Search found 215 matches

by JSE
26 Feb 2014, 16:53
Forum: News
Topic: Zero Punctation Review: MMXL
Replies: 7
Views: 5540

Zero Punctation Review: MMXL

Most Yahtzee reviews are 90 % entertainment and only 10 % actual criticism. Within these 10 %, however, there is usually some wisdom and valuable insight to be found. The same is true about this particular review. The really important part -- in my opinion -- is when he argues that a step-based move...
by JSE
23 Jan 2014, 18:54
Topic: Finally...
Replies: 30
Views: 12780

Finally...

Oh, it has a professional score on Metacritic already. 72 % feels about right, I'd say.
by JSE
29 Dec 2013, 03:58
Topic: MMX Preview by RPG Codex
Replies: 25
Views: 10722

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

@ jeff: || they stayed away from the old universe because they felt it is almost impossible to meet fans' expectations. || That might have been their impression, yes, but it was certainly not a wise choice. The original M&M material was probably among the easiest to continue or extend as the &qu...
by JSE
28 Dec 2013, 04:12

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

I absolutely agree! Games can be works of art, and so making games and -- in this case -- finding a good way of continuing a game series can be artistic processes involving talent and "feel" on top of logic and craftsmanship. The question is: What does this observation say about UbiSoft's ...
by JSE
28 Dec 2013, 03:23

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

I trust that most M&M fans are completely capable of judging a creative product -- like a game universe -- based on its quality alone and not based on distrust or cynicism. The M&M fans I know are intelligent and open-minded people. Apart from that, the industry shows us that it is possible ...
by JSE
24 Dec 2013, 18:58

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

What would really satisfy "those grumpy old MM fans" (at least this one) would be a return of the original M&M universe. MMX -- as it seems to me -- is basically just a Legend of Grimrock set on Ashan. While it mimics the user interface of first-era M&M games stylistically, it mana...
by JSE
24 Dec 2013, 17:31
Topic: Christmas 2013
Replies: 9
Views: 8991

Christmas 2013

Happy holidays to you and yours!

Let's hope for a time when M&M games will again be good enough to be considered as Christmas presents. ;)
by JSE
13 Nov 2013, 17:30
Topic: MMX Balance Q&A
Replies: 1
Views: 2064

MMX Balance Q&A

It's quite an interesting fact that the first answer mentions a character named Oscar *from Sorpigal*... Is M&M 10 finally going to merge the universes (which would be a very reasonable decision) or is this just another case of shallow name-dropping?
by JSE
07 Nov 2013, 15:35
Topic: JVC Available?
Replies: 26
Views: 17316

JVC Available?

Competition in the fantasy strategy department and on the gaming market in general. Heroes 3 actually manged to top several nation-wide bestseller lists in those days.
by JSE
07 Nov 2013, 02:57

JVC Available?

Even though I would have chosen different words, I think that in essence we're both quite disappointed by the two Heroes games created in UbiSoft's name so far. With regard to central aspects like gameplay, style, and overall design they are just not on par with any of the games from the NWC era (es...
by JSE
01 Nov 2013, 18:16

JVC Available?

If JVC is going to continue working for EA, we can pretty much stop speculating. But all we know at the moment is that Victory Games was shut down. To me, it seems likely that Jon is not too pleased about this situation and might want to seek out possibilities outside of EA. Maybe it would be an int...
by JSE
30 Oct 2013, 22:09

JVC Available?

JVC is in his early 50s now -- certainly not too old to be creative and make great games. If age is a factor at all...

Apart from that, given the current state of the M&M franchise, I'm quite sure that the return of the original visionary is our only chance for a positive turn.
by JSE
30 Oct 2013, 20:39

JVC Available?

Well, this is true for every game community, I'd say. The sole reason why the new C&C was cancelled were the complaints of the C&C community after all... Apart from that, I think we pretty much know what we want: We want Heroes and M&M games as good as the originals (games released until...
by JSE
30 Oct 2013, 18:06

JVC Available?

I wholeheartedly agree, Ehlesgens! Also, an involvement of JVC (a major one at least) would probably convince lots of fans of the original M&M era to return to the franchise.
by JSE
07 Oct 2013, 01:28
Topic: New Games, Old Feel?
Replies: 34
Views: 17280

New Games, Old Feel?

@ Lomedae:

Bravo! You *really* hit the nail on the head there! We don't complain because we're nostalgic, we just want a high-quality M&M game again after all these years.
by JSE
11 Jul 2013, 23:15
Topic: Hexes for Heroes! (Online)
Replies: 5
Views: 3578

Hexes for Heroes! (Online)

@ Kalah: Unlike the other games? -- The battlefields in Heroes 2 and 3 were based on hexagonal spaces. Considering that Heroes 3 still is the most popular Heroes, Heroes Online seems to be going back to the roots. What really unsettles me, though, is the bizarre idea of introducing unit *facing* int...
by JSE
23 Jun 2013, 14:49
Topic: MMX Voting #2
Replies: 29
Views: 12476

MMX Voting #2

It seems they want to add some in-game/in-world music like in Skyrim.

I'm not opposed to to this at all -- but it seems quite irrelevant at this point. I would much rather get some information about the actual soundtrack and see a confirmation that Rob King, Paul Romero and their team are involved.
by JSE
20 Jun 2013, 00:34
Topic: The MMX Team
Replies: 10
Views: 7852

The MMX Team

Isn't it heartwarming to see that UbiSoft really cares about individual people -- especially after their phenomenal treatment of the previous M&M developement team...
by JSE
29 Apr 2013, 15:42
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: A Free Lunch
Replies: 4
Views: 2803

A Free Lunch

Using Monotype Corsiva as the standard font was one of the worst visual design decisions made for Heroes 5. It's a nice font for invitation cards and such, but it's just totally out of place and unreadable for longer texts. The game text probably looked much better in the Cyrillic (Russian) original.
by JSE
23 Apr 2013, 21:22
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: MMX Dwarf
Replies: 9
Views: 4085

MMX Dwarf

Sure, rich characters, nobles, priests and such can have a few adornments here and there. Fine with me. What I was referring to, however, is the general tendency of today's fantasy artists to put ornaments onto basically any item. The result usually looks very busy. In my opinion, most weapons and a...

Go to advanced search