Search found 57 matches

by WretchedGnu
03 Jun 2006, 16:32
Forum: News
Topic: Gossip: A Party in the Dungeon
Replies: 56
Views: 18725

Gossip: A Party in the Dungeon

ah... it's good to see the spirit of the Tyco corporation still abroad in the business world. Maybe we could just go back a few decades and have Playboy Bunnies serving the male managers grapes on Roman-style couches? And where are the male strippers? Oh, wait, that's right: the point is to reinforc...
by WretchedGnu
02 Jun 2006, 13:46
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Does this really work for the turn-based strategy fan???
Replies: 26
Views: 7442

I think people are ignoring what the original post is actually saying. It used to be that people understood that the most important aspect of a turn-based strategy game is information. In terms of user interface, absolutely the first thing a true strategy game designer would do is create a thorough ...
by WretchedGnu
24 May 2006, 16:25
Topic: Crud... No AI = no buy... again!
Replies: 16
Views: 7637

I wouldn't make up my mind yet. People are only just getting the game and existing impressions are likely to be based on the incomplete demo or beta versions and/or very initial impressions of campaign maps. I think it'll take longer to reach final conclusions on the AI. I've found it quite good in...
by WretchedGnu
24 May 2006, 16:20
Topic: Gamespot gives Heroes V 8.2
Replies: 20
Views: 7858

GameSpot Gives Heroes V 8.2

"It is worth noting that Gamespot also gave H2 an 8.2"

and

"it is worth noting they gave heroes 4 a 8.8"

... which is to say that, generally, a Gamespot review of a strategy game is not going to tell you much...!
Edited on Wed, May 24 2006, 10:21 by WretchedGnu
by WretchedGnu
23 May 2006, 11:56
Topic: Crud... No AI = no buy... again!
Replies: 16
Views: 7637

Crud... No AI = no buy... again!

After Heroes IV came out, I was hoping the gods would take pity on the fact that I had to forgo a new Heroes game because it had no operating AI. And the gods gave us Heroes V! Which, unfortunately, has no AI either. The forums have made it clear that the strategic AI frequently won't defend its cit...
by WretchedGnu
17 May 2006, 13:58
Topic: Is there good news about the AI?
Replies: 30
Views: 11331

Thanks for the great observations -- but I'm still curious about whether anybody has seen evidence of a responsive AI on the adventure map (as opposed to the mistakes it makes) -- because I'm willing to forgive a few glitches in the AI if I at least have some evidence that it will actually react to ...
by WretchedGnu
17 May 2006, 05:31
Topic: Is there good news about the AI?
Replies: 30
Views: 11331

Is there good news about the AI?

There's already a thread in the official forum about the various stupidities people have been seeing in both the strategic and tactical AI. So I'm wondering if anybody has seen situations in the game where a working AI seems particularly functional -- i.e., where the AI clearly adapted to some varia...
by WretchedGnu
17 May 2006, 02:20
Topic: Heroes V game content and future support issues
Replies: 22
Views: 7749

Heroes V Game Content and Future Updates

Yeah, I've downloaded it ok -- it's just that none of my media players want to show the video portion -- only the audio...
by WretchedGnu
16 May 2006, 16:58

By the way -- anybody know how to view the Disciples III trailer on that Hungarian site mentioned below? Can't seem to get it to work...
Edited on Tue, May 16 2006, 11:01 by WretchedGnu
by WretchedGnu
16 May 2006, 16:46

Hee... I love this idea that more spells = better game system. Yeah, and maybe chess would be a better game if they added more squares, new pieces, and 35 different abilities to each existing piece? It's like those Baldur's Gate players who think they have a great "strategy" game because t...
by WretchedGnu
15 May 2006, 21:22

... but I forgot to mention in my previous comment that, aside from the AI scare in that scenario, I really love what they've done to the game; I think the new spell and skill systems are even better than H3...
by WretchedGnu
15 May 2006, 21:20

I'm one of the people who had been complaining a lot on the forums about the alarming lack of AI in the demo's custom scenario. (I'd stand next to the computer hero's castle with a weak army -- and my enemy would then emerge from his garrison with a massive army: not to attack me, but to go flag som...
by WretchedGnu
15 May 2006, 20:13
Topic: What AI level is the computer not getting any advantages?
Replies: 17
Views: 6011

I'm not sure about the resources given to computer-controlled heroes -- but I'd like to clarify that the amount of resources given to him has nothing to do with an "AI". It is perfectly possile to load the computer hero with a huge army and give him a simple, unwavering script to follow ov...
by WretchedGnu
14 May 2006, 05:48
Topic: The Demo thread
Replies: 353
Views: 82307

I hope not to beat what might be a severely wounded horse here but... How about that nonexistent AI in the "custom scenario"....? The enemy hero simply won't attack me, despite the fact that his stack is 7 times as large as my own. Then, while I'm standing three inches from his castle (the...
by WretchedGnu
13 May 2006, 21:57
Topic: ...But did the demo have to have *zero* AI ...?
Replies: 7
Views: 3501

I agree... but in the situations I have described, the AI hero's army was overwhelmingly larger and more powerful than my own. If the program has any kind of method of evaluating combat chances, wouldn't that be part of the "core" game code, and therefore be inherent in the demo's code? I ...
by WretchedGnu
13 May 2006, 21:27
Topic: With no SF and seeing the demo, are you buying H5?
Replies: 25
Views: 7894

I was certainly going to buy the game, but now it's not going to happen. There is exactly zero AI in the Demo's custom scenario (opponent won't attack me no matter how weak I am; he'll abandon his castle with his massive army while I'm sitting two inches away with a tiny army). If the developers don...
by WretchedGnu
13 May 2006, 21:08
Topic: ...But did the demo have to have *zero* AI ...?
Replies: 7
Views: 3501

...But did the demo have to have *zero* AI ...?

I understand why you shouldn't judge the game's AI based on the demo. But why on earth would they release a demo with absolutely no operating AI? In the custom scenario, my hero was repeatedly within striking distance of the opponent hero, whose army was at least 7 times the size of my own -- and he...

Go to advanced search