Search found 152 matches

by Mlai
11 Jun 2011, 02:26
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: New unofical AI patche for h5
Replies: 71
Views: 73127

Does this mod just beef up AI and smooth out gameplay time... or does it change gameplay (other than what the above post showed in increase in options)? I don't mind having 8 skills instead of just 6, or having heroes pop up in critter battles... but does the mod make other changes such as balance c...
by Mlai
11 Jun 2011, 02:10
Topic: What's with all of the female units?
Replies: 161
Views: 90604

This may be a game, but the thread topic has moved into "what is realistic" territory. So he can discuss after-battle logistics. I agree that while the near-nudity can be explained away as fanaticism to culture and religion, the platform shoes are going too far. However , it doesn't detrac...
by Mlai
11 Jun 2011, 01:48
Topic: So what's with Blackhole's trailers?
Replies: 30
Views: 14339

Dude, I hate that crap (teaser videos). IMO that went out of style with the 90's. They want me to pay for something, they damn well better tell me what I'm buying. And I don't have the fanboy patience to play any jigsaw puzzles or Where's Waldos.
by Mlai
10 Jun 2011, 01:53
Topic: Isabel and Sheogh (spoilers)
Replies: 41
Views: 16847

Wait, Thundertitan you showed Slayer the way to TVtropes?
Somehow I get the notion that you were less than benevolent in your decision to do that... :devious:

by Mlai
10 Jun 2011, 01:46

The reason I feel that the BH dev diary video is more like that W40K round table than a reveal trailer (on a spectrum), is because that BH video communicates much more information than a slick reveal trailer with a movie narrator could. A reveal trailer with a "movie trailer" narration wou...
by Mlai
10 Jun 2011, 01:38
Topic: Nimbyism in HOMM (portal placement woes)
Replies: 57
Views: 18602

Either you think all portals are as big as L'Arc de Triomphe, or you skipped junior high school physics. :|

If we account for size scaling of objects in HoMM, a portal is either the size of an average fountain, or a low-lying peasant hovel.
by Mlai
09 Jun 2011, 02:30

Men can be ideal, whatever type of ideal you may prefer:
Image Image
by Mlai
09 Jun 2011, 02:14

You're assuming, in the battering ram/ catapult scenario, that there isn't an exact-same gatehouse built on the other side of the portal (either by the same town, or by the trade-partner town). Look. The portal is a door. You lock doors. Yes, someone can bash or pick the lock, but given how cheap a ...
by Mlai
09 Jun 2011, 01:57

I don't see how that "explanatory" dev diary trailer is any different from, say, this "trailer":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oatGPbCSIU

Except that the above dudes are more comfortable and less giddy. Maybe the bald French guy should have had some rehearsals.
by Mlai
08 Jun 2011, 16:08

Haha, interesting DE social/religious theories there, Slayer. I like them! So basically the males wear burqas, while females exalt the nude female form the same way the Greeks exalted the nude male form. I also agree that the DE females could use some changes to their dress/armour without losing the...
by Mlai
08 Jun 2011, 15:52

Militarily, Slayer is correct here. A double-wall fort built all around a portal is a vulnerable fort built at greater expense, while also impeding the portal-commerce that is the entire reason you established the town/city next to the portal. I think the best way to guard a portal is to simply erec...
by Mlai
28 May 2011, 14:03
Topic: Isabel and Sheogh (spoilers)
Replies: 41
Views: 16847

I do have to admit that I too was baffled by the real-fake Isabel storyline. However, I didn't really care because I was (1) too bleary-eyed from playing the game for days straight. (2) laughing too hard from the hilariously bad screenplay that would have made Ed Wood proud. When Raelag was slowly w...
by Mlai
25 May 2011, 14:35
Topic: naming of sanctuary units
Replies: 11
Views: 7166

I had hoped that a French developer, being European, would be more "cosmopolitan" and more in touch with how wonderful the rest of the world's cultures are outside of (1)their own country, (2)USA, and (3)Japan. Apparently, no. France is just as filled with anime fanbois as the USA. Don't g...
by Mlai
24 May 2011, 15:19

Knights do fight on foot, because they are humans with legs. But they are meant to fight as cavalry, and they would prefer to fight as mounted given the option, because they have the money for it (related to their feudal status) and because it's BETTER. Jesus, you pretty much said the same things yo...
by Mlai
24 May 2011, 15:10
Topic: Cosmology of the Might and Magic Universe and Ashan
Replies: 35
Views: 50595

I liked everything about the planes and the primordial gods and everything... but the bit about magic as currency seems forced. It doesn't seem necessary. Magic in HOMM is not in need of some sort of overarching explanation.
by Mlai
23 May 2011, 12:56

Exercise in logic:

1. Not all horse-mounted warriors are knights.
2. But all knights are horse-mounted warriors.

Or something like that. How do those things go?
by Mlai
22 May 2011, 12:03

So basically you just didn't like the "over-excitement" of that bald skinny French dev in the earlier trailer/ dev diary.

Once he calms down and dresses like a French adult, and we have the composers who also dress and speak like working adults who don't live in a basement, you like it.
by Mlai
11 May 2011, 15:19

I thought the initial video is the CG trailer where you saw that ancient angel hero's death.

Talking about the various factions within a game definitely belongs in the category of "dev diaries."
by Mlai
11 May 2011, 15:15

Given that the definition of a knight is...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knight
Definition of KNIGHT
a (1) : a mounted man-at-arms serving a feudal superior;
... I think I'll just stop typing here.
by Mlai
10 May 2011, 14:14

I've always seen devs show up and talk about their games, in the "dev diary" videos I've watched. Maybe your problem is that you don't like their faces, and you feel they lack charisma? A game designer is not required to be Brad Pitt, you know. Maybe they should have hired an official spea...

Go to advanced search