good flyer, and thanes are the only ones that fill that role. But I can never manage to find 20 spare crystal. Which is very different from just requiring 20 ra...
by sylvanllewelyn
14 Jun 2009, 08:56
Topic: Best level 5 spell
Replies: 53
Views: 20171

"Best spell" is not just during battle, but also creeping and development. My vote goes to Roasted Chicken. Puppet master is overrated. You need very high spellpower to work, or else the unit is dragged back in the queue and the effect goes away before their turn even comes up. Frenzy work...
by sylvanllewelyn
14 Jun 2009, 08:47
Topic: Hey... Dwarven luck tooltip is lying
Replies: 8
Views: 3175

The OP knows the chances goes from 20% to 36%. His/her point is that not everyone likes math, and some people find it annoying. It's a valid point. But, I don't really see a problem though, because you would not even have been able to play a strategic turn-based game at all if you struggled with bas...
by sylvanllewelyn
12 May 2009, 13:51
Topic: "Heritage" map help
Replies: 0
Views: 1421

"Heritage" map help

I'm totally embarassed to even post this here but... I was playing against the friggin AI on heroic, "Heritage" map and I ... lost. No seriously, I was Haven, I tried creeping like I usually do when I play against humans, but the combination of lack of resources and hardcoded nasty creeps ...
by sylvanllewelyn
17 Apr 2009, 03:59
Forum: Articles
Topic: Tribes of the East ￾→ Flying to the Rescue ￾→ A
Replies: 92
Views: 52546

Tribes of the East ￾→ Flying to the Rescue ￾→ A

Facts about v3.1: 1) You cannot cleanse puppet master or frenzy from Biara, only vampirism works. Also, you cannot frenzy Biara's stacks. 2) The "900 cyclops feature" does not work anymore. You have to fight all the scripted battles now. Opinions: a) Wulfstan's fight is easy as long as you...
by sylvanllewelyn
17 Apr 2009, 03:20
Topic: Tribes of the East → To Honor our Fathers → One
Replies: 90
Views: 42859

Tribes of the East → To Honor our Fathers → One

The teal heroes and their large stacks every week are clearly a level design feature, not a bug in the script. The purple pirates will be trivial if you have 20 untamed cyclops.
by sylvanllewelyn
18 Aug 2007, 01:10
Topic: Is HoMMV might heavy?
Replies: 48
Views: 10346

In general, it's easier going all magic, and the easiest option for beginners is to use academy, creep, and attack the enemy. Magic helps you creep, gets you resources, gets you creatures and mage guilds, helps you creep and level more. Personally though, I believe might can still beat magic, but yo...
by sylvanllewelyn
28 Apr 2007, 00:53
Topic: Strategy question: Gold or Experience
Replies: 40
Views: 8344

My first instinct was "this guy's a newbie" or "this guy doesn't want to think for himself, doesn't even bother to clarify or ask more specific questions". Of course "it depends", but that's an equally lazy answer to a (possibly) lazy question. Clarity of thought is imp...
by sylvanllewelyn
04 Mar 2007, 04:00
Topic: Holy crap-You MUST see this! (academy strat)
Replies: 261
Views: 61557

I don't know whether the effectiveness of this MMR strategy implies, or whether other strategies are better or worse, after deep thought. What it does say is that it's the Heroes, not the troops, that wins the battle, always. When people talk about town balance, everyone talks about the troops, but ...
by sylvanllewelyn
20 Feb 2007, 04:53
Topic: A gift for all you old world = new world theorists
Replies: 10
Views: 3622

So the real order is

H5 -> H1 -> H3(SoD) -> H2 -> H3 (AB) -> H4.

Nah. It's just a common first name to address a god.
by sylvanllewelyn
20 Jan 2007, 14:24
Topic: Worst race in Heroes 5
Replies: 94
Views: 45584

Perhaps I'm too multiplayer focused, but as much potential Sylvan has, they really have difficulty creeping in the beginning. Everyone has their way of creeping: Haven has marksman (for big creeps; no point wasting marksman on lots of assassins), inferno has gating, necros have raise skeleton, dunge...
by sylvanllewelyn
20 Jan 2007, 04:01
Topic: Worst race in Heroes 5
Replies: 94
Views: 45584

Sylvan is clearly the weakest. Everything just seems to be misplaced. They rely on initiative and speed, but the hero skills are defense followed by knowledge. Although everyone has their tanks and damage dealiers, for sylvan, damage and hitpoints are so seperated, even the idiot knows who to pick o...
by sylvanllewelyn
15 Jan 2007, 15:38

So I've read the posts earlier, and yes, some people on this forum are very rude. This strategy does work, and works well, because level 15-ish is when a pure magic user has the most advantage against a might hero or a hybrid, and unlike heroes 2 and 3 where the warlock is coeval to the wizard, in H...
by sylvanllewelyn
14 Jan 2007, 15:30

Academy's focus on knowledge and spellpower does translate to good early spell damage against creeps, just as magic users have an advantage against might heroes in the beginning. I don't know what people were smoking when they said they sucked online. However, I still prefer Haven or dungeon. With H...
by sylvanllewelyn
21 Dec 2006, 15:57
Topic: 40 Blood Furies or 3 Black Dragons?
Replies: 30
Views: 7843

Blood furies are too weak against shooters and spells, and there are more of those around than you'd think.
by sylvanllewelyn
20 Dec 2006, 14:56
Topic: Academy Strategy Guide
Replies: 23
Views: 10281

Academy Strategy

The best and most detailed strategy guide for the weakest town. Fitting in a strange way. I do want to make two suggestions though: 1) Sorcery is vital for wizards. They often lose the battle before they unload all their mana. Same reason why empowered spells are useful for warlocks. If it's a huge ...
by sylvanllewelyn
19 Nov 2006, 03:40
Forum: News
Topic: Patch 1.4 is coming...
Replies: 95
Views: 22806

Mass haste without light magic only gives +10% initiative, so I don't see how the new power of speed is overpowered. Besides, it's an ability that you have to invest a few skill points towards, and even then heroes have so many more powerful things to do anyway. Knights would benefit, if it weren't ...
by sylvanllewelyn
18 Nov 2006, 01:22
Topic: Heroes that are 'born' without potential for racial ultimate
Replies: 11
Views: 4173

I think hundreds of people have mentioned it dozens of times already, but games are usually decided before heroes go over level 20. In fact, for competitive games, they're decided before you get level 7's.
by sylvanllewelyn
20 Oct 2006, 07:23
Topic: nature's luck without nature's luck?
Replies: 44
Views: 10702

Only 3 hits/misses in a row? That makes for some serious strategic considerations. I hate it when they don't document this stuff, it's important! About the level 15 nature's luck though: a) lots of witch huts and other sources of skill points b) 10 lucky hits in a row with 5 luck, in the course of a...
by sylvanllewelyn
18 Oct 2006, 23:32
Topic: What do you do when you get crappy skills on level up?
Replies: 14
Views: 3713

In the unofficial guides, they have the probabilities for getting each skill for each class. It's as much a probability game as how much you need a certain skill, and how you change your plans if you don't get a certain skill. There's a reason why this is a strategy game, not an RPG.

Go to advanced search