Search found 605 matches

by Alamar
Mar 3 2008, 18:41
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Looking Forward: Final impressions on H5 and a vision of H6
Replies: 34
Views: 7075

Another advantage as far as MP is concerned is that the other player wouldn't know what faction you developed until your first meeting. This would create a lot more in-game tension and increase the importance of strategic choices. I.e., the strategy would become more blind. That's basically what I ...
by Alamar
Mar 3 2008, 18:34
Topic: H5 AI harder than H3 AI?
Replies: 66
Views: 18294

One wonders if the H6 AI will be completely reworked and if so, how?? There's a thread on the H1-H4 forums about how to teach a HoMM AI how to play. Any contributions would be welcome :) On a related issue, and I've said it in previous posts, the cheating done by most human players is just at bad i...
by Alamar
Mar 3 2008, 17:33
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: Teach a Computer to Play Heroes, Part 1: Building
Replies: 33
Views: 7620

Now that we have "sort of" decided on a possible way to go about doing this does anyone want to volunteer their time and whip up something in C / C++ / pick-your-scripting-language / etc.??? A proof of concept would be a good step forward to seeing if it could effectively be done and what ...
by Alamar
Feb 29 2008, 19:54
Topic: Warlock hero evolution
Replies: 24
Views: 9247

P.S.: I don't understand why a hero has to have a horse. Because I generally don't like my generals walking around with the masses?? Lts / Sgts / company commanders ... no horse is fine. An army general though should have some sort of mount or be in a tent :) ... that's of course just personal pref...
by Alamar
Feb 29 2008, 19:50

Let's not jump on someone because we're not really wild about the idea from what little we've heard. If we do someone else may not feel like volunteering their potentially great idea because they don't want to catch any flak. In general I kind of like the idea that based on your desicions certain op...
by Alamar
Feb 29 2008, 16:41
Topic: Warlock hero evolution
Views: 9247

I like the H1 Warlock a little better. The horse looks cleaner with minimal barding so I'll go with that.

H2 the horse and rider look a little off.
H3 is just wrong.
H5's "cold one rider" doesn't move me
H4 sorceress is very nice and would be the winner if there was a horse somewhere :)
by Alamar
Feb 28 2008, 20:30

Most importantly, the developers of H6 need to pay some serious attention to the map editor. They clearly have not yet learned the lesson that the main reason earlier incarnations of HoMM were as popular as they were, was because of user made maps. H4 is good example - the game itself was almost un...
by Alamar
Feb 28 2008, 14:55

Re: Creatures and factions

Thus, in H6, why not have some factions with 6 or even 5 creature types? Or ones with 8 or 9? Why not have a branched building structure like heroes 4, but where some towns can build multiple dwellings at a given level, while others can't? Or, to take an idea from what I have seen posted here and e...
by Alamar
Feb 27 2008, 21:07

As for maximizing army strength in a 1-on-1 situation [what to build vs. what creatures that I can recruit && when] I don't think that this is a terribly difficult issue. The key factor he is to get a general idea of on what day does the AI need to be at this peak strength and efficiency an...
by Alamar
Feb 27 2008, 14:58

@JJ: I tend to agree that the battle AI in H5 isn't bad. I do wish a few of the blind spots were fixed but overall it's not too bad. As for the hero building thing I believe that this problem would be fairly easy to solve so there's no need to worry here. As for maximizing army strength in a 1-on-1 ...
by Alamar
Feb 27 2008, 0:26

In the end your AI is only going to be as good as your rule base / state machine / whatever is going to be. I think that we should concentrate on the general rules that would be needed to govern the AI and then we can go back and look at what sorts of ways we would have to implement / execture the r...
by Alamar
Feb 27 2008, 0:08

I tend to agree that I like the chaotic upgrade system of H2 better than forcing one and only 1 upgrade on all creatures. This way if the devs can think of numerous cool [and balanced] upgrades then great. If not then they don't have to force some upgrade on a creature not really deserving of one. I...
by Alamar
Feb 26 2008, 23:45
Topic: Sorceress/Druid hero evolution
Replies: 28
Views: 9729

I vote for the H1 sorceress. Lightly armored human female on an unbarded horse ... This is just about right.

The H2 horse barding doesn't look right. For a Sorceress I don't want to see barding.

H3 looks bland.

H4 lacks a horse in general so I don't like that much ...
by Alamar
Feb 26 2008, 23:21

For several reasons I could list, if someone wishes so I think that letting the AI simply cope human behaviour is impractical. I think that the way to build the best AI possible would be a way akin to the way a Random Map generator works. Modules or Templates of AI behaviour should be written, that...
by Alamar
Feb 25 2008, 14:59

The things that I'm looking for in H6 are: 1. Improved AI. 2. Improved [more user friendly] map editor 3. Make it easier to develope "story" maps 4. Make the factions as diverse as possible. While I understand that memory mentor and other things are fun to play around with I think that the...
by Alamar
Feb 23 2008, 0:58

Ok let's run with that. How do you estimate how many resources you're going to pick up in any given week? For the first week, the map file itself can have information about what surrounds your starting castle. Simpler yet, just have a total sum of the average value of loose resources and the total ...
by Alamar
Feb 22 2008, 22:58
Topic: Mage Evolution(!?)
Replies: 40
Views: 19853

I'll go with the H2 archmage. The robe change is very nice and I like the beard there better than the other options.
by Alamar
Feb 22 2008, 0:54

As far as the assumption of $ && resources go I don't think that it should assume a constant daily income. I think what it should do is to try to do a rough guesstimate of how many resources it will have on various days and then based on that data try to figure out a proper build order. With...
by Alamar
Feb 20 2008, 13:38
Topic: Barbarian hero evolution
Replies: 20
Views: 8114

I almost always like mounted generals so that rules out H4. The H1 & H3 mounts don't look like the horse would be native to harsh environments per-se. The H5 barb doesn't fit the mold of what I was looking for.

Really that only leaves the H2 barb so that's where my vote goes.
by Alamar
Feb 19 2008, 14:51
Topic: Luck and Attack
Views: 9678

I tend to agree that Luck, Leadership, Attack, and Defense didn't feel properly balanced against each other per-se even when you took the randomness into account.

Hopefully H6 will fare better here.

Go to advanced search