Search found 190 matches

by JSE
Sep 18 2014, 18:16
Forum: News
Topic: Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan
Replies: 9
Views: 2676

Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan

The M&M 7 elf is a half-naked tribal warrior wearing a loincloth while the Heroes 7 emerald knight is clad in -- and I'm quoting the official descriptive text from the Ubisoft website here -- "flamboyant armour" from head to toe (with the strategic exception of the bare midriff of cour...
by JSE
Sep 18 2014, 14:02
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: The Gold Mine
Replies: 22
Views: 3620

The Gold Mine

That's right. The artists don't seem to understand the concept of "less is more".
by JSE
Sep 18 2014, 13:40
Topic: Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan
Replies: 9
Views: 2676

Heroes VII: Line up and model for Sylvan

Are you referring to this one? -- Elven Warrior. Except for the fact that both seem to favor the color green and wield a polearm, there is no resemblance at all.
by JSE
Sep 18 2014, 13:14

The Gold Mine

Exactly! We don't necessarily want the locations to look realistic, we want them to look good, appropriate and tasteful. This gold mine is an example of how not to do it. A simple basic concept was over-decorated and now seems weird rather than convincing or organic.
by JSE
Sep 17 2014, 10:40

The Gold Mine

Sure, the adventure map locations were never really realistic but instead symbolic. Having said that, this particular mine with its strange outcroppings and dancing lights looks much more artificial than any of the previous gold mines. In fact, it seems more like a ride in Disneyland than an actual ...
by JSE
Sep 15 2014, 11:53
Topic: Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!
Replies: 80
Views: 14248

Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

@ Karmakeld and hellegennes:
What strongly hints at a Warhammer Fantasy influence is the very specific combination of treants (treemen), dryads, and especially blade dancers (war dancers). It's about as telling as giving a dwarven faction Troll Slayers.
by JSE
Sep 14 2014, 13:35
Topic: Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!
Replies: 80
Views: 14248

Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

Ubisoft has borrowed heavily from Warhammer Fantasy ideas and aesthetics from the get-go. Even though I'm a Warhammer fan, I think this "inspiration" is way too blunt and obvious.
by JSE
Sep 13 2014, 13:15
Topic: Haven Warrior
Replies: 15
Views: 3350

Haven Warrior

Long swords like claymores were used in the late middle-ages and early modern period, however, they had far thinner blades and never weighed more than 3.5 kg. By the looks of it, this "steel club" could easily weigh 10 kg or more -- making it much too heavy to actually fight with it. This ...
by JSE
Sep 12 2014, 10:23
Topic: Haven Warrior
Replies: 15
Views: 3350

Haven Warrior

The guy definitely looks more like a Blood Bowl player than an actual soldier or combatant. The art style is bizarrely over-the-top as usual: a sword that no one could effectively use in fighting, shoulder pads far too bulky to be helpful, and of course a gazillion of twirls and embellishments where...
by JSE
Sep 4 2014, 1:40
Topic: Rob & Paul Interview
Replies: 14
Views: 3028

Rob & Paul Interview

It's interesting Rob mentions the Heroes 4 Grass theme as one of his favourites because like all other so called "adventure themes" it wasn't even written by Rob or Paul Romero but by one Paul James. These Irish folk tracks are the only pieces of Heroes music I've never really liked. They ...
by JSE
Sep 2 2014, 16:09
Topic: H7 Arcane Library
Replies: 4
Views: 1562

H7 Arcane Library

How do you guys like the looks of the character (hero?) on horseback? What do you think about his and/or the horse's outfit?
by JSE
Sep 1 2014, 2:57
Topic: HoMM7 Keyart
Replies: 27
Views: 6719

HoMM7 Keyart

@ hellegennes: The Heroes 3 box illustration is *exactly* what I described. The other NWC Heroes games had more abstract cover motifs (a random knight hero, the Ironfist crest, and an arrangement of four town screens) -- none of them of outstanding quality but still done in their own unique style. T...
by JSE
Aug 31 2014, 3:14

HoMM7 Keyart

@ Kalah: I don't think that generic fantasy is the problem of this illustration but rather its generic vibe in a broader sense. In other words: It doesn't seem to represent what's going on in the actual game very well. A battle scene involving various typical creatures from the game would not only b...
by JSE
Aug 30 2014, 15:42

HoMM7 Keyart

@ Kalah: Why would the fact that some of us criticize this piece of art imply that they/we can do it any better or have a much better idea? Presenting this to us on the website's front page with the commentary section enabled just creates the impression that our opinion is valued. That's why we shar...
by JSE
Aug 29 2014, 23:00

HoMM7 Keyart

I think that both vicheron and mr.hackcrag have described very accurately what effect this piece of art has and how it was most likely approached by the artist and/or the producers: It's supposed to be the marriage of generic fantasy and a bombastic movie fantasy style in the vein of LotR and the mo...
by JSE
Aug 28 2014, 23:08
Topic: H7 Academy Town Screen
Replies: 21
Views: 11018

H7 Academy Town Screen

I agree that Heroes 2 had the most interesting and memorable wizards' town screen -- with the halfling habitat being the coolest creature dwelling imo. Also, the town's musical theme was absolutely fantastic (both the original one and the Price of Loyalty one).
by JSE
Aug 28 2014, 0:39

H7 Academy Town Screen

What my previous comments certainly did make very clear is that I was referring to a town screen. And what does a town screen show us? -- The typical layout of a town of that particular type. It doesn't show us how unique individual towns look. So, naturally, my comment wasn't meant to refer to nont...
by JSE
Aug 27 2014, 23:03
Topic: Heroes Online Dev Blog - Changes in balancing and mechanics
Replies: 8
Views: 2658

Heroes Online Dev Blog - Changes in balancing and mechanics

Are the main Heroes series and Heroes Online actually so similar? From the screenshots I've seen and the reviews I've read, Heroes Online seems more like a mix between a browser-based MMORPG and the new King's Bounty series. In other words: Heroes is a strategy series with some incorporated RPG elem...
by JSE
Aug 27 2014, 22:38

H7 Academy Town Screen

@ hellegennes: First of all, if you think that discussing the internal logic of a piece of game art is insignificant, you might as well say that talking about game art in general is a waste of time. It certainly is very relevant to me. Your comparison of this town screen to Celeste, the city in the ...
by JSE
Aug 27 2014, 14:38

H7 Academy Town Screen

@ hellegennes: Even wizards probably know the perks of building on firm ground instead of supporting most of their towns with magic. The ones in Heroes 2 and 3 seemed aware of that. Also, those permanent levitation spells used to keep entire buildings and structures in the air seem like an awful was...

Go to advanced search