Search found 190 matches

by JSE
Dec 1 2012, 3:02
Forum: News
Topic: Kickstart Larry Elmore
Replies: 5
Views: 1920

Kickstart Larry Elmore

@ Angelspit: Not even of the old "red box" artwork done by Mr. Elmore? I think it was just amazing. Unfortunately, he wasn't involved in the 3rd and 4th editions of D&D. @ Marzhin: Good to hear! :) Let's move away from Warhammer and Warcraft influences and the hyper detail of Heroes V and VI and let...
by JSE
Nov 30 2012, 3:14
Topic: Kickstart Larry Elmore
Replies: 5
Views: 1920

Kickstart Larry Elmore

The box illustration for M&M VII was actually done by Boris Vallejo (another great artist) -- Elmore did the cover art for VI and VIII. Nevertheless, Larry Elmore sure is one of the most important fantasy artists of all time, and that artbook is going to be enormous! When it's out, maybe we should b...
by JSE
Jul 12 2012, 13:27
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: Crag the Marzhin
Replies: 13
Views: 2491

Crag the Marzhin

I find it amazing in a sad way how UbiSoft and their associates don't miss an opportunity to use characters from the original M&M universe for marketing their new universe... If they really believe it's important to rely on the original universe (and I couldn't agree more with that), whyever did the...
by JSE
Oct 18 2011, 1:15
Topic: Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no
Replies: 21
Views: 4301

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

@ Bandobras Took: "Is resource management absent from Heroes 6? No. Was resource management a joke in Heroes 4? Yes. Does this complaint add anything new that was not mentioned and replied to in the interview? No. Does it suggest an improved plan which adds the same number of rare resources while ad...
by JSE
Oct 16 2011, 15:58

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

I think it all comes down to how we understand the role of the "fan": You seem to have the impression that a fan's top priority should be loyalty to the franchise and the company who owns it. In my opinion, this is a conuterproductive and even dangerous definition of fandom. I think that being a fan...
by JSE
Oct 15 2011, 1:33

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

@ CloudRiderX: First of all I did not accuse Erwan of anything: I've just taken the liberty of assuming that Erwan means what he says. By saying -- quote -- "games with a lot of resources are not strategy but management games", he actually expresses that in his opinion, the previous Heroes games wer...
by JSE
Oct 14 2011, 3:07

Erwan Q&A at Gamer.no

Up until Heroes 6, Heroes had been a multifaceted strategy series. One of these facets was resource management. It was the combination of these different facets that made Heroes so special. Based on these statements, however, it's now quite obvious to me that Erwan does not appreciate the original H...
by JSE
Sep 16 2011, 0:01
Topic: Video: GamesCom Q&A
Replies: 18
Views: 3400

Video: GamesCom Q&A

@ Panda Tar: *** So, you'd rather have them throw in the game, say, as a "nostalgic resource" with even their original stories? That way, people who liked them could play with them in regular maps (or even appease map makers with that possibility). And they wouldn't have this new incarnation backgro...
by JSE
Sep 15 2011, 20:48

That's exactly what I'm talking about: The character Tazar was ripped from the original universe (as a native of Antagarich) and was "reinvented" and "re-explained" for the new world of Ashan. The only "homage" or "respect" involved is a small footnote reminding us fans (!) that his first incarnatio...
by JSE
Sep 15 2011, 16:49

While I think it's great that the guys from Ubisoft are addressing and answering fan questions, I just can't get over two of Erwan's replies 1.) Random map generator: The solid RMG that came with Armageddon's Blade was (and still is) one of the integral factors of Heroes 3's immense replay value and...
by JSE
Aug 20 2011, 2:42
Topic: Ubisoft Cancelled a M&M Project
Replies: 20
Views: 2401

Ubisoft Cancelled a M&M Project

I agree. Besides, Asian art has a strong enough influence on the new M&M games as it is.
by JSE
Jul 28 2011, 12:41
Topic: JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium
Replies: 32
Views: 10271

JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium

It's of course true that it doesn't really make sense to ask for JVC's return if the man actually doesn't want to return and instead work on different projects. That was probably the case in the past. However, the burning question is: Would he want to return *now* if UbiSoft made him another offer?
by JSE
Jul 27 2011, 23:06
Topic: JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium
Replies: 32
Views: 10271

JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium

The most important bit of information for me is JVC's *personal* confirmation that UbiSoft actually did make him an offer to continue working on M&M games.

This gives me something to think about...
by JSE
Jul 6 2011, 16:57
Forum: Articles
Topic: Like Tears in Rain
Replies: 151
Views: 27299

Like Tears in Rain

*** If the current version of the game is not considered conservative enough by the fanbase, there is at least quite some solace in the fact that things haven't been shaken up beyond recognition. *** I must say that as a fan of the original Heroes games, I feel quite mocked by the assumption that I ...
by JSE
Jun 24 2011, 18:10
Topic: H6 Fire Elemental
Views: 3602

H6 Fire Elemental

My thoughts exactly.
by JSE
Jun 24 2011, 16:11

H6 Fire Elemental

Diversity could have been achieved in subtle ways -- it wouldn't have been necessary to change the style radically.
by JSE
Jun 23 2011, 23:31

H6 Fire Elemental

Isn't the continuation of style also an important aspect of creating an actual sequel? I believe that the art of the original Heroes games (1-4) had an important influence on the characteristic mood of the series.
by JSE
Jun 22 2011, 22:47

H6 Fire Elemental

I agree that the Heroes 4 elementals are the best yet. Each of them was unique in terms of looks and abilities.

And this one *really* looks more like a magma or lava elemental. Maybe sheer "fire" seemed to simplistic to them. The Heroes 6 artists obviously don't understand that less can be more.
by JSE
Jun 16 2011, 10:08
Topic: Heroes VI Combat Video 2
Replies: 41
Views: 4611

Heroes VI Combat Video 2

While I find the increased tactical dimension of creature abilities and effects quite interesting, I'm very concerned about the slow speed of combat. All the animations, graphical details, and perspective changes seem to take a lot of time. This is one of the flaws of Heroes V, and they seem to repe...
by JSE
Jun 7 2011, 17:27
Topic: Might and Magic Raiders?
Replies: 41
Views: 10936

Might and Magic Raiders?

Should UbiSoft actually be self-reflective here? -- The Might and Magic raiders? :)

Go to advanced search