Search found 57 matches

by WretchedGnu
18 Dec 2006, 06:03
Forum: News
Topic: The Dark Misogynist
Replies: 77
Views: 23802

The Dark Misogynist

It's a simple truth that the mythology behind Succubi is inherently sexist, as any historian will tell you. It comes from the same tradition by which Dante figures the Second Circle of Hell (I think it's the second) -- which represents those who suffer from the sin of Lust -- as being populated almo...
by WretchedGnu
05 Nov 2006, 21:34
Topic: Tom Chick on the IGN Review
Replies: 14
Views: 4141

Tom Chick on the 1UP Review

I just can't figure out why people who are fans of a strategy game like HoMM would even be interested in the inane world of FPS...
Edited on Sun, Nov 05 2006, 14:36 by WretchedGnu
by WretchedGnu
05 Nov 2006, 21:10
Topic: Tom Chick on the IGN Review
Replies: 14
Views: 4141

Tom Chick on the 1UP Review

... up to us to decide what the numbers mean? Doesn't it just mean that the game is yet another shallow first-person slasher?
by WretchedGnu
01 Nov 2006, 02:59
Topic: Gamespot Reviews Dark Messiah
Replies: 22
Views: 5929

Gamespot Reviews Dark Messiah

I don't know... To me, any first-person shooter/hacker game is going to get repetetive and boring very quicky, so the reviewer's complaint in that regard doesn't surprise me. And the repetition of the game *was* his central complaint -- not the games "glitches" as this site misleadingly su...
by WretchedGnu
18 Sep 2006, 04:19
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: After 3 patches, what is the verdict?
Replies: 34
Views: 10505

Omega_Destroyer wrote:A lawyer is a person who writes a 10,000-word document and calls it a "brief." -Franz Kafka
Hmm, I've read just about every English-translated word of Kafka's, and I've never encountered that quoation. Is it really just your own, maybe....?
by WretchedGnu
05 Sep 2006, 15:31
Topic: On the Power of the Priestess
Replies: 15
Views: 6413

On the Power of the Priestess

Gosh, who would have thought it? A first-person slasher game is infinitely shallower than its ridiculous hype? Now where's my Oblivion coaster...
by WretchedGnu
05 Sep 2006, 15:28
Topic: IGN Look At Upcoming Games
Replies: 49
Views: 14524

IGN Look At Upcoming Games

Exactly. The veneration people have for WoW -- one of the most fundamentally *boring* games I ever fell asleep in front of -- is baffling.
by WretchedGnu
12 Jul 2006, 00:36
Topic: Heroes V 1.1 Reviewed
Replies: 12
Views: 4105

Heroes V 1.1 Reviewed

As usual, the logic of the review is that 3D is necessarily better than 2D. After all, to make his point about *why* the landscape is more beautiful than previous incarnations, all he has to do is remind his readers that those were "2D." I personally find the Heroes III maps much more aest...
by WretchedGnu
09 Jul 2006, 21:57
Topic: Patch 1.2 News
Replies: 42
Views: 15655

Patch 1.2 News

I think it's a good thing to keep CivIV in mind when evaluating the "quality control" of *any* $50 computer game, whether it's a TBS or not. It's easy to excuse mediocre quality with a shrug and a "that's just the way the industry is nowadays." Not so. I've become so inured to sh...
by WretchedGnu
29 Jun 2006, 22:54
Topic: Heroes V Still in the Top 10
Replies: 6
Views: 3038

Heroes V Still in the Top 10

Oblivion sucks. Its AI is worse than Heroes V -- and that's saying something.

Heroes should get another boost, though, after today's rave review in the New York Times...

Edited on Thu, Jun 29 2006, 16:54 by WretchedGnu
by WretchedGnu
24 Jun 2006, 07:00
Topic: Dark Messiah Warrior Video
Replies: 22
Views: 7057

Dark Messiah Warrior Video

uh... yeah, it looks cool -- and it looks like your opponents are about as smart and challenging as a jar of bacon grease. Looks like Ubi's got the bad AI thing down pat...
by WretchedGnu
17 Jun 2006, 02:37
Topic: Disciples 3 Trailer and Q&A
Replies: 20
Views: 6727

Disciples 3 Trailer and Q&A

Well, after reading the interview, I'm a little alarmed. Every time the interviewer asks him a question about the game, he goes on and on about the graphics engine, but has almost nothing to say about major gameplay elements -- except that they're pretty much going to duplicate D2 in that regard bec...
by WretchedGnu
17 Jun 2006, 02:18
Topic: Disciples 3 Trailer and Q&A
Replies: 20
Views: 6727

Disciples 3 Trailer and Q&A

If they give Disciples 3 a decent AI, as it had in the past, it'll automatically be superior to Heroes 5. Disciples 2 even gave Heroes 3 a run for its money...
by WretchedGnu
11 Jun 2006, 04:00
Topic: simplicity - most important?
Replies: 6
Views: 2778

I doubt the original poster's computer is the problem. I ran the demo on a killer machine, and the whole graphical environment worked as smoothly as it's designed to -- and yet I still agree with the original poster. Because of the way it's set up, you simply can't jump quickly from town to hero to ...
by WretchedGnu
10 Jun 2006, 22:32
Topic: Serious question for those who play Single Player
Replies: 48
Views: 12908

Re: Serious question for those who play Single Player

Even against such cheat-favored heroes, and even if you lose against them, your subtle strategic choices never actually mattered in terms of the ultimate outcome. Actualy then they do. Especialy is you win by a small margin. Means you used the right strategy to maximize ur army. But ur right, the o...
by WretchedGnu
10 Jun 2006, 18:45
Topic: Serious question for those who play Single Player
Replies: 48
Views: 12908

Serious question for those who play Single Player

Although the consensus seems to be that the AI in H5 is on the poor side, I don't want to debate that here: But for the purpose of the question I want to ask, I assume we can all agree that, unless dozens of people are simply lying in these forums, the following scenario does not misrepresent the ga...
by WretchedGnu
10 Jun 2006, 00:11
Topic: Did MMORPGs kill HoMM's AI?
Replies: 11
Views: 4462

Did MMORPGs kill HoMM's AI?

It's a well-known fact that the popularity of MMORPGs has altered the way game publishers and their investors (as opposed to developers) evaluate the profitability of new games. One of the "lessons" they come away with is the idea -- whether it's true or not -- that the majority of game do...
by WretchedGnu
09 Jun 2006, 23:23
Topic: Nival Answers Again
Replies: 46
Views: 13715

Nival Answers Again

Nice! It will only take *two* patches for them to add descriptions of creature abilities -- only two patches to include information in the game that would actually allow people to know which resources they have at their command, and therefore know how to strategically deploy those resources. Only tw...
by WretchedGnu
08 Jun 2006, 23:51
Topic: Playing against a lame AI is like.... um... Help me out here
Replies: 5
Views: 1793

Agreed.

Poll now irrelevant.

Go to advanced search