Search found 309 matches

by MattII
12 Jan 2012, 09:58
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Heroic: war machines
Replies: 17
Views: 9209

Okay, for starters, sticking the catapult and ballista together is lunacy, they have completely different functions (the catapult breaks walls, and on the battlefield would have a fairly random area attack, while the ballista is a direct shooter).
by MattII
13 Dec 2011, 04:30
Topic: 2D vs. 3D
Replies: 38
Views: 15921

I think the thing with Civilization is that it's historical, you don't need a back-story, because the whole of recorded history is the back-story. The same thing goes for Age Of Empires, Empire Earth and all the other 'real world' games, you already know the story more-or-less, so you don't need the...
by MattII
10 Dec 2011, 07:10
Topic: 2D vs. 3D
Replies: 38
Views: 15921

Functionally there is little difference between the two, there's little you can do with a 3D engine that can't also be done with a 2D one, and in most cases the 2D one will do it much cheaper system-wise, albeit less impressively. Commercially 3D is necessary for any game wanting to make a name for...
by MattII
13 Nov 2011, 03:42
Topic: Heroic: campaign
Replies: 16
Views: 6388

Groovy wrote:Sounds good for single player campaigns; not sure whether it can work in multiplayer.
Probably can't, which is where the "world conquest" style comes in.
by MattII
12 Nov 2011, 21:44

I like that idea, adaptive campaigns, maybe even campaign length being dependent on your success in earlier campaigns.
by MattII
11 Nov 2011, 09:40

Well there's some interesting ideas, but most of them sound more like a "world-conquest" type game than a "storyline-base-campaign" type one.
by MattII
01 Nov 2011, 06:03
Topic: Heroic: dungeons
Replies: 8
Views: 4779

I like the sound of planes, not sure how you'd do lairs though.
by MattII
30 Oct 2011, 08:44
Topic: Heroic: skills
Replies: 26
Views: 10311

I wouldn't say mixed races but if you remove the "animals" in a town and make them Neutral...well let's say a Stronghold with a Griffin instead of one of the normal elites would be interesting IMO. Would work better if each faction had at least one proper 'animal' (Haven has Griffin, Infer...
by MattII
28 Oct 2011, 04:59
Topic: Heroic: factions, town structures and economy
Replies: 13
Views: 5184

Do you mean a horde building? Yes I do. Couldn't remember which way to spell it. I really like the slots approach, actually. I'd like to even see where you could build multiple dwellings for the same creature and forego one or more from different levels. That'd require some serious balancing though...
by MattII
27 Oct 2011, 22:43
Topic: Heroic: factions, town structures and economy
Replies: 13
Views: 5184

Not sure about that. What I would mind seeing is a serious modification of the dwelling system, so instead of just building dwellings, and then upgrades and hoards (for those that have them), each dwelling has both an upgrade and a hoard, but you have to choose between them. Or possibly a system whe...
by MattII
24 Oct 2011, 08:32

Do you mean that it’s okay to improve skills through use, but not to acquire them in the first place through use? No, I mean I like the idea of increase-through-use skills, but I think fitting them into the current structure of hero-development is going to be difficult, because you don't want to gi...
by MattII
23 Oct 2011, 09:05
Topic: Main differences with HOMM V??
Views: 5504

Sikon wrote:10x14. Heroes V had 10x12 (and even 8x10 in the beta).
You have a screenshot for that, because all I can find is 10x12 for normal and 12x14 for siege, which is exactly the same as in H5.

Creatures in 3 levels rather than 7.
by MattII
23 Oct 2011, 06:04

I don't know, I mean, I like the idea of increase with use abilities, but I also feel that it would be really difficult to implement because I don't want heroes gaining abilities for just walking around.
by MattII
20 Oct 2011, 03:26
Topic: A goodbye to HOMM! Heroes VI has ended my love for this game
Replies: 121
Views: 94895

Griffins could fit well in Haven, Academy or Dungeon, since both Western European and Middle-Eastern civilisations have used eagles and lions as symbols of power, but have also villified some species of birds, and black cats were often considered evil.
by MattII
18 Oct 2011, 03:24
Topic: Let's talk town conversions...
Replies: 30
Views: 15629

1 day conversion +1 day for every other building in the town beyond the hall.
by MattII
27 Sep 2011, 05:24
Topic: Heroic: boss monsters
Replies: 14
Views: 7057

Oh the animal-names weren't supposed to be the creature names, just what the creatures looked like, so for example the Fire Animental is called just that, but looks like a lion. As for sprucing up the animals, just find (or invent) mythical creatures based on it. For example: Stag (charge bonus) -> ...
by MattII
27 Sep 2011, 04:43
Topic: Let's talk town conversions...
Replies: 30
Views: 15629

Make it 3 days base, +1 day for every building that has to be destroyed.
by MattII
24 Sep 2011, 06:41
Topic: Heroic: boss monsters
Replies: 14
Views: 7057

I was going to include boss monster toughening up with time in a way similar to how creature stacks grow in size on the adventure map. Is this what you had in mind? More-or-less, yes. Heck, maybe make this the basis of boss creatures, they don't stack, but to compensate, their individual strength i...
by MattII
24 Sep 2011, 06:31
Topic: Heroic: environment
Replies: 12
Views: 4476

Mine only work within a certain area of the Standing Stone.
by MattII
23 Sep 2011, 09:17
Topic: Heroic: environment
Replies: 12
Views: 4476

Strip off the lake/river, a terrain that one faction can move through while blocking others is just too unbalancing. Not keen on the environment effects either, those are better left for a RTS IMO. How about something to provide an area-of-effect boost to your troops (I'd call them Altars, but you'v...

Go to advanced search