Search found 215 matches

by JSE
28 Aug 2014, 23:08
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: H7 Academy Town Screen
Replies: 21
Views: 15568

H7 Academy Town Screen

I agree that Heroes 2 had the most interesting and memorable wizards' town screen -- with the halfling habitat being the coolest creature dwelling imo. Also, the town's musical theme was absolutely fantastic (both the original one and the Price of Loyalty one).
by JSE
28 Aug 2014, 00:39

H7 Academy Town Screen

What my previous comments certainly did make very clear is that I was referring to a town screen. And what does a town screen show us? -- The typical layout of a town of that particular type. It doesn't show us how unique individual towns look. So, naturally, my comment wasn't meant to refer to nont...
by JSE
27 Aug 2014, 23:03
Forum: News
Topic: Heroes Online Dev Blog - Changes in balancing and mechanics
Replies: 8
Views: 5306

Heroes Online Dev Blog - Changes in balancing and mechanics

Are the main Heroes series and Heroes Online actually so similar? From the screenshots I've seen and the reviews I've read, Heroes Online seems more like a mix between a browser-based MMORPG and the new King's Bounty series. In other words: Heroes is a strategy series with some incorporated RPG elem...
by JSE
27 Aug 2014, 22:38

H7 Academy Town Screen

@ hellegennes: First of all, if you think that discussing the internal logic of a piece of game art is insignificant, you might as well say that talking about game art in general is a waste of time. It certainly is very relevant to me. Your comparison of this town screen to Celeste, the city in the ...
by JSE
27 Aug 2014, 14:38

H7 Academy Town Screen

@ hellegennes: Even wizards probably know the perks of building on firm ground instead of supporting most of their towns with magic. The ones in Heroes 2 and 3 seemed aware of that. Also, those permanent levitation spells used to keep entire buildings and structures in the air seem like an awful was...
by JSE
26 Aug 2014, 22:34

H7 Academy Town Screen

Like nearly all of the new Ubi era artwork, this one looks too over the top. It crosses the line between fantasy and surrealism, and that's not what I'd like to see. At the same time, I'll admit that this is not the worst piece of Heroes 7 artwork I've seen -- that prize goes to the "iconic&quo...
by JSE
17 Aug 2014, 16:11
Topic: Heroes VII Announced
Replies: 68
Views: 28622

Heroes VII Announced

The IGN video acutally confirmed my worst fears: Ubisoft seems to think it's best to focus on the new visual effects, eye candies, and story bits instead of showing us some new and interesting gameplay features. Is this because there really is nothing new to show? Flanking could potentially be a goo...
by JSE
14 Aug 2014, 01:05

Heroes VII Announced

@grendel99: While I'm certainly flattered that I could contribute to your excitement, please also consider the fact that all these things that we like about Heroes 7 so far are elements that were in the series before -- up until the disaster that was Heroes 6. From what I've seen and read of Heroes ...
by JSE
13 Aug 2014, 17:39

Heroes VII Announced

The German PC games magazine GameStar has an article with some additional information direct from Limbic: 1.) The second faction vote (after Fortress and Sylvan) will be between Dungeon and Inferno. 2.) The limitation of faction types is due to budget restraints -- i.e. Ubisoft hasn't given Limbic m...
by JSE
12 Aug 2014, 13:05
Topic: GamesCom: Upcoming News
Replies: 35
Views: 18438

GamesCom: Upcoming News

@ Avonu: Oh, interesting -- we seem to have a confirmation then. Where is this screenshot from? @ Kalah and hellegennes: For me, the limitation of resources in Heroes 6 also meant a limitation of the scope of gameplay. Resource management and the use of the marketplace were important strategic featu...
by JSE
11 Aug 2014, 13:03

@ Kalah: I'm sure you are right that many of the smaller gameplay decisions were made by the (very poorly treated) developer teams themselves. What about the big decisions, though? If I remember correctly, the highly controversial decision to reduce the resources of Heroes 6 to just three was made b...
by JSE
10 Aug 2014, 16:20

You seem to have a lot of patience with a publisher whose three major attempts at continuing an established franchise (Heroes 5, Heroes 6, and M&M 10) have failed to please the majority of the fanbase. In my view, we have every reason to be very skeptical and cautious about any future M&M re...
by JSE
08 Aug 2014, 13:32

We're seeing a glimmer of something -- very probably Heroes 7 -- but what kind of hope are you talking about? The hope that this one will be a lot better than Heroes 6? That would be great of course, but all I've seen so far are some cryptic Ubi lore hints.
by JSE
03 Aug 2014, 08:54
Topic: What Comes Next?
Replies: 62
Views: 26134

What Comes Next?

Why would 7 units per faction ruin the game?
by JSE
29 Jul 2014, 03:06

What Comes Next?

I think I made it very clear that my dislike of Ashan has nothing to do with how much I liked Enroth in the past or how great the NWC games were. And even though I still regard JVC as one of the best game designers out there (because he is one of the few who seem understand the principle of "le...
by JSE
28 Jul 2014, 03:18

What Comes Next?

Where do you read that I want Ashan to be like Enroth? Copying a fantasy world can never result in anything good -- especially not when it's copied in such an unoriginal and obvious way. For Ashan to be a good world it would have to be good on its own merits -- which in my opinion is not the case. R...
by JSE
27 Jul 2014, 15:38

What Comes Next?

---Well, considering the amount of work the designers have put into the new universe, it could be conceived as insulting to call it bad on the single merit that it isn't the same as the old.--- The fact that Ashan isn't Enroth has *nothing* to do with my critcism of it. I've been playing games set i...
by JSE
26 Jul 2014, 23:59

What Comes Next?

What was unfair or even insulting about this little joke? Romanov was simply using humor to express a sentiment that many M&M fans share (me including): An enormous disappointment with the world of Ashan, its conepts, its characters, its overall design. Considering that we had something as fanta...
by JSE
22 Jul 2014, 00:28

What Comes Next?

Great finds! I'm especially intrigued by the video of the Paul Romero/Rob King recording session. Heroes 7 is definitely the most likely M&M game to come out next -- for the obvious but important reason that today, the Heroes series is much more popular than the M&M RPGs. Also, the low-end p...
by JSE
18 Jul 2014, 22:26

What Comes Next?

I agree, cjlee. Ubisoft managed to lower the overall quality level of the M&M franchise so much that probably any halfway decent indie or amateur game would be a better and worthier candidate. So, yes, I love the idea of a crowdfunded M&M game! I don't even care if it's an M&M RPG or a H...

Go to advanced search