Search found 105 matches

by mkienenb
15 Jan 2010, 02:45
Forum: Might and Magic
Topic: The Chaos Conspiracy has been released!
Replies: 942
Views: 660747

That sequence is the problem. If you track the original MM6 game, the Intro Button provided the Credits , and the three beginning game videos provide, not the credits, but the game-related videos. So the official release will stands as-is, in keeping with the original MM6 display sequences (Intro B...
by mkienenb
11 Jan 2010, 23:51
Topic: Never played any games in the series...which should I start
Replies: 15
Views: 4286

I wasn't really saying it was bad. I love the castle building stuff. Don't care one way or another about the character races. But I don't really care for add/remove active players. I never used it in MM4. In MM8 it seemed more like cheating. I was mostly commenting on how MM4 really did influence no...
by mkienenb
11 Jan 2010, 03:47
Topic: How about a MM GUI-driven map generator?
Replies: 31
Views: 8954

An area for non-programmers to help

Another area for non-programmers to help is to categorize all of the icon files in the icon.lod for MM6 (I'm specifically targeting MM6 for the first milestone of the project -- I don't expect MM7 and 8 will be much more difficult, but the slight differences in file formats would unnecessarily compl...
by mkienenb
11 Jan 2010, 03:44

MMLevelEditor developer setup instructions.txt

I have now created a document to describe how to get the MMLevelEditor (without an 8 -- not sure if we should come up with a better name) project up and running in its current form. http://mm8leveleditor.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/mm8leveleditor/org.gamenet.MMLevelEditor/docs/MMLevelEdit...
by mkienenb
11 Jan 2010, 01:52
Topic: new to MM4-5
Replies: 1
Views: 1470

Two options.

The "real" way -- take it to a blacksmith and pay to identify it -- over and over again :) Fortunately, it's really cheap.

The other way is to find the MM4&5 faq and look it up there -- or use the Prima Guide, but that's about all the guide is good for :)
by mkienenb
11 Jan 2010, 01:49
Topic: Never played any games in the series...which should I start
Replies: 15
Views: 4286

I was given MM6 when it first came out as a gift, and I think for most people, that's probably the best place to start. If someone had started me on MM4&5, I *might* have kept with it, provided I made it through the first town. I grew up on Ultima 1 and played through 4, wizardry 1, bard's tale,...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 21:07

Hmm, what coordinate system does it use? Y is up or Z is up? There is a 128x128 grid of height values. so Map(x,z) = y with y being up. In reality, it's arbitrary. Most of the time in the old MM8LevelEditor, I called the height coordinate z since it was the third one listed. Now I call it y because...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 20:58

GreatEmerald wrote:Hmm, what coordinate system does it use? Y is up or Z is up?
There is a 128x128 grid of height values.

so Map(x,z) = y with y being up.
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 19:50

As far as I can tell each height map pixel controls height of a single vertex. Yes, it's quite possible I made it more complicated than it really is. Maybe the heightmap[x,z] is the vertex rather than the point between heightmaps. But the result is the same. The x,z values of the vertex are fixed. ...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 15:28

Not sure I completely answered your question. Since MM works completely on height map data (also with normal vectors for MM7, not sure about MM6--my 3d graphic skills are poor, and I'm still figuring the graphic stuff out), we probably would limit the editing to changing the height map and normal a...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 14:50

All these sounds very interesting. Although I didn't understand most of them...haha. Thanks for your hard work, I wish I had the knowledge helping you. Cheers! :) Be careful what you wish for. You might not be able to help by decoding file formats or programming 3d views, but we have plenty of work...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 13:21
Topic: The Chaos Conspiracy has been released!
Replies: 942
Views: 660747

Maybe you can donate them to the new MMLevelEditor project -- see new thread. Ideally, I'd like to have a stripped-down distributable data set available with the editor, with no copyrighted assets in it, for starting completely new projects. I was going to quickly make "smiley-face" MM6 wi...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 12:22

How does the editing work? Per vertex/edge/poly? Since it would be very easy to use greyscale heightmaps for importing something like that. Not sure I completely answered your question. Since MM works completely on height map data (also with normal vectors for MM7, not sure about MM6--my 3d graphic...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 12:16

It's very flexible.
It can take height-map data from any source.

Since I actually contributed the ImageBasedHeightMap class back in 2004 to jME, that's certainly one possible source we can support :)
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 02:55

I won't promise this will all happen right away, but the platform I'm building it on is perfect for this type of project. It already provides every api you'd want for an editor, including built-in tutorials :) Here's another open source level editor project using the same techology: http://farm4.st...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 02:18

Re: How about a MM GUI-driven map generator?

It would sure be nice to have a GUI-driven MM map generator . I've been able to generate 15 new maps and associated mini-maps using custom-generated C-code and 'mas' hand-tweaking. But it would really be super if someone would take the binary-database info that I have and transform it into a GUI in...
by mkienenb
08 Jan 2010, 01:29
Topic: Color Palettes
Replies: 36
Views: 16085

Re: MM8LevelEditor image import palette handling

The only major problem that I have encountered in the editor occurs when rebuilding the SPRITES.LOD file. After extracting ALL from a modified file and then importing ALL into a 'virgin' SPRITES.LOD, only the graphics are imported and the local 'header' info remains unchanged. If an oversized sprit...
by mkienenb
07 Jan 2010, 17:35

Mike, I've constantly and reliably imported (for replacement) sprites and sprite-sets that have different sizes from the original using the MM8LevelEditor for our MM6-based TCC game. I've never encountered any problem whatsoever. FYI ... BDJ Thanks for the info. I don't know why it happens in some ...
by mkienenb
07 Jan 2010, 04:57

The MM8LevelEditor is able to reliably Import and Export any and all LOD-related files including .TGA.BMPs, .SPRITE.BMPs, .PCX formats, .SMK videos, et al. I've successfully done this dozens (if not hundreds) of times without problem or incident. BDJ[/size] Well, there have been some reports of bug...
by mkienenb
01 Jan 2010, 20:19
Topic: Arcomage 0.3
Replies: 58
Views: 24035

The answer to your legal question is no. You make a some wrong assumptions. "abandonware" is not a legal state. Something being available at Underdogs doesn't make it fair game. In the US, copyright law extends for 50 years + extensions, which for all practical purposes these days is forev...

Go to advanced search