Search found 215 matches

by JSE
20 Feb 2016, 17:52
Forum: News
Topic: Ubisoft Release 1.7 and Unity
Replies: 29
Views: 19919

Re: Ubisoft Release 1.7 and Unity

well wheter it's a desperate action or the reason is what they've stated, that they stumbled upon the old story scripts, why not just be pleased they decided to go back to Axeoth. I think, as a general rule, it's important to not only care about results but also about the way they were achieved. In...
by JSE
20 Feb 2016, 14:12
Topic: Ubisoft Release 1.7 and Unity
Replies: 29
Views: 19919

Re: Ubisoft Release 1.7 and Unity

Hiring Terry -- the main writer of Heroes IV -- *would have* been a great decision ten years ago when Ubisoft took over and Heroes V was made. Instead, Ubi's arguments were either "the original lore is too thin" or "we are not familiar with the original lore and prefer to create our o...
by JSE
26 Sep 2014, 02:43
Topic: Heroes VII: Resources presentation
Replies: 13
Views: 7006

Heroes VII: Resources presentation

From the perspective of map making, resources which are not tied into the specific lore of Ashan would be better suited. Not all scenarios and campaigns are meant be to set in the same world after all.
by JSE
23 Sep 2014, 16:45
Forum: Heroes VII
Topic: Vote for Sylvan Line up
Replies: 23
Views: 17005

I'm like you my friends, i think they ask maybe too much for the community. It is quite imporant to listen what people have to say about the game, but concerning the core gameplay, let developers do their jobs and listen a little bit players, not only wait for people's vote... The creation of the g...
by JSE
23 Sep 2014, 16:06
Forum: Heroes VII
Topic: Vote for Sylvan Line up
Replies: 23
Views: 17005

I agree that Ubisoft shouldn't be making these polls (for various reasons). It seems to me that finding out the fans' opinions isn't the main purpose of the polls anway -- first and foremost, they are clever marketing tools to give Heroes fans the impression (or illusion?) of actual creative influen...
by JSE
18 Sep 2014, 18:16
Topic: Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan
Replies: 9
Views: 5324

Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan

The M&M 7 elf is a half-naked tribal warrior wearing a loincloth while the Heroes 7 emerald knight is clad in -- and I'm quoting the official descriptive text from the Ubisoft website here -- "flamboyant armour" from head to toe (with the strategic exception of the bare midriff of cour...
by JSE
18 Sep 2014, 14:02
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: The Gold Mine
Replies: 22
Views: 7860

The Gold Mine

That's right. The artists don't seem to understand the concept of "less is more".
by JSE
18 Sep 2014, 13:40
Topic: Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan
Replies: 9
Views: 5324

Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan

Are you referring to this one? -- Elven Warrior. Except for the fact that both seem to favor the color green and wield a polearm, there is no resemblance at all.
by JSE
18 Sep 2014, 13:14

The Gold Mine

Exactly! We don't necessarily want the locations to look realistic, we want them to look good, appropriate and tasteful. This gold mine is an example of how not to do it. A simple basic concept was over-decorated and now seems weird rather than convincing or organic.
by JSE
17 Sep 2014, 10:40

The Gold Mine

Sure, the adventure map locations were never really realistic but instead symbolic. Having said that, this particular mine with its strange outcroppings and dancing lights looks much more artificial than any of the previous gold mines. In fact, it seems more like a ride in Disneyland than an actual ...
by JSE
15 Sep 2014, 11:53
Topic: Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!
Replies: 80
Views: 32654

Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

@ Karmakeld and hellegennes:
What strongly hints at a Warhammer Fantasy influence is the very specific combination of treants (treemen), dryads, and especially blade dancers (war dancers). It's about as telling as giving a dwarven faction Troll Slayers.
by JSE
14 Sep 2014, 13:35
Topic: Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!
Replies: 80
Views: 32654

Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

Ubisoft has borrowed heavily from Warhammer Fantasy ideas and aesthetics from the get-go. Even though I'm a Warhammer fan, I think this "inspiration" is way too blunt and obvious.
by JSE
13 Sep 2014, 13:15
Topic: Haven Warrior
Replies: 15
Views: 7113

Haven Warrior

Long swords like claymores were used in the late middle-ages and early modern period, however, they had far thinner blades and never weighed more than 3.5 kg. By the looks of it, this "steel club" could easily weigh 10 kg or more -- making it much too heavy to actually fight with it. This ...
by JSE
12 Sep 2014, 10:23
Topic: Haven Warrior
Replies: 15
Views: 7113

Haven Warrior

The guy definitely looks more like a Blood Bowl player than an actual soldier or combatant. The art style is bizarrely over-the-top as usual: a sword that no one could effectively use in fighting, shoulder pads far too bulky to be helpful, and of course a gazillion of twirls and embellishments where...
by JSE
04 Sep 2014, 01:40
Topic: Rob & Paul Interview
Replies: 14
Views: 6327

Rob & Paul Interview

It's interesting Rob mentions the Heroes 4 Grass theme as one of his favourites because like all other so called "adventure themes" it wasn't even written by Rob or Paul Romero but by one Paul James. These Irish folk tracks are the only pieces of Heroes music I've never really liked. They ...
by JSE
02 Sep 2014, 16:09
Topic: H7 Arcane Library
Replies: 4
Views: 2752

H7 Arcane Library

How do you guys like the looks of the character (hero?) on horseback? What do you think about his and/or the horse's outfit?
by JSE
01 Sep 2014, 02:57
Topic: HoMM7 Keyart
Replies: 27
Views: 11881

HoMM7 Keyart

@ hellegennes: The Heroes 3 box illustration is *exactly* what I described. The other NWC Heroes games had more abstract cover motifs (a random knight hero, the Ironfist crest, and an arrangement of four town screens) -- none of them of outstanding quality but still done in their own unique style. T...
by JSE
31 Aug 2014, 03:14

HoMM7 Keyart

@ Kalah: I don't think that generic fantasy is the problem of this illustration but rather its generic vibe in a broader sense. In other words: It doesn't seem to represent what's going on in the actual game very well. A battle scene involving various typical creatures from the game would not only b...
by JSE
30 Aug 2014, 15:42

HoMM7 Keyart

@ Kalah: Why would the fact that some of us criticize this piece of art imply that they/we can do it any better or have a much better idea? Presenting this to us on the website's front page with the commentary section enabled just creates the impression that our opinion is valued. That's why we shar...
by JSE
29 Aug 2014, 23:00

HoMM7 Keyart

I think that both vicheron and mr.hackcrag have described very accurately what effect this piece of art has and how it was most likely approached by the artist and/or the producers: It's supposed to be the marriage of generic fantasy and a bombastic movie fantasy style in the vein of LotR and the mo...

Go to advanced search