Search found 605 matches

by Alamar
28 Apr 2010, 18:15
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: [Unofficial Expansion] The HOMM5 Role Playing Edition
Replies: 36
Views: 27266

This mod is can only be installed on TOE 3.1, so the question if it is preferable over TOE or the H5 complete edition is not relevant. This is for people who have the best version of the game (ToE 3.1) and are bored with it. Hmmm ... I think a question as to whether a MOD is better than the game it...
by Alamar
27 Apr 2010, 16:38
Topic: [Unofficial Expansion] The HOMM5 Role Playing Edition
Replies: 36
Views: 27266

So for the folks that have been playing around with this mod here's a few questions: -- Is the AI good without being annoying? -- Is the update more fun than H5:TotE? -- What are the pros & cons for those folks that mostly play single player? -- Would it be worth it to buy H5: Complete then add ...
by Alamar
22 Apr 2010, 17:50
Forum: News
Topic: Heroes VI Status?
Replies: 45
Views: 17997

Heroes VI Status?

I'm glad that HoMM isn't dead but I'm also not wildly excited either. Basically I was so disappointed in the initial release of the last version I'll likely just wait until the patches & expansions that "fix everything" come out then pick up the bundle. Note: If the AI review comes bac...
by Alamar
22 Apr 2010, 17:33
Topic: Ubisoft Eliminates Paper Manuals
Replies: 59
Views: 18601

Ubisoft Eliminates Paper Manuals

Honestly I think printed manuals are overrated. On this point I don't think UBI's move is a bad idea at all and I support it. On the other hand UBI's initial H5 HoMM manual wasn't very good ... almost to the point they didn't need to bother even faking one. The User Manuals [EDIT: made by gamers] be...
by Alamar
22 Apr 2010, 17:22
Topic: UbiSoft Online Controversy
Replies: 155
Views: 56708

UbiSoft Online Controversy

Personally this sort of DRM would be annoying because: -- My game rig doesn't have an always available connection -- My DSL [grrr AT*T] almost always has several 1-3 minute dropouts per hour ... It's frustrating enough when surfing the web but if a game pauses while this happens I have to wonder -- ...
by Alamar
22 Apr 2010, 17:12
Topic: Final Consensus: Was Heroes V a step in the right direction?
Replies: 57
Views: 25069

Is there an option for 2 steps forward, 2 steps back??? I think some of the things done with H5 were improvements while other things were a step back so it's unclear which way H5 turned out for me. My biggest issue is I could never get over my initial disappointment that little attention [care??] wa...
by Alamar
22 May 2009, 16:42
Topic: Heroes 6 wishlist (draft)
Replies: 328
Views: 138398

:applause: I really enjoy reading well thought-out opinions/suggestions such as this. And no apology necessary for disagreeing - we're all entitled to our opinions here. Thank you. It's good when folks can discuss thing that they disagree about in a civil & reasonable manner. Your mention of Ne...
by Alamar
21 May 2009, 17:58

This is a really subjective opinion so it's hard to describe. I think things started to go south when it mattered which hero you had. It's really bad when you have to pick a certain hero and build him up a certain way in order to win a scenario. That's not strategy, it's figuring out the secret, an...
by Alamar
20 May 2009, 19:33

I guess I'm bothered by how much people talk about their "hero builds" in H5 like they're playing Diablo 2 or World of Warcraft. The strategy guides for the different factions all mention the best heroes and the best ways to build them. I don't know if it's just a balance problem or what,...
by Alamar
19 May 2009, 18:18

Does that mean a unique ultimate skill for each hero? That's an awful lot of ultimate skills to create and balance, don't you think? Isn't having your hero's specialty grow with his level good enough? It seems like there's a couple of different reasons why people like this game based on our suggest...
by Alamar
18 May 2009, 18:52

OTOH, this might lead to less variety in the skills you're offered if you always play with the same basic strategy. Your heroes always do the same kinds of things, so they're offered some skills more often than others. Thoughts? I agree with the critique. I don't want to lock people in to certain s...
by Alamar
14 May 2009, 22:54

While I'm not sure if this would work how about this for a new skill system: -- You are still offered random skills & abilities -- The percentages of what skills & abilities are offered would depend on what sorts of things your hero does. For example if you have a garrison hero that never mo...
by Alamar
14 May 2009, 18:41

On the other hand, with H5's skill system, it is somewhat unfair if you need an "ultimate" or certain skill combo from a map that you may not be able to get through no fault of your own. Yes, this is main reason why I don't like that system anymore. Carefully plaining and choosing skills ...
by Alamar
14 May 2009, 16:45

My wishlist: <SNIP> 10. Skill/stats system - get rid of this system from previous games where skills and stats were fix at map start. So if I for example save game before hero level up and next load game - I will have different skill to choose. It can be unbalanced in singleplayer but choosing skil...
by Alamar
11 May 2009, 14:58

Re: Town Portal spell wish

FWIW, here are my main desires for a new Heroes: from H5: The size of the town in general should be a factor in what can be built - not just a prerequisite building. While I agree with the majority of what you say I'd like to expand on this point. I'd like a map maker to have the ability to let you...
by Alamar
08 May 2009, 21:13

Wishlist: -- Bring back HOMM2 style opera -- Make the game feel like you're leading an ARMY and not a band of creatures [overland map issue] -- Ship a first-rate map / campaign editor at product launch. There should be lots of menu-driven / gui functionality. There should also be an advanced mode wh...
by Alamar
23 Apr 2008, 22:34
Topic: H5 AI harder than H3 AI?
Replies: 66
Views: 24983

1. Allow the AI to have perfect knowledge of the map. I thought it's been established that the AI does have perfect knowledge of the map. Someone created a custom map and did an experiment to confirm this and reported in great details (I forgot where I saw this). Not only that, but it apparently kn...
by Alamar
15 Mar 2008, 12:37
Topic: RAM upgrade question and HOMM5
Replies: 7
Views: 4191

I think that you'll really enjoy the purchase because it won't just make HoMM run faster but almost anything else that you do could see a speed increase. From what I can tell 2GB is the sweet spot for 32 bit gaming today and that should be fine until we see 64 bit gaming take off. ******************...
by Alamar
04 Mar 2008, 15:31
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: Teach a Computer to Play Heroes, Part 1: Building
Replies: 33
Views: 11070

I'm guessing that everyone making mentions of development time isn't a computer scientist. Actually I've got a Master's Degree in Computer Science [GA Tech] and worked as a professional programmer for > 10 years. I would like to claim a lot of knowledge on the specific subject of AIs but honestly I...
by Alamar
03 Mar 2008, 19:03
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: Teach a Computer to Play Heroes, Part 1: Building
Replies: 33
Views: 11070

(But I do not belive that here are tools and language to accomplish this in desirable offset of time .) And there's the rub :) Given infinite time, resources, and computing power I would assume that we could come up with a pretty decent AI. However given limited development and end-user computing t...

Go to advanced search