Search found 456 matches

by Darmani
04 Jul 2011, 04:59
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: HoMM2 units' personal Attack Skill is redundant...or is it?
Replies: 30
Views: 11314

We already have the latter two, and we kinda have the first two. A unit with very low damage but with very high attack; A Titan. A unit with very high damage but with very low attack; A Wolf. A unit with very low hitpoints but with very high defence; A Pikeman. A unit with very high hitpoints but wi...
by Darmani
04 Jul 2011, 03:24
Topic: Inner workings of the HoMM II AI
Replies: 16
Views: 10433

From what I know of behavioral psychology, saying too much publicly will destroy my motivation (and please don't speculate publicly either). If you PM me, I can try to share what I've done, though I don't think I'll be logistically capable of collaborating for a bit. Anyway, I guess the short answer...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 20:55

No, because this is only how the heuristic for effects is computed. This isn't how the heuristics for spells is computed. (For example, the heuristic for casting the "Haste" spell on a Slow'ed creature is the sum of the heuristic for removing the "Slow" effect and adding the Hast...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 20:17

In order for the AI to choose the best move, there must be a notion of "best" move. This is very hard to do without having a notion of "better" move. No matter how it compares moves to determine which one is better, since there's only a finite number of moves, it winds up being e...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 19:28

If my Grad AI class taught me anything, it's that AI is so broad that every computer scientist can call themselves an AI researcher. Data structures are AI! Shortest-path searches are AI! Random number generation is AI! Linear programming is AI! As far as game AIs go, you have to make your compariso...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 15:47

1: Every point of Attack OVER the opponent's Defense gives +10% on the attacker's damage roll. 2: Every Point of Attack UNDER the opponent's Defense gives -5% on the attacker's damage roll. Congratulations on figuring that out by pure observation. But that information is in the HoMM II manual (alon...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 14:29

you have two stats that affect the same result. that result being the unit's melee output against all targets. take one out and increase the other, you'll ultimately have the same end result, that being melee damage. We've spent the last page trying to explain that you won't have the same result. Y...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 05:01

Inner workings of the HoMM II AI

This will be a series of posts explaining how the HoMM II AI makes its decisions. I'll post things as I figure them out. Expect a lot about the combat AI now, but don't expect anything on the adventure map AI for a while. Fight value Every creature has a hard-coded "fight value," a number ...
by Darmani
03 Jul 2011, 03:33

If I'm reading that post correctly, you understand that Attack and Damage affect the damage creatures do in different ways. You have thus retreated to saying "But we can already make creatures different -- why do we need to make them more different?" Is that something you would have said b...
by Darmani
02 Jul 2011, 16:09

I've not seen this documented anywhere, but water elementals actually already take double damage from fire elementals, and vice versa (although this works by the hatred system).
by Darmani
01 Jul 2011, 17:34

Let me give out a more detailed example. I have a stack of Phoenixes, with an attack of 12. My opponent has a stack of Boars with a defense of 4 and a stack of Golems with a defense of 10. If we only look at the HP, the Golems have twiceas much HP as the Halflings, and would thus be twice as hard to...
by Darmani
01 Jul 2011, 16:58

No. I'm saying that, while both Attack and damage modify the damage dealt, they do so in different ways. Increasing a creature's minimum and maximum damage by 10% always increases the damage it does by 10%. Increasing a creature's Attack by 10% may have no effect on the damage it does, or it may tri...
by Darmani
01 Jul 2011, 01:43

Yeah, I deliberately avoided discussing that. I started typing that post with me having Black Dragons and talking about "expected damage," but I switched it to Titans with Bless so I wouldn't have to explain what I meant. (Depending on who you talk to, "expected" is either a fanc...
by Darmani
01 Jul 2011, 00:20

Say I have a hero with Titans with Bless cast on them, and I'm attacking an enemy hero with Black Dragons. I want to draw out a graph of how much damage, on average, my Titans will do to his Dragons, versus how much Attack skill I have over the enemy's Defense skill. It starts out flat, where the en...
by Darmani
08 Jun 2011, 03:49
Topic: Can anyone make Bad Luck work in HOMM3?
Replies: 7
Views: 7200

In HoMM II, if you have -1 luck, what is your chance of getting bad luck?

If you answered 10%, you're wrong! It's 0%.

-2 luck gives you a 1/24 chance. I believe this to be a bug, since +1 luck gives you 1/24, +2 luck gives you 2/24, etc.
by Darmani
23 Apr 2011, 18:17
Forum: Campfire
Topic: Welcome! Come and introduce yourself
Replies: 303
Views: 162399

I think I can handle a few of your requests with a bit of assembly hacking. Sit tight though; there are bigger fish to fry.
by Darmani
27 Feb 2011, 20:11
Topic: Some maps for Heroes2
Replies: 6
Views: 7909

Downloaded. I'll have a look at them later.
by Darmani
27 Feb 2011, 20:09
Topic: H2: Strongest faction for MP play
Replies: 14
Views: 7373

It's fairly obvious that the cheaper factions will have an easier time in Impossible difficulty, but I don't think it's right to base analyses solely off that. You seem to mainly be arguing that the Knight *hero* is the best. Players can just as easily play Warlock and recruit a Knight for their mai...
by Darmani
08 Feb 2011, 15:49
Topic: Homm2 Can't Beat Final Battle
Replies: 8
Views: 4307

Interesting. I've done that too in the Evil campaign, but I believe I would have lost if I had spent less time building an army.

Meanwhile, I've beaten Archibald in a month from the Crown using almost no army, the Book of Summoning, and a lot of spell points.
by Darmani
08 Feb 2011, 00:22
Topic: Homm2 Can't Beat Final Battle
Replies: 8
Views: 4307

The army carries over with your first hero.

If you're shooting for a top score, the crown might be a better choice -- 8 weeks is a while. If you just want to win, it will definitely be easier to leverage the army into a victory than the crown.

Go to advanced search