Search found 605 matches

by Alamar
19 Feb 2008, 14:47
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Why hasn't HOMM series won many more fans?
Replies: 45
Views: 18715

IMHO "first impressions" hurt H5 a lot. The initial release wasn't anything to brag about. So-so to bad story in campaign mode, poor documentation, non-beta tested AI, .... were all problems that the initial release had. After perceived issues with H4, H5 needed to be a perfect release and...
by Alamar
13 Feb 2008, 00:14
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: Knight hero Evolution (New Hero Class Evolution polls!)
Replies: 39
Views: 17306

I don't really care much for foot knights so H4 is out right-off-the-bat. I imagine that the corrupting influence of WarHammer is getting to me but I have to vote for H5 as the preferred look of a knight ... Of course H5 was released about 10 years after H2 so if you take that into account I'd proba...
by Alamar
14 Jan 2008, 00:39
Topic: Pit Fiend Evolution
Replies: 18
Views: 12421

I'm going for the H5 Pit Lord because it looks a little more "balroggy" to me.
by Alamar
02 Jan 2008, 21:33
Topic: Heroes VI Wishlist And Engine Poll
Replies: 75
Views: 20201

I'd like the series to return to a 2d engine. Most strategy games are much easier to play in 2d, and you can actually get more detailed graphics. This is probably an unrealistic wish, but I don't really see why it couldn't be done. Did the shiny new 3d engine in heroes 5 actually attract any new pl...
by Alamar
02 Jan 2008, 21:27
Topic: Faerie Dragon Evolution
Replies: 27
Views: 9640

darknessfood wrote:Strange that the H4 version get's a LOT of votes. When i look at it, it doesn't really recall a feeling that it could be a feary dragon...
I'm almost willing to call "shenanagins" on the vote total. How H4 has that many votes is certainly odd.
by Alamar
01 Jan 2008, 23:50
Topic: HoMM III: Best level 2 creature
Replies: 67
Views: 23892

It's not fair counting the Storm Elemental because it's not really a traditional 2nd level creature so-to-speak. As for the others I like the harpy hags [with an honorable mention to wolf riders] for their speed, range, and special abilities they really shine. As for the Marksmen vs. LW debate I wou...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 21:38
Topic: So what's the final verdict on Heroes V?
Replies: 271
Views: 58251

I think an 8 game campaign with 7 carryover heroes would be boring as hell If the game was created in H-V that may well be true, but in H-IV it really depends on the story development of each hero and whether you find the story interesting. Just for clarification: I meant that statement indeed for ...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 20:19
Topic: Heroes VI Wishlist And Engine Poll
Replies: 75
Views: 20201

Re: rants...

I remembered something I've wanted since maybe H3; More interactive stuff on the adventure map. I don't mean buildings, but for example moving characters. An example would be trading wagons, merchants selling stuff, armies for hire and such... these could appear once a month, or something like that...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 20:12

On the H4 vs. H5 ... RPG vs. Battle maps I have an odd set of opinions: 1. I prefer a strong story map for SP. I also prefer story maps for coop MP. For competitive MP [esp. when it's not a social game] I think you have to go with basic battle-maps. 2. I think that a good H4 map is a heavily scripte...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 19:59
Topic: HV & HoF Campaigns in TotE
Replies: 42
Views: 29771

SoD included neither the Conflux town nor the Armageddon's Blade campaigns unless you already had Armageddon's Blade installed. Ok then a follow up as I got H-III and IV complete for Christmas, if Armageddon's Blade is installed is the Conflux available in SOD? IIRC if you have H3, H3:AB, and H3:So...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 19:50
Topic: Favourite faction in H1 - 2007
Replies: 17
Views: 4669

Voted for Warlocks, i absolutely love everything about this castle, the gloomy atmosphere, eerie music, the heroes (Sandro!) and creatures of course... Noone voted for Knights. And I would be surprised if anyone will. Actually there's something very old-fashioned and cheesy about this castle that i...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 19:47
Topic: Faerie Dragon Evolution
Replies: 27
Views: 9640

Hands-down the H3 Faerie Dragon is superior to the H4 version. Basically H3 is cute, distinct, and faerie-like. The H4 version looks like "just another dragon" to me. ***************************** EDIT: How is the voting this close? The people that posted by far perfer the H3 version but u...
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 15:36

I also agree that I prefer the "look" of H2 over H3 in many areas. I admit that the graphics of H3 are "better" in a technical sense but I prefer the more cartoony look & feel of H2.

Oddly that's one reason that I like H5 graphics is their cartoony nature.
by Alamar
31 Dec 2007, 14:53
Topic: Does anyone have copies of H1 / H2 / H2 Price of Loyalty?
Replies: 19
Views: 4405

UPDATE: I looked over my H2: PoL expansion CD and even though it's not in mint condition I'm pretty sure that it should be readable. All that I need at this point is H1 and the core H2 games on CD if anyone wants to turn those loose. EDIT: I imagine the Win 95 / Win 98 versions of the games are pref...
by Alamar
28 Dec 2007, 19:21
Topic: Ice bolt vs. Lightning bolt
Replies: 9
Views: 3559

I think the problem is that by the time lightning does become stronger you have better spells such as implosion or meteor shower to cast. In earlier versions the stunning effect was a good reason to use lightning over cold but not anymore. One situation now where it could be useful is if you find t...
by Alamar
28 Dec 2007, 13:14

Alamar, if you really have bought these games legaly in the past, I think your conscience should allow you to get any kind of copy this time. Legal or not. Actually I've bought multiple copies of each game IIRC. While my conscience would be clear personally I wanted to make sure that I was looking ...
by Alamar
27 Dec 2007, 21:04

Does anyone have copies of H1 / H2 / H2 Price of Loyalty?

Specifically does anyone have LEGAL copies of those games that they'd be willing to sell? My preference is for H1 + H2 + H2: PoL. H1 + H2: Gold would be fine though. Even though I've bought H1 & H2 several times I often end up losing CDs in moves so I no longer have H1 anymore. My copy of H2: Go...
by Alamar
27 Dec 2007, 19:38
Topic: Favourite faction in H4 - 2007
Replies: 35
Views: 8965

I go back & forth a lot on which faction is my favorite. It would have been Necropolis if they hadn't foisted the demons on me :)

Deep down I probably like Haven the best simply because their "Knights" reminded me a lot of the old H1 && H2 paladins.
by Alamar
26 Dec 2007, 22:04
Topic: Favourite faction in H1 - 2007
Replies: 17
Views: 4669

BTW: Even though my favorite faction is Warlock [with Flying Barneys] I do have to admit that my favorite hero leading the army was a Barbarian!!
by Alamar
25 Dec 2007, 11:20
Topic: Favourite faction in H2 - 2007
Replies: 18
Views: 6675

I've got to go with the Warlocks again here. From top-to-bottom they have an awesome H2 army list .... there really isn't anyone that can easily compete. Just like H1 balance-smalance ... if the game went on long enough you were going to win ...... IIRC the Warlock opera was also one of the best ope...

Go to advanced search